Rex's Last Stand...a fantastic article...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by mezzavo, Jan 6, 2015.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yea I read this earlier it really was a well written article,really good stuff

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Good article.

3. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

It starts with a bang:

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson, a Magoo-ish rich eccentric out of central casting who wears a goofy green tie to Sunday games and looks like he might play with toy trucks on all the days in between

lmao

4. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

5. fireidzik_billboard

fireidzik_billboard Active Member

Really enjoyed talking to Taibbi... There is such a huge difference doing an interview with him than any of the beat guys... We talked for over an hour for the two quotes he got from me... He was writing that article for about a week and a half.

I don't agree with some of what he said in the article but it was very interesting to read his take on Rex - especially considering the fact that he's a Pats fan.

mezzavo likes this.
  6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Well I liked it. I enjoy a writer that can roll from multiple view points and do it with a bit of reminiscing, mix in some fact but with enough fiction to add twists. Rex is an easy guy to write about as well...especially considering he's such a big personality.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It's a shame this thing is lost in Grantland. It reads like a piece from Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair or Esquire. Kudos, Taibbi!

8. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Great read. Love Rex. That said.....changes nothing. Rex sucked as a HC in many ways, and the team has been on a slide for 3 years. Rex had to go. Cleaning house and starting new was the only way to go. Woody has got this one right - so far.

mezzavo likes this.
  9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

You Rex fanboys write as if the guy has a .700 winning percentage and two Superbowls. "We would be screwed for years?!?!?!?!?" The "Rex Ryan Sweepstakes?!?!?!?!?" Seriously? Give me a fucking break. I think we finally found a group of people even more delusional than Rex Ryan: His fans.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Amazing article about a simply awesome coach.

I fuckin hate thinking and knowing that this guy will no longer be on the Jets sideline every Sunday. It saddens me as much as it pisses me off.

I'm gonna miss Rex a ton. And I hope to God he wins a super bowl somewhere else like Atlanta. Not the Bills. He deserves one so bad and it would be a huge fuck you to the moronic prick we have as an owner.

Fuck. This sucks.

mezzavo likes this.
  11. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

It was overtly sentimental and over the top. Rex did one of the best coaching jobs in NFL history in 2008 and 2009, really? It was basically comparable to Bum Phillips in Houston when he went to two title games in a row and was the flamboyant character coach of his day. At least Bum lost to a dynasty both times. Don't get me wrong I love Rex but good lord this guy comes off as more of a fan than a writer.

And not being facually correct bugs me...we were not up 17-6 at the half against the Colts. We were up 17-6 just before the half when Manning went on a two-minute drill and scored a TD that changed the entire complexion of the game before halftime.

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

There will always be someone lol

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You could make it to the end with all of your timeouts.

slimjasi likes this.
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

hahah I dindt make it to the end....I cant lie.....and I burned two TOs just to rest my eyes

mezzavo likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Me too. What if they win more than 4 games, play disciplined, and actually make the playoffs? I might lose my mind!

slimjasi likes this.
  16. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Good article. Rex will be missed. Taibbi is a great writer. I have two of his books. Its too bad this is lost on Grantland - it reads like one of his typical Rolling Stone peices.