The new regime is in place. What do you do with $50 million in cap space?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rockyusmc2003, Jan 18, 2015.

1. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

thats ridiculously under his value, he wouldn't and shouldn't take that.

2. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

The Jets real #1 concern should be on the offensive line. Mangold is still elite but beyond that every single spot is a question mark. Brick has regressed (personally I would move him to guard), Breno is average at best. We don't have a RG. Aboushi could get better but just from going off what I saw last year, he's a mediocre player at best right now. Regardless of whether our QB is named Geno, Winston, Mariotta, Bradford, Manning, Montana, or Rodgers, this O-Line can't pass block worth a shit. We gave up 3 sacks per game last year, and that doesn't include how many times Geno / Vick were running for their lives either.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mo is likeā€¦
    [​IMG]

TonyMaC likes this.
  4. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Yeah that would be a hometown discount if I ever saw one. PFF rated Mo as the 3rd best edge rusher in the NFL, only behind Sheldon and Watt. If we can get him to sign for 10 - 11 million we should be thrilled. The Jets have a history though under Woody of letting top level talent walk though, so who knows. Could be Jonathan Vilma 2.0.

101GangGreen101 and LAJet like this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Vilma was let go because he was not a fit in the 3-4.

6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

QB was my second need.

Corner is a huge problem with the type of aggressive D Bowles runs.. Look at what he had in Arizona.. It's obvious that's our biggest need on D.

7. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go too nuts with spending this offseason. I'm not saying sit on a big pile of money like Idzik but 2015 is also not an "all-in, win at all costs" season for this team in Year 1 of a new regime. Make smart signings, target younger players with upside. Realistically, we are probably going to have a young guy under center again (whether Geno or a rookie), so it may be another rebuilding season.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The only way I trade Wilk is if he wants a ridiculous amount of money or we can get a good enough draft pick to move up and get a QB(preferably Mariota), but there are so many intangibles to that.

Does one of the QB's slide to 6? Would anyone in the top 2 even trade with us? Do the Jets scouts like either of the QB's enough to do this?

I wouldn't be too upset if we traded Wilk, but I certainly don't want to just give him away. He is our best defensive player after all.

9. JACKSONVILLE JET

Mac needs to show his worth through the draft, get me 5 starters and 1 all-pro!

legler82 likes this.
  10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He should have said John Abraham 2.0.

11. James Hasty

Oops, meant $10 mil per year.

12. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

ok then, thats a lot better, probably exactly what he's worth, that 10-12 mill a year range.

13. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Macc in his interview alluded to the fact he ideally wants to build through the draft but will be active in free agency so that they can be more flexible in the draft.

If that's the case...I bet they go out and sign CB(s) so that the Jets don't feel compelled to take a CB early. After all...the CB class isn't great this year. My bet is that the Jets will want to take Amari Cooper at number 6 if he's still available then.

I hate to say it (because i want Percy to stay) but I'm not so sure he does. Macc cherishes the draft and might consider cutting Percy to reclaim the 4th rounder and instead forfeit a 6th rounder. Additionally, Percy's number is still rather high (10 million) which they might consider to be alot for a vet WR who has injury history and lockerroom issues.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if Harvin stays. He was a good citizen and stayed healthy last season for us, but he doesn't really have a position, has the huge cap hit, and would cost the Jets the 4th round pick to keep him rather than the 6th. That alone is enough to send him packing.

ajax and Jetsruby like this.
  15. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Exactly my point. When there's a new regime coming in and a bunch of turnover...typically things like this happen where they front office maximizes potentials like draft picks or cap space by getting rid of guys sought out in the previous regime.

Mike Maccagnan was not the one trading for Percy Harvin. I don't remember the Texans inquiring to spend a 4th on him. There might not be the same connect there and the front office might view Percy as a liability, huge cap number, and a guy eating a 4th rounder instead of 6th rounder.

Personally, I think Percy Harvin is worth any 4th rounder a team would draft at WR. They also have enough cap space to not worry about his cap number around 10 million. However, my gut feeling tells me he won't be staying. The WR Free Agent Market is loaded and i think Maccagnan will be looking to hire other wide receivers are lower prices.

16. James Hasty

Everyone seems to be on the cut his salary or get rid of him wagon as far as Percy Harvin is concerned.

Meanwhile most people want to pay Brick roughly the same amount of money rather than cut him loose.

While I do understand that the consequence of not having a good LT is getting or QB killed we are talking about Geno Smith so we do not have much to lose.

The cost of keeping Harvin is $10 mil per year and what basically amounts a swap of a high sixth round draft pick for a high fourth round.

There are four things to keep in mind before giving Harvin some tough love:

1. None of his salary is guaranteed, he can be cut by anyone at any time.
    2. He is better than anyone we can get in free agency (unless somehow Dez or DT is available)
    3. He is better than anyone we can get in round four of the draft
    4. Not only will drafting his replacement cost us more than a fourth rounder but WRs have a high bust rate and usually take time to develop.

The best way to convince Harvin to take a pay cut would be to give him an extension but I think it would be better to see what the new coaching staff can get out of him next year before we do anything with him or his contract.

If we do nothing and he does not learn better route running from our coaches or from Decker we can trade him or cut him loose midway through the season (especially if we are limited from playoff contention) and we will only be out $625,000 per game instead of the full ten million in salary.

In addition if things do not work out we can spend his salary in years 2016 onward on other players insted of blowing that money now.

If Bryant or Thomas become available in free agency all bets are off. Otherwise we can give Harvin a chance to be the #1 stud that we want until we give up on him. By then we may have drafted a suitable replacement without blowing the #6 overall pick on Amari Cooper or another rookie WR (fourth pick doesn't sound so bad then does it?).

What Brick lacks that Harvin has is upside. His level of play has deteriorated. Guys that he would have stopped in the past seem to speed by him on the outside now and then. If we want to save $10 mil per year I think this is where we address the elephant in the room.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

18. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

G Mike Iupati, WR Thomas, CB Revis and Cro (wishfull thinking), Free Safety, Wilkerson deal, trade Coples, draft WR and LB.

19. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Don't we also lose a 4th round pick if he is still on the team

Cut Brick for who? Can't just cut someone to save money if u have no1 to play the position

20. James Hasty

If you want to save $10 mil without losing Harvin that is a possible solution.

I am not sure we know the exact formula but most of us on the boards believe that keeping him costs us a fourth rounder but even if we cut him loose we still lose a sixth rounder.

If you look at what we drafted in round four last year Percy looks pretty good by comparison.