Is Geno fixable?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bellows1, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's had an awful lot of starts to date to be in a make-or-break scenario. If he had done more offensively alongside the mistakes then he'd be in Eli's situation going into year 3. He just hasn't done enough to get the benefit of the doubt at this point. Having another season go by the boards because Geno's fumbling around back there trying to figure things out is not my ideal scenario for 2015.

The Jets were an 8 win team with passable QB play this year. They lost 3 games early on, including at least one gimme the other team tried to hand them, due mainly to crappy QB play. Once the offense couldn't put up points the defense eventually cracked in all 3.

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I agree he should not be the starter for 2015. And that the Jets had better talent than 4-12. It's not all on the Qb position although he lost games. I don't think the jury is out on him yet but almost. He finished two seasons in a row on an upswing. Like to see us get in someone like Hoyer this year. Is Geno flops again draft someone in '16,

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Could it be that he is trying hard and that Rex & Co can't develop Quarterbacks? I am no Geno fan, but its possible that he is trying and wasn't being taught the right things. I am holding out small hope that he can turn it around. It makes it easier to cope with the fact that he might be our best option in 2015. At least we should 100% know what we have in him either way if he plays all of 2015.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Of course he can.

The question is can the Jets fix him.

5. Br4d

It's not hard to teach don't turn around and run backwards when you have a guy in your face and are about to get sacked. That happened how many times this year?

seanofthedead likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No, he really does think he is great. You can tell when you watch his interviews. The guy is clueless. I don't know what you have been watching, but that is what I have seen. It is awful.

7. Br4d

The problem with Hoyer is that if he has some mediocre starts early on the pressure to bring in Geno (or whoever the young guy is) will be immense. You need somebody at QB who can weather a bad start or two without having the crowd howling for the backup.

The Jaguars made a huge mistake this year with Bortles. They had Henne under center the first couple of games and he had bad starts and the Jags rushed Bortles on to the field. He should have sat at least until the bye. He was over-exposed his rookie year and now if he has a bad start next year the Jags will be back in a pickle at QB again.

8. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

nope... trade him & get Whatever you can

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe the Jets can't, but I have a feeling playing a few years in the CFL could go a long ways towards helping his understand the nuances of the QB position. Would have helped Teblow too but he was too stubborn. I hope Geno's head isn't as hard.

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced in the littlest way Geno will be the starter next year....there's a long way to go before we assume "its a make or break year" for a guy who may not see the field.Jets fans always make the mistake of looking at the roster in January and thinking its gonna be the same in September

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

[​IMG]

12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Talk about selling low...

13. Cman68

He'll have his chance to start over. Kinda makes sense considering he wasn't exactly distraught after Woody blew up the FO/CS.
    The kid is looking for a fresh start and if Shanahan is the QB whisperer people seem to think he is, Geno's last start might be the start of something rather than the fluke most of us think it was.

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm not a big believer in franchise Qbs. If you find one like the Colts did twice you're very fortunate. But to aim at that and plan your organizational strategy around that could mean years of losing records. I don't see Geno being able to consistently run an offense successfully. Even a conservative offense but not 100% convinced he can't. I think his mistakes are fixable but is he fixable?

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You can count the qb's that have gone to the CFL and come back and been successful on one hand.

On the other hand, the trend (for lack of a better word) in the NFL to rush rookie quarterbacks onto the field is asinine.

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good synopsis on Geno Anecdotal King;)

17. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he broke last season.

To answer OP's question - No.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Henne forced their hand with his ineffective play early which was just a continuation of his terrible preseason. And once they went with Bortles there was no turning back. JAX are not the NYJ, Bortles is going to have a longer leash than the start of the season. Also it's not like JAX has a veteran offensive unit being held back by a young QB. There are a young but talented group that are going through their lumps together.

19. Cman68

So given those two facts, what has Geno got to lose by going to the defacto NFL minors for a bit? Bench time? BTW.. whatever happened to NFLE?

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I can't see getting rid of him right now. The reason I said it's a make or break year is because he's at the end of the learning curve (for me). He either improves or they cut him. And this doesn't mean that he starts either. I don't believe in lost seasons to develop a Qb. If that's the case he had his lost seasons. They say most Qbs have to fall down on their face, pick themselves up before they understand how to play the position. He has to commit himself in the offseason to fix the mistakes. It's not impossible there is talent.