Chan Gailey New Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

At least read the entire wiki before you post like you're an expert.

"Michael Taylor of Mill Valley created and developed the Pistol Offense (called the "Shotgun I" at that time) in 1999 while playing softball."

"University of Nevada head coach Chris Ault popularized the single back alignment (and renamed it the "Pistol") in 2005."

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah ... um ... on not an expert on the Mill Valley adult mens softball league ... or whatever offensive planning sessions they were having in left-centerfield between innings. The first guy that was running it in college was the guy in Nevada.

Oh, hey! That sounds familiar.

#242 Unhappyjetsfan, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  3. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

Yeah... you read the wiki and re-worded it.

4. Unhappyjetsfan

It gets mentioned every single time they talk about Chip Kelly (or Oregon) on television. It also gets mentioned whenever Colin Kaepernick wipes his nose. Hell, they mentioned it on Monday night during the National Championship game in reference to Urban Meyer going to Kelly a couple years ago to learn the "Nevada" offense. It's common knowledge for anyone who has watched pro or college football for more than 15 minutes in the last 5 years.

5. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

OK didn't know that

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Then why didn't you keep him?

7. nyjetsknicks247

From everything I seen again idk much about gailey but seems like most people think he makes a better OC then HC

8. boozer32

There have been at least 10 OC opening the last 2 years that Gailey was out of football and his name never came up. But the offensive starved Jets think they can reinvent the wheel. Well I'm here to tell you we are not that lucky. This guy is small town country and he'll be run out of town just like Idzik but maybe sooner. This potential hiring potentially sucks.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Hate to break it to you but a Superbowl champion coach has never won a Superbowl on two diffrent teams in NFL history

JetBlue likes this.
  10. boozer32

Football has passed this guy by and hiring him will make the already worst offense in the AFC East comatose. If Bowles is suppose to be this young up and coming genius I'm already skeptical because this is his first hire. Not a good sign. Hope that fire Idzik banner can be modified.

11. nyjetsknicks247

Bowles is 51 far from young

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That's how people who don't know anything about football think winning teams are run.

13. Unhappyjetsfan

Lots of Super Bowl winning assistant coaches have gone on to win Super Bowls as HCs.

Plus you've got guys like Don Shula who won NFL Championships with the Colts and a Super Bowl with the Dolphins. Or guys like Parcells who won titles in NY and went to the Super Bowl with New England (and completely changed the culture with the Jets and Cowboys). Or someone like Gibbs who won a title, retired for years, then returned and was back in the playoffs.

But, getting back to the original point, they should have hired someone (as GM) who was a Super Bowl winning GM, HC, or assistant GM (handling personnel), and someone as a HC who won a Super Bowl (as a HC or coordinator, and then didn't embarrass himself for a decade elsewhere) somewhere else. It's not just about Xs and Os - it's about changing the culture of an business from the top down.

The NFL is any different than other businesses; the recipe for success is the same. Find people who are the best at what they do, with proven track records of success (not just moderate success, but "best in the industry" success), do whatever it takes to get them to work for you, and then get out of the way.

#253 Unhappyjetsfan, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  14. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

We didn't win. We couldn't play defense to save our lives. But that doesn't mean he wasn't good with the offense.

15. JetBlue

Who on the coaching staff or management of the last 5 Super Bowl champions had won Super Bowls in a comparable position at their previous teams? Surely it will be an overwhelming amount.

16. Unhappyjetsfan

Well going back 10 years ...

Pete Carroll (GM/HC Seahawks) won a college national championship as HC
    Ozzie Newsome (GM Ravens) won a Super Bowl as Asst GM with the Ravens
    Jim Caldwell (OC Ravens) lost in the Super Bowl as HC with the Colts and won a Super Bowl as Asst HC with the Colts
    Dean Pees (DC Ravens) lost in the Super Bowl as DC with the Patriots
    Ted Thompson (GM Packers) won a Super Bowl as Asst GM with the Packers
    Mickey Loomis (GM Saints) lost in the Super Bowl as Asst GM with the Seahawks
    Sean Payton (HC Saints) lost in the Super Bowl as OC with the Giants
    Greg Williams (DC Saints) lost in the Super Bowl as DC with the Titans
    Dick LaBeau (DC Steelers) lost in the Super Bowl as DC with the Bengals and lost in the Super Bowl in a previous stint as DC with the Steelers
    Jerry Reese (GM Giants) lost in the Super Bowl as an Asst GM with the Giants
    Bill Polian (GM Colts) lost in Super Bowls as GM with the Bills
    Bill Belichick (GM/HC Patriots) won Super Bowls as DC with the Giants

17. nyjetsknicks247

Maybe you should run the team since you got it all figured out

18. Unhappyjetsfan

I'll let you know if they ask me.

19. JetBlue

That's a lot of Super Bowl losses to validate your argument that you need have won a Super Bowl to qualify as being a legitimate candidate. Or are you now disputing your own position?

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Actually I said to hire "champions" and further stated that my two top choices were Saban and Meyer. Did you miss that post? Or are you intentionally mis-characterizing what I wrote?

But, to get back to your initial question, I didn't say (or even imply) it was impossible to win a championship as a head coach or general manager if you were never part of one previously (at a lower level). I said the best way to win a championship was to hire people that had done it before and that you couldn't be the "most-qualified" candidate (for GM or HC) unless you had. That said, I suppose you have a point in that I really don't see much of a difference in qualifications between a guy who won a Super Bowl as an offensive coordinator and someone who lost a Super Bowl as an offensive coordinator - I suppose I have a "get there and anything can happen" attitude towards the result of the championship game, itself (there's too many variables involved, the most obvious being talent disparity and injuries).