Tampering Charges vs. Woody Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 18, 2015.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I think it will be a small fine but Belichick's full of shit for letting the league office deal with it. He basically lied to reporters by saying he will let the league sort it out when it is the Patriots who are seeking this.

TNJet and rohirrim665 like this.
  2. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

The Desean Jackson situation was very different in that Woody expressed the idea that the Jets would be actively looking at signing Desean Jackson.
    His remark about Revis was clearly off the cuff and not an indication of active current consideration. The question may have been a set-up, as Br4dw4y suggested.
    Pats may be looking to bust balls, and put the new regime on the defensive.
    Some of us love to kill Woody. He's currently an easy target.
    All things being equal, this shoudn't be anything more than a fine.

3. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

I agree it was minor, however, it is still tampering by the word of the rule, and this is strike 2 in a 10 month window.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Knowing our luck we'd probably lose a draft pick.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Woody got tripped up by a reporter asking a question. He said something he shouldnt have said. I'm not gonna fault him for making a stupid mistake.

This should be a fine and nothing more.

6. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

He'll get fined. At the absolute, absolute worst...we'll have to swap low round picks or something. Couple of years ago, one of these teams had to swap picks with another, and their agents were directly in contact with the team

Guy isn't an idiot because of this, he just spoke too freely.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I hate on Woody as well, but I have to admit he did a good job this off-season outside of that comment.

8. strngplyr

If he's found guilty, league set precedent says you will lose a pick and swap one with us.

From my post on patsfans:

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Too bad that a passing comment by a naive owner is coming to this. It is pretty embarrassing that the world cheaters would pursue this...but that is classic Pats shit. We know Woody is not football polished nor political, but at least is not sucking Godell's dick at every turn like Kraft. My disdain for these two major bottom feeders in NE has reached a new hi. I hope at every turn they get fucked over, first in their own division, by Rex in Buffalo, us with the Jets, and then by every other team they play against.

May the playoffs end as early as humanly possible. May they never see another SB win under their leadership. I hope Seattle destroys them worse than they did Denver if the make it that far.

FlaJet likes this.
  10. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

i. fucking. hate. the. patriots.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

That's bullshit though. He answered a question so within that context how was he tampering? But then again Woody should've already known better. So it's two fold.

12. BakerMaker

I think that would be the extreme measurement. If Revis joins the Jets after said comments, I agree about that punishment but if not or if he resigns with NE, it really should just be a fine.

While not tampering, Mike Tomlin blatantly tried to trip(Which could be seen as injure) an opposing player on the sidelines from scoring to affect the outcome of a game and he got fined. That to me, is much worse than tampering.

Jerry Reese basically indicated they talked with Willis McGahee(While he was with DEN) and nothing happened.

13. BakerMaker

It is a double standard. The media and some people get mad at guys like Lynch for refusing to speak to reporters but when someone says something pretty innocent without much thought where they are just honestly answering a question, this happens.

You can't have it both ways.

14. BakerMaker

Also the pick difference is very big from NYJ to NE this year. The others were anywhere from 5 to 14 spots, you can't justify this suddenly being a big jump from picks. We are talking about possibly a 25+ jump which is from a high pick in the round to potentially the worst.

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Didn't Jerry Jones say he wanted Adrien Peterson? What happened with that? If this ends up as anything more than a fine, I'd be shocked. Revis is not a free agent. He signed a two year deal with the Pats.

16. BakerMaker

Nothing wrong with that, Eagles were seeking out for trades and spoke with the Jets on a said manner. Eagles were the ones engaging in trade talks with other teams. Woody just said that they were talking about acquiring Jackson.

17. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I really hope Vinatieri kicks the game-winning Fg tonight...

NY Jets68 likes this.
  18. strngplyr

It's been known that one of the NFL's biggest flaws is having 0 consistency for punishment.

All I'm saying is that there is a set precedent for this situation and what Woody said is about as harmless as what the Lions DC said in the story. In fact, I do believe that Cunningham even specifically said "if they're cut" or something very similar. Still got hit for it.

At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another slap on the wrist. But, harmless or not, I think the Jets get hit because its the 2nd offense in a very short period of time (both within the same league year).

19. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

How about we just get rid of these end of season press conferences?

What good comes from them? These owners dont tell us anything that we want to hear.

20. BakerMaker

I agree about a hefty fine though but a swap of picks would be ridiculous given the pick differential. Why would this all of a sudden warrant 25+ spot differential when the others didn't even measure half of that?

The Eagles could not file tampering charges on the Jets because they openly engaged the Jets in trade discussion. Woody just said the two teams were talking and the Jets had interest in the WR, that's it.

A fine hits Woody hard, losing draft picks hits the new regime. That's the way I see it.