"The Slant" - Worst NFL play call of all time?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Poeman, Feb 1, 2015.

?

Is "The Slant" the worst NFL play call of all time?

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    88.7%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

Tim Beck would have made that kind of call. Bevell is the NFL's version of Tim Beck.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I liked it so much I showed it to people I don't even like.

Poeman likes this.
  3. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

Bevell definitely made the worst play call in NFL history, maybe sports history. And then he has the temerity to try and blame the receiver, Lockette.

"Darrell Bevell says Lockette could have been stronger to the ball."

— Bob Condotta (@bcondotta) February 2, 2015

Bevell's not technically incorrect; but Lockette is a mediocre WR (really just there as a special teams guy), and Bevell decides to go with a pass play where Lockette is the first look rather than running the ball from the 1 with Marshawn Lynch.

He should be fired, both for making the worst play call in NFL history, and for trying to scapegoat Lockette rather than owning up to his mistake.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Gotta love it. Bevell is light years better than any OC the Jets have had in the past 10 years, and some here think he should be fired. Seattle's record over the last 3 years is 36 - 12 and their offense has ranked 10th, 9th and 8th in the NFL in scoring over that time period.

5. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

There technically probably has been, but this is the worst one on the biggest stage I've seen in any sport. It was mind boggling. It was academic here. You engage Beast Mode until they stop you. There's nothing to think about here folks. There are no arguments. There are no rationalizations. You let the beast loose and let the chips fall where they may. If NE stuffs you all three or four times then all the credit in the world to them. But damn, Seattle blew it like the Jets might have. I had no stake in this game at all and did not have a rooting interest at all. But as a sports fan, my goodness you have got to be kidding me.

6. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

That has more to do with Carroll plus the defense, and Russel Wilson with the offense. Put Bevell on the Jets all those years, and he's a nobody.

Bevell's offense ranked 28th the year before they drafted Wilson. And with the Vikings, he was bad until they got Brett Favre.

7. Demosthenes9

In 07 the Vikings ranked 15th in scoring and that's with Tavaris Jackson at QB. In 08 they ranked 12th with Gus Frerotte. Sure, they jumped to 2nd in 09 with Favre, but 15th and 12th in scoring offense isn't exactly piss poor, especially given the QBs he was dealt. I'm not saying that they guy is Bill Walsh or Paul Brown, but again, he's a hell of a lot better than any OC the Jets have had in a decade or more.

8. bmfc1

bmfc1 Well-Known Member

The genius coach said that they wanted to "waste a down" because he didn't like what he saw on the field from NE for a run. If so, then you don't "waste" a down by throwing an inside slant where the receiver could easily be tackled before the goal line and the clock would continue to run. If you insist on throwing, then throw a corner fade which is low risk for a INT.

9. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

I am going to hell for laughing at this.

Poeman likes this.
  10. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

What was up with this commercial? My damn that was highly out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

Agreed. After it finished I was like, "well that's a bummer."

12. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Aside from the handoff from Joe Pisarchik -- The Fumble -- this was the worst call. However, considering that game only meant 1 more Giant win that year (7-9 I think, instead of 6-10), yeah, this call was The Worst.

I remember a few years ago Mark Sanchez throwing a slant on a key play down at the goal line and hated that call even then. Slants are VERY TOUGH to execute even if you have a great QB and a top WR.

13. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Gary Myers confirmed what one of the guys I watched the game with -- played college ball and was drafted by the NFL but never played -- said right after the play: Carroll called a pass play BEFORE the Patriots had set their defense. They then reacted afterwards.

IOTW, the excuse that Seattle had to avoid a run because the matchup wasn't right is a lie. The Seahawks were throwing it from the start.

Someone is lying.

14. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I saw Carroll say in post-game they didn't want to run against NE's goalline because it has been a strong unit and the Seahawks have struggled this year on short runs against GL. However, he didn't get the Patriots GL, by bringing in the WR he got a sub package. Of course in postgame Butler said they had studied that bunch formation, and so they were pretty sure his guy was running a slant hoping to get a pick from the other WR, so Butler shaded inside and stepped off the line, while Browner jammed the guy trying to set the pick. They were badly outcoached, not only did they go to a throw there, they did it against a defense set up to prevent the very play they called.

15. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

I think we just saw our team's next OC yesterday

16. Demosthenes9

A "sub package" consisting of 4 DL, 4 LBs and 3 CBs ? Kind of thought that was a goal line package ?

17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Poe 2 QB sneaks would have won the game too

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

It was Schottenheimeresque.

I wonder if the hawks needlessly pissing away two of their timeouts on that drive contributed to the play call? Just a piss-poor coaching performance all around.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  19. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Yes, it was the worst playcall of all time. If Lynch runs it in for a TD, Seattle is on a quest to become the first team to ever three peat in the SB Era... still stunned by the outcome...

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

They still had a guy I like to call Adrian Peterson.