Give it up for... Big Mac!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Mar 10, 2015.

1. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I can't disagree overly, I just don't think you can annoint the GM with an A+ for overpaying them, which was the original discussion. I was happy with an A- and could have lived with an A, but it needs another really great move for me to say he's really knocked it out of the ball park. That may yet come though.

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

This is what I'm not understanding. Its not like there was a ton of talented 26 year old free agents out there. There is no 26 year old franchise QB either. Should we just be sitting on our hands accepting that we're going to be losing for the next couple years until we get a franchise QB.

You go for the franchise QB when the opportunity presents itself. Doesn't mean you cant try to improve the team in the meantime.

3. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Fair enough. But I don't think it's realistic to offer him less than Patrick Peterson. How could we argue that? From a negotiation standpoint, we have no leverage under 14. He deserves top money. And as a GM Mac paid accordingly.

And what I really love is that it's front loaded. That makes Revis happy and is fiscally sound bc we pay him the most in his prime. In year 3 we're on the hook for 6M at worst. That's excellent.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh. I have been wondering how you feel about the new FO's emphasis on cornerback. But as Nagle said every team has holes, and he's right.

Qb still needs some attention at the very least as even Smith Fans need to acknowledge. And while OL is aging, there didn't seem any great opportunities in FA to take action on. They may draft someone there. Safety they may stand pat on having upgraded CB.

The one hole they may still have after all is done this off season is pass rushing LB. OH well...

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The holes the Jets have at this point on defense include NT, OLB and FS. That's 3 fairly big holes pending the outcome with Snacks and to a lesser extent Ellis.

6. Br4d

Signing a 30 year old player to a big contract at ANY position that is not QB is a long-term losing move in the NFL if you don't have a QB. Without the QB you're not going to win and giving a lot of money to Revis Christ himself won't change that.

7. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Snacks is our NT..

As for OLB, I think that will be addressed in the draft (maybe Gregory or Fowler at #6), even FS might be as well.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Maccagnan, I see you...

9. Br4d

We have no idea if somebody is going to give up a 2nd round pick for Snacks. The Patriots could wait until a week before the draft and sign him, giving us the 64 pick in return and a huge hole at NT.

10. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I remember when Idzik came on people be like "the circus is leaving town", "Idzik gettin it done"... So it goes with Jets nation, excited over nothing, then the lowest of lows.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Again I can see the Jets standing pat at safety having greatly improved at Cb. They offered a contract to Jarrett, right?

NT they offered a contract to Snacks, so that will hopefully go right.

OLB is a problem, but hopefully Coples shows more improvement. Sure he's not played up to his draft status, but he's not a bust. and as others have pointed out better Cb play makes OLB less critical in the pass rush.

Don't worry, I am not overnight an FO Homer. But I like the trends here given the available options.

12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Comparing the respective splashes of our last two GMs ....

Idzik

[​IMG]

Mac

[​IMG]

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I thank the Good Lord every day we no longer have Idzik. It feels so good to have some running the organization that has a clue

NJBeliever and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

As long as Mac doesn't give Mark Sanchez a huge extension because his feelings were hurt or blow a majority of 12 draft picks, he might turn out to be not so bad ;)

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Testify.

I can't believe how great it feels to have a real football man at the helm.

_

NJBeliever likes this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I didn't think we would fill this many holes before the draft.

NJBeliever likes this.
  17. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Our dire QB situation is a concern...I have to think we have a plan beyond Fitz whos a backup and Geno who's a bum...maybe we're gonna trade back with St Louis and land Foles?

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

In 2016 there will be more free agents, we have all of our draft picks, and we could even make a trade.

If we play our cards right this year we could go into next year with two first rounders.

Also, Fitz might be better than we think.

There is no reason to panic or reach for a QB now.

19. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure. On paper, I think the Jets today are better than the 2010 Jets, Qb aside.

I think Mark Sanchez was a well-below average Qb. I think Fitzpatrick with Gailey at the helm may be slightly better than Sanchez was.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we could have a pretty good season or two even without another Qb. The question then becomes, can we sustain that success as our older (expensive) players age; can we replace them with cheap drafted talent? And can we win in the playoffs all the while?

At the very least, the Jets became relevant again over the past 48 hours. That's exactly what Woody wants.

NJBeliever likes this.
  20. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Same here. Remember when Idzik thought April 1st was a good time to get a CB named Dimitri patterson?

Murrell2878 and NJBeliever like this.