Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You are the man. I will keep the appointment and deal with that 10% chance if it happens.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

People that say bring it on should try working in this shit all day long outside during the storms like I do.

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Agreed..and while I am one of the enthusiasts Hemi....I totally get it. Have been on both sides of it. For me..there is nothing better then a bomb of a storm that just shuts everyone down...but thats not really the case...there are some people that have important positions that no matter what..they gotta go and go hard. I do forget that sometimes and sorry if it comes across not thinking of those that battle it. Like I said..have been on both sides and done it...so no disrespect to you bud.

4. jaywayne12

Marsh....just checked Boston on the models and it looks like the potential for just several inches with the Thursday/Friday event....still must keep an eye on Monday...but you can check my site out...I wrote about the chance of it staying south of you. The models are not stating that right now...but the dynamics are..so will watch.

5. jaywayne12

Brook...keep an eye out...as I stated a few minutes ago, latest trend is to have this storm organize a little earlier which would mean more snow....again...this is NOT a big storm bud...but 2 to 4 or 5" cant be ruled out. Check in tomorrow in the morning.

6. jaywayne12

FM...checked this out too...right now if you go by precip chances from the NWS this far out (60% which is the highest range they will put out more then 4 days away from an event) and timing of the worst part of the storm...whether its a big storm a small storm, the time you have down would be towards the end of the storm. The problem with that is they are dismissing the stall portion as of now..and going with an earlier start. If the storm gets backed up just 6 hours, their mention of 60% chance this far out is as if they are saying lock it in. SO....keep an eye out for this change. ALSO...even if your flight is at the tail end of the storm, all the backups before you would have to set you back. Point is this..if the storm happens..or happens earlier..you have a big problem boss.

From the NWS for your area:
    • Sunday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 32. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
    • Sunday Night Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 22. Blustery. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
    • Monday A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 31. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
    • Monday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Jay, always love the information and appreciate the time you put in to keep us informed. I actually don't listen to any other weather reports than yours.. That's how reliable I think you are.

So this Thursday/Friday storm.. What should I be expecting for Bergen county / Hudson county? Snow Thursday afternoonish, Thursday night or early Friday ? Can't be sending my drivers out to make deliveries if it's real bad.

8. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Its not you jay its just those that think that a big storm means a day off there are no days off for me just different meanings of difficulty within the day.....
    Meaning a battle

Brook! and FJF like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I hear ya hemi. Logistical problems with kids, clearing cars to get to work, treacherous roads its tough. In a perfect world we get a good storm that puts a 10" on the ground and it sticks around for the winter and thats it

Brook! likes this.
  10. jaywayne12

I can only imagine bud..and thanks..but it is me too. I dont think of the guys that have it tough. I do on the website but thats just because I know there are people coming there for info with their business etc...so I downplay it and thats as honest as I can be.

Sometimes..when Im low on something and a store I know is always open..I like to challenge the storm like many of us..and go out..and see guys out there for whatever the reason may be working it. I have had several positions over the years when the storm meant I was about to be shit on. One position years ago was a supervisor position and for 3 different locations...totowa...paterson..and JERSEY CITY. Now...24/7 no matter what...we had to go. Seeing people stockpiling their refrigerators would get on my nerves...knowing they were going home to enjoy the storm with all of their cookies and shit...man..did that piss me off.

I get it bud..totally.

Brook! likes this.
  11. jaywayne12

Thanks DW..I remember getting you information in the past bud..anytime. Actually everything for Thursday/Friday has been moved up..and there is a very good chance that by noon Thursday the latest..everything will have been cleared out...I know I have given others info for those 2 days so let me just check the evening models and will post a quick review. Thanks for the nice words..anytime at all sir.

dawinner127 likes this.
  12. jaywayne12

I have never been so confused in my life and usually I can look at 3 maps..digest it...follow my little chart with model biases..an get an idea...an idea..and that takes me about 10 minutes. I just tried to do that and got to Wednesday...then just continued to do it through NEXT weekend and all I can say is there is so much that COULD happen and while there are few major ones there...there also alot of..well...lets just start with Wednesday,Thursday and Friday.

Warm front comes through on Wednesday as temps rise to the lower 40's along with winds gusting to over 25 mph..with a warm front? Yes. Arctic front comes through late Wednesday and temps drop big time and the cold font works like a summer cold front that brings showers...and it might even start as rain and turn quickly to snow Thursday morning. A few inches of snow might be falling during the commute Thursday morning...and that will end by around noon Thursday..and thats it. Temps become the story and they dive down to ZERO Thursday night with some reading well north and west below zero. Wind chills of 10 t0 20 below is shown on the GFS and the EURO is not far behind with wind chills of 5 to 15 below..so this seems accurate.

Now with all of the above just check in at least one more time tomorrow afternoon because between the warm front and Arctic front...they are really close to phasing which would bring around 2 to 4 with a partial and 4 to 6 with substantial phasing and this is not far fetched but not going with it right now.

NOW FOR A OUR BOSTON FRIENDS WHO are getting clobbered...this change that will happen for us will affect them even more with a potential 4 to 6 inches in the Boston area on Thursday and Thursday night. Feel really bad giving that information because these people..they really have no places to put the snow anymore and because of the ridiculous temps...they are getting zero help with melting.

MARSHALL AND COMPANY...sorry guys. Will update you tomorrow after 9am.

Brook! likes this.
  13. jaywayne12

just updated site...general 1 to 4 inch event more north and east of us. Updated for the storm too...some models want this storm to last 4 days...but not with heavy snow the whole time..just a moderate snow but still big numbers. Will be back in an hour.

14. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

When you say East, do you mean me?
    Still worried about the flight on Monday evening out of JFK, should I be?

15. jaywayne12

First off FM...the 1 to 4 is for Thursday/ Friday..and yeah bud..I would be worried about that flight on Monday night..even if the storm does end earlier and does not do what some models are calling for....stall for a 24 hour period and end Tuesday evening, the back up from bad weather on Monday will give you problems FM...I feel pretty sure about that.

Oh...and that east should be clarified. I should really say north and east. Towards CT and Mass.

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Miller B ? 3 day event ? "Routine 9" I will believe it when I see it !

17. jaywayne12

lol...I hear you CBG..loud and clear. Its like whos on first. Miller Bs...NWS is buying into a long drawn out affair....here is their forecast for the time period. Ignore their lower chances because this far out 50 % is like 80% if it were tomorrow. They never ever go above 60% more then 4 days away.

For our New England friends..I will post theirs right below this

FROM THE NWS for NYC Metro:
    • Saturday Night A chance of snow after 8pm. Cloudy, with a low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
    • Sunday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
    • Sunday Night Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 20. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
    • Monday A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
    • Monday Night A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
    • Tuesday A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Chance of precipitation is 30%
    FOR BOSTON METRO:

• Saturday Night A chance of snow before 11pm, then a chance of snow after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
    • Sunday A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 23. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
    • Sunday Night A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 16. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
    • Monday A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 25. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
    • Monday Night A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
    • Tuesday A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

18. Drew

Drew Active Member

What would you guesstimate for NYC in terms of inches?

19. jaywayne12

checking night models now drew..one second.

20. jaywayne12

Drew...and everyone on the board..this is a nutty setup...check out the website for the reason these numbers are so crazy because I cant explain that again..but bottom line is everyone on the board is 12 to 18 over a 3 to 4 day period..and there are many parts of that...well...lets put it this way...I disagree right now how the models say we will get there but right now...12 to 18