"The Slant" - Worst NFL play call of all time?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Poeman, Feb 1, 2015.

?

Is "The Slant" the worst NFL play call of all time?

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    88.7%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

One thing not enough people are talking about....
    What a terrible decision to throw that by Wilson. I mean, the CB is right there in zone, he started jumping that route the minute the ball is snapped. There are 2 other WR running routes, and Wilson is a mobile QB. He has to recognize that coverage and either throw it to someone else, throw it away, or take off for the edge.

2. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

It's not really a decision, it's a quick-hitter, you snap and throw... Lockette probably looked open when he eyed him. The Pats DB timed it perfectly. This wasn't a case of Wilson sitting in pocket, scanning the field, then throwing into coverage. It's a bang-bang play, in my opinion

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

The only sports this really applies to are football and baseball. Basketball the only thing you could really screw up to that degree is letting Mario Chalmers take the last shot instead of LeBron, and even that works out sometimes like Jordan dishing off to Steve Kerr. Hockey there's almost no single decision you could make as a coach during a game that's contreversial.

Honestly like I posted in the other thread the only thing I can think of that even APPROACHES this level of idiocy was Grady Little with Pedro in 2003 and even that wasn't as stupid as tonight.

4. Cellar-door

I'm thinking more the pre-snap read. The guy was sitting in short zone, if he's there, that's a really tough play to make. If you see him there, you have to check him before you let the ball go to make sure he isn't breaking. I mean it's a great play to get the pick, but with that coverage it was going to be a longshot that you complete that. Steve Young mentioned something similar post-game, basically that is a doomed play if the CB moves on the snap and the QB needs to look for it with that coverage.

5. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

That's why you just don't call that play there though, it is the riskiest pass play you can try down there, there's almost no way to eliminate the risk of a throw into traffic from the 1. You don't really have to worry about pre-snap read or anything like that for a fade pattern to the corner or a for a bootleg run/pass option to the TE. Or just give the ball to Lynch, which 99% of OCs probably would have done. Wilson shouldered some blame, but he played a great game overall. His coaches put him in a bad spot with how that turned out

6. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

a lot of things are exaggerated in sports....but not this...this was without a doubt the single worse playcall id ever seen....I'm still in disbelieve...

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Yep. Didn't work for us at Pittsburgh in 2010 either.

8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

What, that 3rd and 17 call? Oh never mind I remember now.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

What? I'm referring to the play at Pitt where Wayne Hunter tipped off Woodley and he broke up the slant.

10. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Who's the stooge that voted no?

11. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

bad line change, when to pull the goalie

12. Cellar-door

Only basketball thing I can think of is Chris Webber calling timeout when his team didn't have one.

Poeman likes this.
  13. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Thing is though, it wasn't a throw into traffic. Butler or whatever his name was just jumped the route and beat the receiver to the spot.

[​IMG]

14. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

Never has anyone ever out-thought themselves as much as Bevell did on that play. If they run: 20% chance Marshawn walks in, 75% he gets hit and goes in anyway, 5% he gets stopped (and likely gets in on the next play). The game was over and Bevell threw it away. No other play has single-handedly lost a championship in that dramatic of a fashion. Calling it the worst NFL play call of all-time is being too kind. It's the worst play call I can think of in sports history.

bmfc1 likes this.
  15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I just...I don't get it. None of it makes sense. With that many timeouts, you give it to your best weapon and see what happens. Maybe he gets in, maybe he doesn't. If he doesn't, you take a timeout and move on.

16. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

A bit of speculation is that this has to do with the MVP, and that they didn't want Lynch to get it (would have sealed it with that TD).

If true (which I hope not for Seattle's sake), that's complete sabotage. They deserve to lose if this was their plan.

17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Next we're going to find out that the fix was in from the league to make sure Lynch didn't get anywhere near MVP

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I don't know who the WR was I think it was Kearse but he was clearly being held by Browner on the play. My guess is they refs don't call it either but if he goes to Kearse they may have gotten the flag.

19. Demosthenes9

Heh, Kearse was doing much of the holding, and anyways, it's within 1 yard of the LoS, so I believe it's legal to engage.

20. Demosthenes9

Not sure where you came up with your percentages. Lynch had 5 attempts this year from the 1 yard line. He scored a TD on one, was held for no gain on 2 of the plays, and was dropped for a loss on the other 2 plays. That's a 20% success rate and an 80% failure rate.

IDFjet likes this.