Jets option at QB in 2015

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Dec 19, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would LOVE to get Bryce Petty in the 3rd (at this pace, he could be a 2nd rounder). Get Sam Bradford / Brian Hoyer as the vet.

Geno gets demoted to 3rd string unless he beats out Petty.

PulseJet likes this.
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

At this point last year it was Bridgewater all the way and you know how that turned out. After the combine and pro days these guys will be all over the draft board.
    Best scenario for me is
    Hoyer/Bradford
    Hundley/Petty
    Geno/Simms

Any combo of those would work, vet - rook - backup

Oh and draft OL in the first round after signing Houston, Revis, Iupati and Demaryius.

#242 NOVAJET, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a Hoyer signing. It doesn't sound like he will be going back to Cleve (which is a mistake on their part). Johnny Football already getting into trouble plus he looked bad when he actually got a chance to start.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

And Derek Carr…just saying.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If simms outplays smith, fine, cut him. otherwise there's no harm keeping him so long as we bolster the position with a good vet and a draft pick.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I used to be in the bringing in Hoyer camp but now I feel that if you are going to bring in Hoyer, you might as well bring in Sanchez. They are essentially the same player IMO with the devil we know being younger. At this point I'd rather take a flyer on one of the two Mr. Glass QBs, Bradford or Locker.

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Sanchez is out of the question. That would be going backwards. Esp with a team in a rebuild. Sanchez as we know can't handle anything that isn't almost perfect.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think for several reasons Carr is a different prospect then Smith / Mariota. Even so, Mariota should not be compared to Smith.

9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Agreed entirely. IIRC, Locker looked fairly competent in 2013, until the Jets knocked him out. Bradford, I'm a little less optimistic about because of his love for the short passing game; however, that could just be Schott's system. I'd pass on both Sanchez and Hoyer, as well as Schaub, Flynn, Orton, Campbell, or any of the former-starter-now-backup talent around the league. As other posters have mentioned, it's highly unlikely that any free agent veteran (or Simms) will successfully beat out Smith. That being said, if there's a chance to get Chase Daniel for a low round pick and peanuts, that wouldn't be the worst idea ever. (Daniel is probably worth more to the Chief's organization though.) Even if it's between the free agent and Smith, it might make more sense to start the latter in hopes that he makes the highly improbable bend, ala Brees.

Whatever the Jets do at QB in 2015, their philosophy about the position has to change. They need to learn from their mistakes: (1) Don't let having a young QB on the roster stop you from taking a potentially better one in the draft; (2) don't rush QB development. In any event, looking forward to seeing what happens with the new GM.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

In a fair competition, imo it is not a sure thing Smith beats out Simms. But i realize that is not the prevailing view here.

11. Big Blocker

I don't disagree on the Simms v. Smith competition.

Bottom line is Smith has no right to the 1st or even backup spot on the depth chart. Not even 3rd, for that matter. He would have to earn it.

12. Big Blocker

No way the buttfumble guy comes back here. Why would he want that, anyway?

13. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Winston going Pro.

14. k311

k311 Member

Please. Do not let us draft him.

15. RevisIsland10

RevisIsland10 Member

I'll happily take the best QB in this draft and arguably the most talented to come out since Andrew Luck.

Axel3419 likes this.
  16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be against Jason Campbell as the Hold-the-fort veteran. He always seemed, to me, to be a guy with plenty of talent and ability, but always got a raw deal. I think he's had a different OC every year he's been in the league, and nearly as many HCs.

17. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I could be terribly mistaken, but now that Winston and Mariota are both definitely coming out, it seems nearly certain that at least one of them will be waiting for us at the 6th (barring a trade-up or the unlikely Bucs/Titans both taking Qbs scenario). No matter who we choose, though, I'd prefer if a veteran (or even Geno) started next season.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...egations-against-fsu-jameis-winston.html?_r=0

I was a fan of potentially drafting Winston, but reading this gives me the impression that a cover up took place in regards to the accusations against Winston concerning rape / sexual misconduct.

If I were the Jets I would look long and hard at this situation. Winston was never found guilty of anything, but the Jets are not the justice system. If they have even the smallest amount of doubt that there is more smoke here than what has already been put out there, then they should simply not include Winston on their draft board.

I believe Winston is enormously talented and will make an excellent NFL QB. At the same time, the Jets can't afford to take a chance like this. Some problem draft prospects are absolutely worth taking a chance on. The linked article makes me believe Winston isn't one of them.

19. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Bradford is, has, and will be the best option. The dude will be a free agent and has proven he can be successful in the NFL. And again, unlike Penny, he's not hurting his throwing arm, he keeps getting fluke knee injuries. Well, he was never mobile anyway (a la Brady or Palmer when they hurt their knee).

if Bradford stays healthy (which at some point he will, just like Chad did when he finished 2nd in MVP voting) you are getting a top 10 qb, at worst. Oh, and I repeat, Winston will never be better than Geno Smith, who is one of the worst qb's in the NFL...

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

When you say Bradford and "top 10 at worst" you clearly show you suck at evaluating the QB position. So when you follow that up with the prediction that Winston will be worse than Geno Smith, I actually feel more encouraged about Winston's future considering the source