Todd Bowles new Jets HC per Schefter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BigGreenUgly, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Bowles defense this year was 24th overall but 5th in scoring

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Ok. Rex had six years and no playoffs in 4 years. He had his chance. And 4 games under .500. His D was way overrated. And consistently gave up big plays. His team was trampled two times by the Bills last season and lost 5 out of 6 games against AFC East teams. All teams have some personnel weaknesses and most at Qb. He had a huge part in drafting with Tanny and Idzik. And most of the top picks were on defense. Being short one corner didn't kill his season. His players on D consistently blew assignments. As for Bowles. He hasn't had his chance yet. There is no way he gets 6 years to be mediocre.

#402 pclfan, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    PulseJet, NCJetsfan and Jets1035 like this.
  3. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

seems like his d gave up a few yards but stopped opposing offenses when it counted…24th in yds per game, but one of the lowest amount of points scored against the D...

4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Stop going by total yards lol, you sound dumb, as did Rex. Yards are such an overrated stat.

DVOA is widely regarded as the best metric and the Cardinals had the 7th best defense in the NFL this year, Jets 21st.

5. PJ4Ever

Like do you really think the Jets had the 6th best defense in the NFL and 14th best pass defense lol

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Pete Carroll is 63, dog. You worried about him too? Any other gay wizard nicknames you can drum up for him?

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Go kill yourself

RuJFan likes this.
  8. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I assume you're drinking pretty heavily right now, relax buddy, it's not me you're upset with, it's the decisions you made in life and you're terrible life that has you bummed.

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Not at all. You're just a trolling waste of idiocy and the board would be a better, more informative read if you just go kill yourself.

10. PJ4Ever

Dude you can't just come in here and make asinine comments like "No one heard of Bowles" and expect the real football fans here not to bash you. Bowles was the top head coaching candidate out there, along with Quinn. He interviewed with 4 teams. Casserley and Wolf are both highly respected football guys who every football fan has heard of prior to two weeks ago.

And everyone knows the yards stat is outdated and overused. Do you really think the Jets had a better defense than the Cardinals this year? Oh wait, you probably do. Another reason why you get bashed.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Do you even know anyone who's 63? How about 73?

12. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

i mean coughlin, bellicheck and carrol are all about as old if not older, and I'm sure dick lebeau isn't the only assistant coach thats past 60 either… it varies from dude to dude i bet, but being in your 60's isn't a deal breaker by itself.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm 59.. Figure it out..

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

When I come up with them, you'll be the first to know. Like I said, Gailey might well be up to the task. He might not. I bet he's asking himself if he REALLY WANTS TO. Especially if he's in a position where he doesn't have to work anymore. Who knows. Maybe his 2 year hiatus recharged his batteries.

#414 Cman68, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Gailey's age is a legitimate concern. Being a coordinator in the NFL is a grind.

I think it's easier on the mind and body to be a HC who is the CEO type, overseeing operations, than the coordinator who needs to work night and day to design the gameplan.

16. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

LOL at this Gailey argument. I'm sure Gailey himself is aware of the commitment it takes to coach an NFL season. Decades of experience to pull from. If he's agreed to come out of retirement then he's taken that into consideration. Furthermore I doubt Bowles just popped up on his doorstep like Ed McMahon and presented him a contract to sign. Gailey had to have been considering a comeback if his name is even in the conversation, which means he's had time to think about the commitment it takes. Let's not overanalyze the situation please.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

On this age thing, fwiw...

Pete Carroll seems like he has aged slower than some his age. I don't know if its diet or lifestyle or anything, but he seems to have a lot of energy and focus. Imo that does not so much make him some kind of special sort as on the "acts younger" part of the spectrum for his age.

It does seem like the optimal age range for coaches is in the late forties through fifties. You have the experience and knowledge, but still have vitality. At some point after that, for some, if not most, other things start taking away from that combination, whether its focusing on other things in life, less energy, whatever.

Tom Coughlin from all I know does put in all the hours and work, and he seems to be as focused as any other HC. But I sense with him his age presents a different sort of problem, that being that he's tied to a certain way of coaching the team that is not working as well the last couple of years as before. I take it he's coming back next year, but I wonder if that's really good for the Giants.

I guess I am meandering around my point, which is that as far as Gailey and his age is concerned, I am more concerned about him being used to being out of football for two years, and how he's going to have to change gears going forward, than his age being some kind of disqualification for the OC job.

18. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles wasnt the HC.

He's been a DC for basically 2 seasons and change. I don't care how level headed, tough, or respected you are. Never being a HC and being a coordinator for TWO YEARS is grossly underqualified for an NFL HC position, particularly one with a team that is'nt very good and hasn't won in nearly 50 years.

19. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

And Mike Tomlin was a D-Coord for 1 season before taking over in Pittsburgh. Mike McCarthy had 3 good O-Coord years in NO before shitting the bed in SF prior to getting hired in GB. Just two quick examples with similar experience (or even less)....

Conversely, Mike Shannahan won THREE Superbowls and was a disaster in Washington. Jimmy Johnson won 2 Superbowls, and got ousted 3 consecutive years in the playoffs with the Dolphins.

There is no crystal ball in football. So relax.

20. BookEndTackles 72&79

You are beyond clueless and can not be taken seriously if you think this is the 6th ranked defense in the NFL.

How about red zone defense percentage??? Near the bottom.
    How about creating turnovers??? Practically non-existent.
    How about TD passes given up?? I think it was the worst (that's #32) in the league.
    How about 3rd down efficiency in getting off the field??? Near the bottom
    Points allowed???? Bottom 1/3 of the league

You care to explain the consistent failures of the defense in the 2 minute drill??
    You care to explain the propensity of this defense to give up HUGE plays every game?? The 90 yard rushing TD by Miami in the last game. The 90 yard Bridgewater TD in OT. Bridgewater with another 50 yard TD. Payton's 60 yard pass play on the first play of the game. Rodgers to Jordy Nelson 80 yard TD pass. Orton to Watkins for 80 yards where Hakim makes the tackle at the 1. Oliver with San Diego caught one for 50. Malcolm Floyd caught one for 50. I'm sure there are a bunch of others I'm missing.

Claiming this is the 6th ranked defense is basically just an ignorant way to look at it. I'm sure Rex will point to it and claim he did a great job and is not a "mediocre" coach.

74 and rockyusmc2003 like this.