Geno's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I think the issue is that he's shown enough in the games he's been effective that I think he can become more consistent. But, yeah, it's the stupid stuff like the fumble today that he has to learn how to avoid.

The guy clearly has the talent to be effective. He is very immature though and that is something that he may never change.

2. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think anyone is sold on him as the guy yet, but he has sorta quietly put together a year that does show marked improvement. He does make stupid decisions, but I wonder if he could put up points as you say if he was playing in a more passing oriented offense. One where the coaches would just let him loose, like they did with Testaverde back in the day, instead of controlling him so tightly. Right now it's just ridiculous, one of the reasons we can never score in the end zone, is because instead of designing passing plays with Amaro, Sudfield, Cumberland, CJ, Decker, etc, they run the ball into the defense or come up with crazy gimmicky stuff that never works.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He works hard so hopefully the combination of his talents and experience will somehow help him out it together.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He did improve but consistency is the key. But even at times the play calling is questionable, but it's still no excuse.

5. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

His future is the bench.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  6. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

It's the same story with Geno. Horrible year and then shows up the last 4 games to make you question whether he can be the guy.

Well guess what...he's not. We already know that...with good matchups, he is able to succeed like today.

Dolphins had no pass rush and a weak secondary. ANY QB can look like that when they have all day in the pocket and competent receivers. I've seen enough dumb rookie mistakes in his sophomore year such as his stupid stiff arm fumble today to realize that he hasn't grown.

He stinks. We know what he is. End of story.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  7. dannymac910

dannymac910 Member

Let's sign matt Flynn, dude threw 6 TDs in a game!

8. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

you cant really count buffalo #2, he came in at the really end after the game was lost. I remember he made really costly mistakes for Green Bay, Chicago, and Detroit. And when he is bad, we are talking about some of the worst performances by any qb in the nfl...

also I have no idea where you get the idea of having an 80 qb rating is really good, the average qb rating of the league this year is around 89 (Joe Flacco is the 16th rated). Geno's average for the season is a 70.9, 2nd to last and I dont even want to know what it'll look like if it wasnt for today's game which was pretty meaningless and where he had no pressure to win. by the way the lowest qb rating this year is josh McCown at 70.5. By qb rating Geno would've been darn close to the worst qb in the league this year. Also out of those "good" and average games he played, we won 2 of them, one against Oakland and the other with Miami.

basically qb rating is totally against Geno. and he also doesnt have the wins to prove that hes the future of the team, in fact its against him. His best games are basically games that don't matter

9. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Well, I counted the first Buffalo game against him, where he played a few snaps and got a zero rating. If he wasn't pulled in that one, his rating would've probably gone up from zero. Also, he played a pretty good game against Green Bay. The interception in that one wasn't really on him, Winters let a pass rusher run up the middle and hit Geno in mid-throw, causing the interception.

You are right. I looked up some QB stats, and 80 is too low, good would be more like 90 or more at least. But with that said, most of Geno's 80+ games I mentioned were either above 90 (Oakland, Miami) or really close to it in the high 80s (NE, Minnesota, Tennessee, Buffalo), so there isn't a huge amount of difference.

I gotta disagree with this. He had some nice games that mattered, I thought he was really solid in the Oakland game and in the Green Bay game to begin our season. He looked like a legit franchise QB in the first half of the GB game when we dominated them, then came the bad interception that was more on Winters. He was also pretty good in the first NE game, when it still mattered. And even after our playoff chances were gone, you can argue that the games still mattered to him because he is trying to prove that he belongs in the NFL.

10. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I was just hoping you'd more clearly state your point so I could argue it. I honestly could not understand what you were trying to say.

Right now, it's hard to make a read on Geno. He was absolutely lights out yesterday, but this fooled us last year too and screwed us at our chance for Bridgewater.

I still believe he can be a legitimate NFL starter. He came in raw and was forced into action, but he is definitely very talented. He's a pocket guy with great mobility. The offense seemed to run beret with him than with Vick, but stalls in the red zone much too often.

With that said, he has not shown us anything with betting the farm on him. He would come into camp with STRONG competition. If he wins, he should be the starter. If he doesn't, we move on. Simple.

11. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

Geno is trash, he'll never be a good quarterback, there's not enough in his head to do it. Sanchez is the same way and will always be a backup,
    but Geno is not even good enough to be a backup.

12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Geno should be kept on the roster and the new HC should monitor his progress. If he continues to improve and build off his latest stretch of games maybe you give him another shot if the new guy starts to struggle or whatever.

Either way the Jets should be looking to address the QB situation by bringing in a starter not currently on the roster

13. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

He should be back next season because he is on his rookie contract. Hopefully the Jets sign a veteran QB and draft a QB this year. Then the team can have a legit open competition to determine who gets what role.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  14. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

geno is what geno is -- a below avg qb that will continue to make the same mistakes he has been making for two years and a guy that in unable to execute in the red zone ... complete freeze up.

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Has he really ever been given that opportunity?
    It seems MM red zone play calling did everything but give him a chance to execute in the red zone.

16. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Should be up to the new staff. He was horribly disadvantaged having Rex as coach. Yesterday was first time the offense was just allowed to play and he responded

17. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Not one who makes a thread for every little article so I found this to be a good place to put this.. Take it how you want smoke screen or not..

18. skoobz2001

skoobz2001 Active Member

They might try START the year with Geno and see how it goes, but that doesn't mean we don't take Mariota if he's there at 6 (and sign a vet QB). New GM/new coach aren't going to hang their reputations on Geno Smith.

19. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Might not have a choice. Not a guarantee to draft one and the FA's are horrible.

20. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I just saw Cimini's blog post mention Geno's hand size of 9 1/8". That is tiny compared to other NFL QBs. No wonder he can't hang on to the ball.

Aaron Rodgers' hands are at 10 1/8", a full inch difference.