The Eagles want the Jets' pick if Mariota falls to No. 6

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJJ_Jersey_Jets, Mar 4, 2015.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The bears don't need to get rid of Cutler if they draft Mariotta. Drafting Mariotta doesn't mean starting Mariotta right away. Cutler will not cause them not to draft Mariotta. In fact it could be why they do.

2. JetBlue

The eagles resigned Sanchez and picked up Bradford who nobody is going to take off their hands. That doesn't signal a team going QB in the first round.

Bradford is a very good choice in Kelly's system.

3. JetBlue

Nice work.

Murrell2878 likes this.
  4. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Foles was tempting...if we do that trade with the Eagles for Bradford I will vomit

NCJetsfan and 74 like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What? If Mariota is there and the Jets trade him to get Bradford or Foles, Mac deserves to be fired on the spot.

6. JetBlue

I wouldn't prefer we trade Mariotta for Bradford, but I could certainly understand if we did so while swapping the 6th and 10th pick, and getting the Eagles second this year and another first next year.

7. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Im so confused. Do the eagles have the 10th pick now or still 20th??

8. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Chip and Brad seems weird

I feel like be is still positioning for something bigger....

9. NCJetsfan

I thought it was clarified that the Rams and Eagles didn't swap their 1st round picks. If that's true, then the Eagles are still picking at #20, not #10 and have little or no ammo with which to trade up.

10. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman New Member

If Mariota makes it to six, the Jets MUST draft him. 100%. No other option.

4jetfans and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. JetBlue

oh, then fuck that for certain.

12. NCJetsfan

From KFFL's Hot Off the Wire I found a link to the following article: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Say-it-aint-so-Chip.html

13. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

You're throwing out some of the same nonsense that Stokes was with that 50-70% being shovel or screen pass BS. Ironic thing is that Oregon's offense makes much more use of the bubble screen than what you are claiming WVU's offense did.

Watch for yourself.

WVU vs. Texas

WVU vs. Baylor

WVU vs. Clemson

BTW, you are conflating several things. The primary knock against ALL spread offense QBs is that they will have to learn how to play QB in a pro system. That's universal. Next you have to look at the specific offenses that they ran to see other things that they will have to work on. Some spread systems have the QB taking snaps from under center and making 3, 5 and 7 step drops. That's something they won't have to learn. Other spread QBs might not have taken many snaps from under center, so they will have to learn how to take the snap and execute the 3, 5 and 7 step drops. They will have to practice it so that it becomes second nature to them.

Of course, each QB has to be looked at individually to see what kind of work ethic they have. Or what kind of leadership abilities they possess. Or how high their football IQ is. Or how they handle themselves under pressure or when things aren't going right.

My comments comparing Geno to Mariota were in response to claims about on the field production. You can look at game film and at the stats and see that Geno DID produce on the field in Holgorsen's system. That his level of production was indeed similar to Mariota's. That doesn't speak to directly to character, or work ethic, or leadership abilities, yada, yada, yada. It simply means that Geno was able to execute the offense that he was in very well.

14. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

15. NCJetsfan

I saw them both play a LOT, and there is NO comparison between the two. NONE. You lose credibility in trying to make the comparison.

16. JetBlue

that's what I was thinking, it sure seems obvious that the trade was aimed at Bradford being the Eagles QB, and he is a good fit for that system. but it is certainly a head scratcher how much he gave up for him.

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Decker would play the slot in that scenario.

18. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

With all that just happened in day one of FA if Mariota falls to 6 100% we take him now

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I pretty much agree as well, but there are dangers and pitfalls with Mariotta. Basically, he'd be expected to step in day 1 and contribute. If I were the CS, I'd try to avoid the mistakes of their predecessors and be patient with Mariotta. If it meant starting the season with Geno so be it. Don't play Mariotta until it is completely and plainly clear that he's ready for the responsibility.

This is all assuming he's even available at six of course. The Jets can't afford to sit on their hands at QB.

20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I actually think the Rams will be the one trading up for Mariota. Now they can offer their #10 this year, the 2 picks from the Eagles (4th this year, 2nd next year) and maybe their 2nd this year. Jets fall back to #10 and get Beasley or Parker.