Jets One of Two at Forefront to Sign Brian Hoyer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 8, 2015.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's true. That's also very true about all the other available FA QBs right now and most of the mediocre/below average QBs in this league

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are very few QB's available who could potentially take a team deep into the playoffs if the team was ready to go before they got there. Sanchez is one of them.

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Again lets be fair to Hoyer here, he was working behind an RB trio of T. West, I. Crowell and B. Tate, none of whom(For various reasons) ever stepped up to the late....and a WR/TE core that saw Josh Gordon flounder around due to suspension, Miles Austin get hurt(What's new) and Jordan Cameron's season taken away due to concussions.

Not many QBs make that work. Its the same reason people need to take it easy on Manziel, yes he was really bad but the cast around him was AWFUL. I'd heard the Browns OLine even underachieved, in particularly on the right side.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

I think it's a stretch to say that.. But he is better than this current crop of FAs

5. BrowningNagle

But if you are very inaccurate like he is, then it really doesn't matter who is around you. He is a very shaky passer.

The only thing he does good is get the ball out quickly. That's fine for a backup QB. But he isn't starter material

6. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Not one qb in free agency is starter material

Neither is Geno

7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

You are sometimes inaccurate as a QB because you are trying to force up throws since targets cannot get themselves open, we've seen this the past 3-4 seasons first hand.

Would I give the guy a lot of money to signal he's the no.1 QB? No way but to bring him in for competition is fine by me. A 2 year commitment isn't so bad.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Who's a better option in this pool of free agents? If Fitzpatrick gets cut, maybe him, but that's it.

The guy was playing decently before his midseason slew of bad performances and the talent around him was among the worst in the league. This wouldn't be a signing for a long-term starter at QB, it's for depth and competition. Hoyer is young and still, in theory, could develop and grow especially with a coordinator known for having players do so under him. He's known for being a hard-worker and having a very professional approach to the game... Sounds like a good backup or competition to me.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

And also, Hoyer still wants a chance to compete for a starting job. He won't get that in San Fran and probably not in Washington either, though it's more likely than the former. His best chance to start is on the Jets. I predict he'll sign here. Hope they don't overpay him though

10. BE_A_JET

BE_A_JET New Member

Worst thing about this is Hoyer will end up being our starting QB either winning the job outright or by replacing Geno when he implodes.

11. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Fitzpatrick had 17 TDs 8 Int and a passer rating of 95.3 last year in 12 games.

IBLEEDGREEN17 likes this.
  12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

if you watch him play, and this is the reason he was benched for johnny douchenozzle, he misses wide open receivers ALL the time. Im telling you, drive-killing, abominable passes. He absolutely sucks. He is far worse than Geno Smith

IBLEEDGREEN17 likes this.
  13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

That 17 was drastically inflated by the 6td performance last November

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

He won't be a starter here, Geno is much better.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

My thoughts right now are, i hope we can somehow get middle of tbe road qb play this season and maybe compete for a playoff spot.
    If we sign hoyer i would hope we can somehow get middle of the road qb play and maybe compete for a playoff spot

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Would be nice to get Hoyer and turn around and sign and rework bradfords contract or get Glennon. All in all I'd be very content with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

I like it! By just showing up he's better than Geno.

18. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

Could we trade Geno to Jacksonville for their 1st? Now Geno's value is a 7th in 2023, however with Idzik there maybe he can influence his way into another bad decision for a different franchise this time!

19. bandwagon

bandwagon Active Member

I'm a fan of Hoyer. Got a raw deal in Cleveland. We could do, and have been doing, a lot worse.