Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am real. If you don't understand what the hell this is all about, maybe you should educate yourself first before shooting off dumb bullshit.

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The investigation could have been over in 72 hours if the league wanted it - I made a post about 100 pages back explaining exactly why. The important point is, the purpose of the investigation is to take a long time ... specifically, long enough time to outlast the attention span of the general public and sports media. Then, once nobody cares anymore, the league can announce a slap on the wrist and be done with it. This is what happens when the person running a sports organization is a lapdog (and owes his job to) the man whose team cannot stop cheating.

alleycat9 likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The other possibility is that early investigation turned up additional stuff and the NFL is now taking its time with the investigation to make it clear they didn't rush to judgement. They have lots of film in the can. Lots.

4. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Agreed, particularly if this investigation turned up any systematic cheating by the Patriots (not just this game but others in the past, maybe for years.)

Far more likely, however, is that this investigation will end when the NFL decides it is best to end for PR purposes. We'll see, though.

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You can throw all the numbers and formulas you want out there. Based on your behavior on this site I doubt you can do basic multiplication. I'll go with Bill Nye the Science Guy who says all this is is a lot of crap.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think they are finding that nobody has been taking these football "rules" seriously, from the refs to the guy who was caught stealing balls for profit.

They are also probably trying to figure out how they can assign blame when there is nothing in the procedure to keep any type of track of PSI's either before, during, or after games.

The league dug itself a deep hole and it will be very interesting to see how they try to bale themselves out of it.

7. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Says the guy who doesn't get the concept of teams being allowed a range of preferred PSI

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What Bill Nye said is, [Belichick's explanation makes no sense.] He didn't shoot down the explanation [that I gave] nor did he attempt to. You can watch his clip to your heart's content - but when you do, pay close attention to what he says.

Or are you incapable of comprehending what is going on with the argument?

P.S. By the way, Belichick's explanation was indeed a load of bullshit. That was an easy call for anybody.

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If you're a scientist like you claim and give us a two page post of gibberish that nobody but you can understand then why are on a stupid Jets message board and trying to "educate" morons like me. Get a life!

10. Burning Elvii

Burning Elvii Well-Known Member

This is what I've been saying. Not rushing because they looked under the tip of the iceberg. And went ugh oh

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look I took a beating for that and I dropped it. But all I was saying was that there are no clear cut procedures that we know about game ball prep. You're making legit assumptions trying to put 2 and 2 together and maybe you're right. But you should know better than to expect logic to prevail.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I am not trying to educate you. That's your job and not mine.

2. I don't spew out bullshit like you do. I was just providing my basis for the judgment I made. Regardless of where I express my opinion, I need to provide valid grounds. Nothing more, and nothing less.

3. If you cannot comprehend any of that - tough luck. How would you feel, if I told you I had to strip things down so any high school student with regent chemistry background could understand that? [Yes. That's about the level of sophistication involved in that post. FUCKING HIGH SCHOOL CHEMISTRY CLASS LEVEL for crying out loud.]

4. Still doesn't change the fact that, nobody has conclusively shot down that part of explanation yet. Bill Nye certainly didn't do it. I have yet to find anyone that would be bold enough to say [You cannot do that here.]

13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about and either do you. It's totally ludicrous to post two pages of formulas on a unimportant topic like Deflategate.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You should have stopped here.

Demosthenes9 and EmbraceTheHate like this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'd like to know if you've ever paid a bill for heating a home? Certainly if you had, you would understand that a 75 degree temperature is not realistic for a private home, much less a huge stadium. Field conditions, including NFL game time temperature, are a matter of record so there is no need for you to make assumptions of such. On the other hand, if one was trying to contrive a situation to skew the numbers, maximizing the difference between those two datum would be beneficial - not accurate, but beneficial. Calculations similar to yours have been published by a Maine TV station, which may be expected to favor the Patriots. Using actual field temperature and a generous stadium temperature of 68 degrees, they have determined that at most a difference of 0.7 psi would naturally occur and to get the balls down to 10.5 psi they would have had to be inflated at 90 degrees.

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/weather/2015/01/20/inflate-gate-weather-roll/22065861/

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What's your point? 75 degree F is too high? Or too low? It doesn't matter which - what's crystal clear is that, unless the temperature inside the facility happened to be around 50 degrees, the pressure inside the ball would have dropped even without any human intervention. That's what I wanted to say. [That article there went on to use pascals for pressure, but that's not necessary. You may not use psi reading for ideal gas law, but it's perfectly fine in combined gas law situation.]

TL: DR

1. The pressure inside the ball will drop, if it was inflated in warm indoor environment then was used in cold outdoor game.
    2. Unless we get a pressure reading from Colts ball, there is no way to determine if there was a human intervention. [This part is where the article in your link fails - they don't even consider to check this.]

17. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

One thing I'm curious about is what teams do with the balls on the sideline. Are they left in the cold? Are they kept warm in any way? after all that prep I've always wondered if they ever get a chance to get cold other than while in use, and even then the amount of handling and friction may make it tough if the bladder is insulation enough

18. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

You should

19. 3rdandlong

3rdandlong Member

On my way to indy now. I'll ask em
    yeah hell i start asking questions when the thermostat is above 66 during cold months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.