the ALL Doug Marrone thread. (Everything goes in here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by mikey, Dec 31, 2014.

?

Would you like Doug Marrone to be the next HC of the Jets?

1. Yeah

84 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. Neah

123 vote(s)
    59.4%
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Much better is a stretch, better but in 2009 they had similar teams except Marrone had a vet QB and Rex a rookie. Rex led his team to title game, Marrone out of playoffs by week 16.

He's not lateral, he's nowhere near Rex. that doesn't mean it cannot work out, I think our biggest problem is talent acquisition but he's nowhere near Rex.

2. largojetfan

largojetfan Member

1. He's not tough. Didn't like the Buffalo Media, how do you think he will deal with the NYC media?
    2. We are now looking for reasonable results? He didn't succeed with his offense. His young QB was benched for Kyle Orton. A losing record despite playing the Jets 4 times in 2 years. Not the guy we need here right now.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

holy hell. they were both 9-7. Rex was lucky the tie breakers played to his advantage and that Colts laid down for him.. otherwise he'd been eliminated by week 16 too.

Also - the fact that Marrone had a vet QB is actually something he deserves credit for. He had the smarts and the balls to manage his QB situation properly. Something Rex didn't do in all of his 6 years here.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Why would you compare 13/14 Marrone to 09/10 Rex? It is pointless. Compare 13/14 Marrone to 13/14 Rex. Marrone won 3 of 4 by total domination. Marrone went (15-17) in Buffalo. Not great, but turned the team around. Rex went (12-20) and was a complete embarrassment.

5. BrowningNagle

The point about the media is a fair one. He was a little rattled it appeared by Buffalo's toothless hack fans, one newspaper, one radio station, etc... The Jets media will be 1000x worse. It's a concern of mine too. But there's something to be said for moving on from paddy cake time with Rex that we saw here for 6 years.

6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The worst thing any team or fan can do is taking seriously what is said in the newspaper about a coach. Remember the "clueless Joe" headline in the News before Torre was hired by the Yanks. What Richie Kottite has to do with Doug Marrone is beyond me. Sportswriters only care if the coach is a good story and gives them quotes. The fact that Marrone had a tough relationship with the Buffalo media should not be any consideration in the evaluation of him as a perspective hire. Surely the committee will ignore the local scribes and choose based on NFL football acumen. If he is the guy fine. If someone is a better fit choose him. Ignore the newspapers please.

7. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

What the hell has marrone done? Please go get duke Tobin to GM this team and let him decide the coach. We choose marrone we'll be looking for a coaching change in 2 years.

8. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

Why are we looking at coaches before a GM is hired??

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Flipping from disciplinarian to player's coach often gives you a big boost for a season, particularly on a veteran team. Mangini to Rex as an example. Flipping from a player's coach to a disciplinarian only really works if you're going to go very young and build on the fly. Herm to Mangini worked great the first year as the Jets drafted 10 players and let go some vets and got much younger. Then in year 2 the problems with vets surfaced even before training camp with the Jets player rep Pete Kendall becoming the lightning rod and getting shipped out of town after some fairly abusive behavior by the Jets.

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

It makes sense. To get your GM in place first and then let him hire the coach. But even after Woody admits that doing it that way 2 years ago didn't work he still does it the same imprecise way. What do you want him to do, fire himself. Not a bad idea. As for Marrone. To me he's the best candidate so I'd go after him now. Reportedly he had a telephone conversation with Woody that went very well. And is to be interviewed this Sunday or Monday after the Seattle interviews with Cable and Quinn.

11. BrowningNagle

So you are arguing that flipping from player's coach to disciplinarian is a good one in the short term?? of which I agree.

I wouldn't worry too much about the long term/the veterans here now because most of the old guard are either on their way out anyway or suck so who really cares.. this is a young team that could look very different in 2/3 years.

I don't really think Marrone is a true disciplinarian though by categorization. He's certainly not an Eric Mangini "tough guy". Most players there liked him.. most the players at Syracuse liked him.. the players in N.O. and here as an assistant liked him..

Idk, I could be wrong but he's not the "tough" guy from what I can tell. He definitely is more detail-oriented though. That's what he brought to Buffalo. Just a few weeks ago their President Russ Brandon who has been in Buffalo for many years in their playoff drought was talking about how he thought fans and media there were being unfair to Marrone for certain decisions/interactions and how the biggest thing he did there was change the culture. He credited Marrone with keeping players more detail-oriented and focused. Something that hadn't been there in the past. (also something that hasn't happened here in awhile)

12. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I don't fond of Marrone but mostly feel like we are just making the same mistake in not allowing our future GM the ability to hire his HC. It just doesn't work to have things go in this order. Hire the GM, if you pick a good one he will find a good HC to work with.

I am also not that blown away from his resume. Yes he has NFL experience and led the bills to 9-7, but you have to credit the defense for stepping up, its not like the offense was top 12, not even close to it. He has to be partially responsible for drafting EJ Manual, if he is hired again I have no reason to believe he knows how to draft and develop a qb.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Flipping from one extreme to the other rarely pays long-term dividends. It's best to find a centered guy who is good at what he does and is given the chance to build a team.

If you have a veteran team that was under-achieving under a disciplinarian by all means go and get happy guy and let the good times roll until the vets melt away. Then you'll pay the price. If you have a young team that is undisciplined go get mr slappy and watch things tighten up a lot and the team improve. The vets will make you pay for that down the road though.

It's always the vets that make you pay when you're bouncing back and forth between tight and happy. They get old and fat under happy guy and then retire. They've seen enough to know mr slappy isn't the only thing out there and they get snarly and leave when the opportunity arises.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

13/14 Rex had very little talent. Marrone has Jets '09/'10 talent and couldn't even get to the playoffs. give the coaches similar talent and Rex's teams will finish ahead like last year even though Buf had far more talent.

jetlife21 likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

I don't really think you can make the assumption that flipping from one extreme to the other rarely pays long-term dividends. You offered examples only here in NY.

New England fans would disagree. Flipping from the ultimate player's coach in Carroll to the ultimate disciplinarian in Belichick has brought them long-term success.

How about the Giants? Fassel was more of a player's coach and Coughlin is an extreme disciplinarian.. they've had long term success

How about the Saints? going from Jim Haslett to Sean Payton was almost one extreme to the other.. long term success

How about the Packers? Sherman is well-known as a disciplinarian and they switched to McCarthy a player's coach. Long term success.

I really don't think there is an assumption to be made one way or another here. I think if a coach is good it doesn't matter how they coach in the long term.. .they will be a good coach. Especially if they are flexible or learn from previous mistakes. I also personally don't have a preference for either style as one can win with either but I do think it's a good thing to switch from one style to the other to keep things fresh in the short term.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Someone please explain to me how Rex was a good head coach? What did he excel in as a HC that makes him good? While you're at it you can explain to me how he is considered a defensive genius as well?

17. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

Doug Marrone has done nothing to warrant an NFL head coaching job. We'll be looking for another HC in two years if we hire him.

18. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Shit anybody that leads the bills to a winning record has to be looked at with some kind of appreciation. But at the end of the season he left with one good thing going and that was his d-line, that's our juice too. What Rex has always done best was make great qb's look like an entirely different (not for the better) player. That's what marrone did to Brady manning & Rodgers this year. So at least not for nothing we'll have our identity still

19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You definitely got that right my man...something definitely "stinks in Pooville."

20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

What scares me is waiting to make a decision until the other teams have done their hiring. I'd rather be the one saying at least we got who we wanted while EVERYONE was still available. At least shows some conviction.

The ONLY way I'm comfortable waiting is if we have 100% decided that who we want is still playing.