Revis Debacle Clearly On Woody & Idzik

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I think this was WJ basically trying to tell the fan base: blame Idzik for not getting Revis.

Whether the fans believe him or not, I don't know.

But Idzik did not seem to care about Tanny era CBs, or really any decent or good ones. He thought Patterson was better than Cro. He is the ultimate slow negotiator, and maybe he feared Revis, where he would not have the upper hand. Maybe he also figured that Rex would be blamed for the team's failure, not him, and so he was willing to risk tanking the team if it meant getting to see what Milliner and McDougle could do. (As it turns out: get injured.)

Revis mainly cares about money, but he also enjoys winning and recognition. He may just go to another contender next year, if the Patriots won't pay him as much as another contender.

I think he likes Rex more than the Jets, and he might go to Chicago or Atlanta if Rex becomes their new HC. I'm not sure what he would want with a Rex-less Jets organization that is rebuilding- why would he waste what could be one of his last elite years on a non-contender? We would have to win a bidding war. We have the cap space to do it, but I'm not sure if we should invest so heavily in a short term solution when we're rebuilding.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

take Revis out of foxboro, put him on the Jets, and you can make a damn good case we sweep the Pats.
    that type of progress would get GM of the Year consideration.

instead, your boy Idzik gets to watch the Pats in a great position to compete for a Super Bowl, along with the rest of us.

it was worth a call.
    and this isn't 20/20 hindsight. i was screaming for it this offseason on this board. would've been a coup move.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Highly doubt revis would have signed here on that deal and secondly if he did he would be a FA this offseason and we would be sitting outside of the playoffs anyways. Then what? same spot, worse draft pick.

4. BacktoQueens

if you make the best offer, Revis will follow.
    throw in his best fit has been with Rex's defense, it wasn't a long shot by any means.

could've signed for the same, or could've agreed to a multi year deal which made more sense for us.
    we'll never know.
    it was worth finding out for a player of that impact.

5. displacedfan

Okay so we signed revis to top CB salary for 3-5 years. How do we improve the team this offseason? At the point the jets were at, they needed Revis cheap. We all know thats not happening. Oh and if a CB were to sign for higher money anytime during those 3-5 years, hold out.

6. BacktoQueens

why did they need him cheap?
    that 12M-13M range would be perfect imo..

7. displacedfan

Because having a 12-13 million dollar corner would make it harder to build. Because in my opinion that corner doesn't turn us into a playoff team this year and that corner would eat away at our ability to improve this year.

The Jets just aren't in the same position as Denver or new England or New Orleans where they are very close to fielding a SB team and thought they needed one or two pieces so they go out and throw money at it.

Revis is an awesome played and I wish he was here. I just don't think the jets benefit enoguh from having him until they fix their other problems. And by having revis it becomes a bit difficult to fix those other problems. If the jets were closer or I believed in Geno I think it would have been fine getting that large contract.

8. BacktoQueens

having an expensive CB affects our ability to improve? a good corner is exactly where we NEED to improve.
    i fully expect us to bid on the top FA corners this offseason, and a guy like Maxwell is no where near the player Revis is.
    we won't spend quite as much on Maxwell, but we also wont get near the same return as Revis in 2014 would've yielded.

just looking at the 2014 numbers...
    Sign Revis around 12.5 per on a 3 year deal for arguments sake.
    Don't sign Patterson, put that 1M guaranteed we blew on him back in our account.
    Don't trade for Harvin out of mid season desperation. Put that 6.5M back in our account.

Much better team, only cost 5M more in 2014.
    Now we head into 2015, still have a shitload of cap room (approx 35M?), and CB is no longer a priority.
    We focus on offensive line, finding a vet QB, and some low to mid cost vets to build out our depth.
    much better outlook for 2015, while also having made valuable progress in 2014. instead we are starting over from scratch.

9. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

You're getting riled up over literally nothing. Woody doesn't even understand what the parameters of the contract Revis signed are ... and he demonstrated his ignorance by throwing out the number $7.5 million - which ignores the $5 million in signing money. Essentially, Woody is dumb enough to publicly state he thinks Revis is making 60% of what he's actually making.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Because defense was the issue both times we played the Pats this year...

JetBlue likes this.
  11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lets' move on. He'll be available before his career is over, and maybe Revis will be in Green and White again.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Wait! What ?!? The GM and owner are responsible for not signing a player? Fuck, all this time I thought it was Susie from concession stand 13 in the east wing's fault. I owe her can apology.

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter anymore,Revis is a Patriot and without Rex as coach I see zero reason why Revis would want to come back after the way we treated him last offseason

14. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

I wrote yesterday "who is the boss here?" That quote from Woody still baffles me. If a guy you want is available, tell your GM to see if a deal can be worked out. The fact that Idzik didn't want to talk to Team Revis is inexcusable. Why? The Jets might overpay for a guy who they know is one of the best at his position? It's Woody who needs to read from the Book of Steinbrenner and begin acting like a sports team owner. If you are not up to the task, go sell your floor polish an get out of the NFL!

15. BacktoQueens

we struggled in the secondary, especially in the first meeting.
    doubling their TOP, yet still losing, shows how quickly Brady was able to strike on us.

and take Revis off the Pats, also has a positive effect on our offense in those games.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Would Revis have been on that bomb to Vereen in the first game? Because that was the game-changer. Also, Decker ate Revis up in that game.

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Woody's first presser announcing the firing of Rex and Idzik and ten minutes into it he tampers with another teams player. The Jets could lose a draft pick because of it. Now he says he wanted Revis back. After the fact. First time I've ever heard that.

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Of course it's the first you heard of it. Why does that surprise you? Do you know Woody? Do you have daily conversations with him that you would have expected him to have brought up wanting revis back during? Do you have "what Woody wants" Mel Gibson type powers that you know his every thought?

19. BacktoQueens

Decker 'ate up Revis' that game?
    lmao. you don't even believe that.

The Vereen play was huge, but wasn't the only play of the game.
    Brady threw for 3 TD's, and was only sacked once. Revis would have had an impact for our defense, and for our offense.

it's not a slam dunk swapping Revis would equal a Jets sweep. game plans would be different, anything could happen.
    but you can make a strong case, as i originally indicated.
    to completely dismiss the notion is foolish.

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Because Idzik took the heat for the non signing, Plus the story we heard for years was that Woody didn't want to deal with Revis's agents after his holdouts. And he basically confirmed it yesterday. And the obvious support Woody gave to Idzik when they traded him. So for Woody to say he wanted to sign Revis- for the 12 mil that Kraft is paying him- came out of left field. If it's the case why didn't Woody just tell Idzik to open up communication with Revis.