Jets at Pats Opening Night?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by CJLang, Mar 13, 2015.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

After reading this blurb from Mike Reiss I'm thinking the Jets and Pats would definitely bring the fire for opening night! I think its a natural!

The day after the Super Bowl, we had a little lighthearted fun by ranking the likelihood of each potential season-opening opponent for the New England Patriots. Much has happened since that point, so let's tweak the rankings.

New rankings 1. Jets (previous ranking 4)
    2. Bills (3)
    3. Eagles (2)
    4. Steelers (1)
    5. Dolphins (6)
    6. Washington (5)
    7. Jaguars (same)
    8. Titans (same)

With Darrelle Revis signing with the New York Jets, that storyline along with the other big changes with that franchise elevated a possible season-opening Patriots-Jets matchup to the No. 1 spot. We originally had the Pittsburgh Steelers there, and while that would likely be a good game, the storylines to generate season-opening buzz aren't close to being as compelling.

The Buffalo Bills' new look with head coach Rex Ryan and running back LeSean McCoy also moved them up the ranks, while Ndamukong Suh and the Miami Dolphins just jumped one spot because that was the season-opening matchup last year.

One of the biggest takeaways from going through this exercise is that AFC East football could be more exciting to a wider audience in 2015, in part because of some of the big-name additions for each club.

From your view, who do you like most for the opener?

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I hope so. Rather have you guys week 1 than late in the year.

I think so too, although the NFL would have to be really tempted to put the Eagles in there. Revis would be a big storyline, though

3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I'd rather it be Pittsburgh. Away teams rarely win on that opening night game. I think only once since they started this.

Give me Jacksonville at home week 1.

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

As for the AFC East NEP is still number one. It's not even close as of yet. They again decided not to overpay a star player and lost both of their starting Cbs. They would have had to pay Revis $20 mil this year and take a 25 cap hit. He apparently was not willing to give them any kind of deal to stay in New England. Belichick and Kraft jumped at getting him at a good one year salary of 12 mil and won a SB partially because of that. But don't worry he'll sign someone elses discards and get a lot out of them. Whereas all Rex did was bellyache through the press about not having a cover corner. Meanwhile he called a predictable defense which killed them all season esp on 3rd and longs.

5. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

80% chance of it being jets. Bittersweet since we finally get a SNF game, but we're pretty much sacrificial lambs (cowboys won @ giants in 2012, but that's it)

6. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I think it's very likely that's the way it goes down.

Jets seem to be trending up both locally and nationally.

Then factor in the Revis storyline (I wonder if he'll get his ring that night)

Plus maybe seeing the Pats celebrate their title will inspire this team. Getting the Raiders at home Week 1 last season sure didn't.

7. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Ugh, I don't want to play the Pats away week 1. It would still take a major upset to win, particularly because we'll have a completely new offense who doesn't have experience against real competition.

That being said, the media will eat this game up. Probably the first time a 4-12 team plays in the opening matchup. I can see it happening, though.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  8. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Dammit I don't want to start the season with a loss,NE hasn't lost a home game since week 15 of the 2012 season and i don't count week 17 this past year when they sat half the team.

9. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I don't think the NFL will reward a 4-12 team the honor of being apart of NFL Opening Day, no matter the rivalry. I think Steelers/Pats will be the game. I think it would be pretty cool but NFL probably wants a playoff team from last year to square off in Foxboro. QBs sorta sell games, and Big Ben is a big time QB.

I do think the Jets might get thrown into the lion's den and play on the road in Indy Week 1 on the other hand. Colts have been on Sunday night NBC back to back years, I think they and the Packers get 1PM games without the hooplah.

I also think the Giants get a Week 1 home game, which they haven't gotten in like what? 3 or 4 years? Probably a 4PM affair with SF.

All speculation though.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Giants last opened at home in 2012 which ended a 4 year run of opening at home every year.

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Let's go fuck those pussies up and make a statement on national tv!

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

On second thought, bills pats would be a good game...

:D

13. nyjunc

I think it will be Jets-Pats but if not I expect to open w/ Buffalo maybe on Monday Night.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It's almost always easier to catch the Pats early in the season than later. They will be completely revamping the defense.

15. nyjunc

they always get better later in the year but they are usually great week 1. Last year was the first time since 2003 they had lost a season opener.

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I think this refers to the Thursday opener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

It will be either Jets or Steelers.

Jets because of big New York market. Steelers because of Steelers having a big national following. It will most likely be Steelers though due to marquee QB match up as well.

18. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind opening the season vs the pats as long as the balls are fully inflated.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

ours will be.

20. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Well since the Pats have been caught cheating early and late I think they excel at hiding their cheating in the middle parts of the season so it's probably best that we play them in week one when Revis can expose their methods quickly

TNJet likes this.