Scathing article on Marrone

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LiterateStylish, Jan 4, 2015.

1. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

This article infuriates me. Such bs. My guess is Mehta found one source in buffalo who is a lackey who didn't like being disciplined and used his view of Marrone and sold it as what everyone in Buffalo felt. Just Manish trying to stir the pot because the only journalism he accounts for is basically gossip. Guy never wrote a true football article that told us something we don't know.

And I'm indifferent on Marrone too. He hasn't done enough to get all the buzz he's getting but that's not to say he won't be a good hire for the Jets. Guys like Brandon Moors, Kevin Mawae, and Curtis Martin have said that he was always approachable and is a genuine good guy. They also said no one worked harder with the last guy on the roster to the first to coach them up. Moore attributed much of his success to him. I'll take those 3 guys opinions, 3 great players who are character guys you want on your team over any of Manish's anonymous sources.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Marrone won a couple of bowl games in his 4 years at Syracuse. Yeah, they were the Pinstripe Bowl and nothing special. However they were also 2 of the 4 bowls the school has won since 2001. The 8 win seasons in 2010 and 2012 are the Syracuse high water mark since 2001 as well.

Clearly Marrone is able to take second-rate teams and programs and get something out of them. He's probably a really good choice to come in here and stabilize the Jets. He may not be the guy to take them to a Super Bowl but I don't see anybody clearly better out there.

FJF likes this.
  3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Really? Quinn generates excitement? A guy who has been a coordinator for two seasons on a team that arguably has the most defensive talent in the NFL - talent that he inherited? And it has been written that Quinn's schemes are "simple." I have nothing against Quinn and he may be a great coach, but there is very little on his resume to date other than being an assistant on a SB champ. That does nothing to get me excited.and hiring another DC does little to indicate a culture change. There isn't a candidate out there that stands out.m

legler82 likes this.
  4. NIJet

NIJet Member

Seeing as we just fired a guy that took us to 2 championship games, I'd say taking a coach that may not be able to take us to the super bowl is not a great decision.

legler82 likes this.
  5. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

About 30 years ago I was standing with a high school football coach and a large young man came over to say good bye because he was changing schools for a reason I don't remember. I was introduced to a young Doug Marrone who went on to be a top player. The coach said he was a fine young man. I have never forgotten that and have followed his career since. I hope he gets a good look for the job.

Endlessly Counting and Br4d like this.
  6. Br4d

Anybody we hire may not be able to take us to a Super Bowl. I was just pointing out that there are no sure things out there right now and Marrone is as likely as any of them to turn the team around. That he has managed to get Syracuse a couple of 2nd tier bowl wins and the Bills above .500 for the first time in a decade is plus given our current situation.

He's not going to come in here, look around at the talent and say "what have I gotten myself into?" He's already been to Syracuse and Buffalo with weaker talent than you'd like and helped them out of the hole.

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

So should we just tap out? Tom cable should be the one you're worried about. I can't believe they even interviewed him. Quinn was a Jets coach and has had other coaching jobs in the NFL. So just because he was a DC for 2 years does not mean he doesn't have experience. As far as his simple schemes what is so bad about that? Maybe he has a bunch of dumb defensive players that can't comprehend complex schemes with Sherman being the exception. Sometimes simple is best. The one thing I like about him is he is adjustable, being able to put players in the best situation. That might have been one of Rex's problems. He blitz when he should have been in more zone sometimes.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

We really have low expectations. I would rather go for then settle for a Marrone. This guy screams Rick Kottite. What I hate the most about him is lack of passion. A bad play and he has this distant lost look on his face.

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Kotite? Where is that coming from? What is the comparison? Kotite took over a good Eagles team and couldn't sustain the success of his predecessor coaches, then had a Jets team play way below its talent level. Marrone took over two programs in disarray and made them winners. And how do you know he lacks passion? As for lack of passion, Belichick appears to be the least passionate coach in the league, but his public persona may be misleading, and he is considered the best coach in the NFL .

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I mentioned in another thread, in early December Mehta wrote an article saying how Rex would be a great fit in ATL, while Smith was the HC there and Rex was the HC here. The article had a photoshopped Rex in Falcons great at the podium talking.

I think Mehta is basically telling Rex's side of the story of what happened, through Rex or Rex's agent.

11. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Who would thunk that Pete Carroll would win a SB in his third go round? Not me. So, I have my doubts about Marrone but there are not a lot of known quantities out there. And he is probably the best of those. I was encouraged when I read that Marrone stalked out of the room when Whaley made the trade for Sammie Watkins, giving up a first this year (another reason for leaving?) So he was not the guiding force up there on personnel. Maybe he did not even want Manuel and that is why he had no trouble benching him? Maybe he was restrained up there by upper management? It is common knowledge that they did not get along. There are some encouraging possibilities with a hire of Marrone. I also read that he hired some good coaches up there, something Rex never thought was important. I am trying to be optimistic

Matty Jets likes this.
  12. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

Firstly, this is honestly one of the worst written articles I've ever read. It was repetitive to the point of how does Mehta still have a job as a writer. Secondly, it was Mehta, and any article he writes has an agenda.

I have no idea how this guy still has a job after positing this article

13. Br4d

Mehta keeps his job based solely on the traffic that he brings to his publications website. He's good at being the anti-Jet writer that draws haters and disgruntled fans. You just have to realize that his job description is not "Dispenser of Truthful Facts about the Jets".

irishwhip03 likes this.
  14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Manish was a great beat writer his first two years on the job. The garbage to come from him since then is clearly planned and agenda driven. The Daily Snooze wants to make itself a part of the story. Mehta has worked as diligently as any of their employees to that goal. Too bad for him he'll be remembered as tabloid trash rather than the good writer he's capable of being.

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Urbik was god awful for the 1st half in the NFL(No idea if he picked it up, I don't think so?), its not Marrone's fault he was so damn bad. He gave our Brian Winters a serious fight for worst LG for the 1st half of the NFL Season. The fact that he is excited Marrone's gone shows he isn't holding himself accountable, which would piss me off as a Bills fan.

16. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Its unprofessional writing, it is nauseating to read. Marrone has done nothing wrong to warrant this type of stance by Mehta. It comes off as Mehta looking out for other beat writers and making sure they get a coach to give them the tidbids, which is why he and others were so Anti-Idzik(Costello throwing a hissy fit because the Jets were not giving out any draft whispers and because the draft was in May was a laughable article for example). The Jets beat writers had their guys in Rex and Mr.T and they took those for granted and now they reap what they sow if someone like Marrone comes on board. The thing you owe the readers is professional writing, something Mehta simply does not do.

It was like the Sanchez injury and how Mehta reacted to it, what did Sanchez do to warrant a starting QB job? Because Geno was hurt and didn't impress too? That's why? Mehta has been and will always be a mark for himself and he is the product of his newspaper stand, much like Frank Isola who can't get enough of hearing himself speak.

17. Br4d

You just need to recognize that he's not writing for Jets fans. He's writing for people who are predisposed to hate the Jets. I haven't read anything he's written since the beginning of 2013 because it dawned on me at that point that he wasn't writing anything a Jets fan needed to read. The Holmes fiasco began the process of turning Mehta into an anti-Jets writer. I'm guessing his hits went way up at that point and he realized more people would like to read negative stuff about the Jets than positive stuff. Since then he hasn't contributed anything of value to the conversation for a Jets fan and so I've stopped reading.

Boycotting him doesn't matter because he isn't writing for the people who would boycott. He's writing for the people more likely to read him when he trashes the Jets.

LAJet and xxedge72x like this.
  18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

It's up to the Daily News to monitor their writers. So if it's ok with them and it goes through their legal team who cares. Obviously the Daily News doesn't and nobody thinks of them as anything other than the rag they are.

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Remember when Barcs was worried for these guys' safety? Hahahahaha, what a herb.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That Nate Jackson excerpt was a really good read.

I'm gonna get a hold of his book.