Is Geno fixable?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bellows1, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I seriously hope you don't hold verbal conversations like this....

2. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The west coast offence is not for Geno.. Too much verbiage, too many progressions and too many plays...

4. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I think you get better through repetition and practice. With everyone's job on the line, they desperately tried to change Geno's style of play several times the last two years.
    He was a gun slinger, he was a pocket passer, he was game manager. Back and forth between. They never allowed him to grow comfortable before changing him again.
    I don't see greatness, but I see a guy who could "hold the fort", even become decent in the right system. But he'll need a lot of talent around him.

5. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

The new coach has to see what can be salvaged. We are not in a position to take Winston or Mariota and the FA market isn't great. There is no pressure to win in 2015 so it's not like Geno in year 3 would be destroying a playoff team if he struggles.

6. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Yes he can be fixed

Is it spayed or neutered?

7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Great post and analogies- you are correct

8. freemantoon

freemantoon Active Member

does anyone think if the week 17 miami game had meant anything he would have played that well?? i don't . any bit of pressure and he blows chunks. i think we are all smart enough not to be fooled by a good game from him to close the season when the other team has nothing to play for. like i always said "dumber than a box o rocks"!!

Big Blocker likes this.
  9. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

Its been so long since we have seen competent QB play in a Jets uniform that fans are naturally pessimistic.

Geno Smith actually responded very well to his benching posting a 97 QB rating in the month of December. Maybe I am nuts, but I do feel he can be successful in the right offense.

Jetaho and MikeSLTJ23 like this.
  10. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Wool has again been pulled over my eyes. Maybe I'm crazy, but I see flashes once in a while. Maybe something clicks at some point. I don't think he's as far off as most others think. Is it probable? Of course not. But I think he might be written off too soon. I would have hoped to see progression this year. I didn't. And I am not the least bit opposed to ending the Geno era, but only if it makes sense to. I'd give him another shot if the new staff thinks it's our best bet for one more year in year 3.

11. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

he absolutely COULD get better, but betting odds say he won't and we shouldn't rely on him to be our man under center.

as is, he's looking like a career backup. it galls me when people say he's not an NFL QB, he absolutely is, he's just not consistent enough to be a starter.

maybe a new offense gives him a spark, who knows, point is he's not a reliable signal caller and is a jet in 2015 for better or worse because he's cheap and has a bit of experience.

[​IMG]

NOT RELIABLE

Jets69 likes this.
  12. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

Evaluate what I said!
    Ryan can't coach, Smith and Vick can't quarterback, you've lost most of your coaching staff that went 4 - 12 and that's your reply?

13. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

Smith doesn't have any choice but to agree to benching.
    If Smith loses this job, he's going to be delivering the morning newspaper...on a bicycle.
    He can't see the field. i.e. He can't go through his reads quick enough and throw the ball...half way through... he's running for his life.
    You can't learn that, it's mental acuity, your brain has to work that fast.
    Watch how fast good quarterbacks do it, less than 2.5 seconds the ball is gone...NFL football is played at warp speed! Geno is never going to be there.
    He's a nice guy, if you like him that much adopt him into your family.

14. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

I hope he can. For his and the Jets sakes.

15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

It got canned and replaced by the London games in a nutshell. Goodell decided it was costing too much (it lost a little bit of money each season) and preferred something that made a bit of money. Like in the US, fans weren't that interested in watching a lower standard made up of career back-ups and never-will-bes.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The prospect of the concussion lawsuits had something to do with the decision as well. An adverse decision by a court not influenced by the NFL could have been very bad.

Microsoft got in trouble with Internet Explorer because European courts had jurisdiction over the sales of Windows in Europe.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

LOL, so his excuse is being stupid?

anyway, in regards to the original question; I never liked him coming out of college and didnt understand the predraft hype, and even moreso watching him at the draft.
    Wasnt too stoked when the JETS drafted him, but it was the 2nd rd, so not too bad (what's another 2nd rd flop after a decades worth). Obviously I wanted this kid to succeed and prove me wrong as I would any player in green. While he has shown flashes at times that started to make me think that maybe I was wrong, he has also looked like a colossal disaster at times.
    I just dont think he has the "it" factor as others have said, and has poor field presence/awareness. Unless he figures out how to successfully play under center and not just the shotgun, he's got no shot. I hope I'm wrong.

FlaJet and Jets69 like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good post. I agree. He needs a different system before we give up on him. I hope the next HC brings us a spread offense system similar to offenses in NE and NO. The WCO playbook should be burned in a fire. Geno or no Geno.

19. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Could the Kyle Shannahan 2012 offense help Geno?

20. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Vick was a bad influence on Geno and Marty could not get through to him. With the lack of talent available at the QB position (including this years WEAK qb draft), I would suggest at least giving him a chance to compete for the job. I would be pleased to see young Shanny or even Trestman come in and help Geno. Again, Vick was part of the problem. He was supposed to teach Geno how to be more professional and help him learn Marty's offense (which he did in the past). I don't think he was here for anything more than a paycheck.