Colin Kaepernick on the Trading Block (Speculation)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm all for a trade involving Kaepernick as he instantly becomes the best quarterback available but he doesn't exactly help locker rooms in distress. He's constantly fighting with fans and self promoting himself on social media. It's not the worst thing in the world but it becomes a bigger concern in this market.

You take the baggage of social media douche with the good of getting a franchise quarterback for a day 2 pick and a friendly contract though for sure.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If Kaepernick were available, which I doubt he is, take him in a heartbeat. You can win with him, and having him doesn't preclude the team from drafting a QB if they wanted to.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Fair enough - i didn't realize the social media stuff. man social media is so lame.

His struggles last year on the field are overstated though to me. He's not an RGIII who doesn't work hard enough. Kaepernick wants it, works hard enough at his craft. He also is more rounded than people give him credit for. I don't think he's a flash in the pan at all but I do think the 49ers messed up in replacing Harbaugh- it was critical that they hired a coach to maximize Kaepernick and I don't think they did

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I agree to an extent. Even if Kaep ends up in a situation where you say "he is what he is" that's a pretty good player. He moves the chains he keeps drives alive and he can throw the ball down field. There are better players out there but there are a lot that are much worse.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

On top of more than $2 mil per year in bonuses his salary starts at $10 mil this year and goes up to $19 mil.

Thanks but no thanks.

Jonathan_Vilma and Jay Bizniss like this.
  6. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

It won't happen (San Fran already squashed the rumor) but it would be decent to see if Kaepernick cut down on the running BS and was throwing to 2 guys like Marshall and Decker.

He's got an amazing arm but you can't win big with a running QB.

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

SF has vehemently denied plus the accelerated cap hit would be huge. Makes no sense.

_

8. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

Rex Grossman took the Bears to the SB...

9. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

They are lying.
    No way they would come out and say "Yes our QB is on the market"
    He's available

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

we might see Kaepernick as a cut casualty in a few seasons if he doesn't improve his ability to perform in the pocket. has awful touch too - it's always a speeding bullet.

11. JStokes

And the cap hit?

_

12. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

I dont think they care, Patrick Willis and Justin Smith hust retired, Gore is gone, Crabtree isnt coming back, Culliver might be here. Anyone good on that team left along with the Coach. I think they sacrifice that cap hit this season knowing they are going for a rebuild

13. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

Yes, every once in a while you can get lucky.

14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

That's my biggest knock on him -- whether he's throwing it from the outfield or it's from second to first, the ball come out at about 120mph. Strength is a great thing, but control is just as important, and he's yet to consistently display that.

15. JStokes

It's just a ton of money to absorb but I also heard a shocking report is going to be coming out of SF today so who knows.

_

16. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

The shocking report is Patrick Willis expected to retire

17. JStokes

Ok thanks. I didn't hear that.

_

18. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah. Anybody would be an improvement over Smith. But Kaep seems to have problems like that that don't get better. When he first was starting, Harbaugh totally had his back and he was surrounded by great players. He was also fast. But then it seemed like he really did not improve, and opponents seemed better prepared for him. At this point he looks overpaid to me, too.

As for whether he's really on the market, that cuts both ways. If he's not, why talk about it? But if he is, tells you something about how the FO looks at him. Similar to Cutler's situation in Chicago, is that because his contract is an embarassment tied to the previous regime? Or is it because the new people are not as fond of him as the prior management?

I just have the feeling he's not going to have any real improvement going forward, and may no longer be the starter in a couple of years.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree, I haven't seen much improvement since the season they went to the SB until last year. So many fast linebackers in the NFL nowadays - they know once the first read isn't open, Kaep is going to run. His scrambling ability is no longer a surprise to teams. I think he's got 1 more shot left next season. If he doesn't produce he will be either cut or traded. Kaep was pure garbage this year. That's the issue, I have w/ these Spread QBs - none of them seem to want to improve in the pocket.

I would really like to give Cutler a try and see if he has any motivation left to prove the doubters wrong. Not under that price-tag, but I'm curious. The new regime seems to want to give Cutler another chance and contractually - there's too much cash tied to him to let him go right this moment.