The Coach and GM is now available...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by milcus, Dec 28, 2014.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Why would we even want a guy who obvious only motive is money,He could give two shits about turning this franchise around and is running back to the college level for a pay day. I can't say I blame him but he isn't right for this franchise

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He isn't worth that much ,I lost a lot of respect for him watching him run out the door to run back to the college level to take the money

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He was thrown out. This is obvious. I'm just surprised he's going to the place where the pressure will be greatest. He'd have had a year in Oakland to get things sorted out. He won't have that in Ann Arbor.

4. Heavy Metal Thunder

Is it possible he's visiting Michigan first and feigning interest to drive his price up for NFL suitors?

5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Nope. Done deal.

6. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Actually, Harbaugh is talking to the Raiders tomorrow. Hmmmmm.

7. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

If he goes to Michigan I think the recruiting will sort itself out. He's got the NFL name and winning record. That will draw a lot of kids.

8. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

What has Urban Meyer done for OSU recruiting? They aren't getting anyone that Alabama or the other SEC teams want. They are just the best team in a weak Big 10 (for proof, watch how badly they get destroyed by a real team in a couple of days).

I just don't think in 2015, Michigan has any appeal to a kid that can go to Alabama, FSU, Texas, USC, ND or Oregon, along with the other elite schools (I know Oregon isn't there yet, but they are getting there). It's why I think Les Miles keeps saying no to Michigan. At LSU he can get kids like Fournette. At Michigan, he would never have gotten Fournette and Harbaugh doesn't change that.

9. Br4d

Michigan still has the upper Midwest advantage and that region draws a lot of talent. The only school in the country that has better drawing power than Michigan in the upper Midwest is Notre Dame. OSU is about the same but draws from further east. JJ Watt played for Wisconsin, another upper Midwest school.

When Michigan is strong the Big Ten is as good as any conference in the country. When Michigan is mediocre it is not. That's kind of the history of college football extending into the modern era. Recently Michigan has been mediocre. OSU and whoever else is hot at the moment isn't enough to keep the Big Ten competitive with the other power conferences.

If you get a great builder in there to compete with OSU the Big Ten will rise again and it will rise fast. It wasn't so long ago that Michigan and OSU were top 10 threats every year, joined by Wisconsin, Iowa and Purdue periodically. Since then the conference has added Penn State and Nebraska. It's just a matter of time until the mix recreates that situation.

10. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

There are only 2 head coaching candidates I want(minus harbaugh since he is def going to Michigan)....hue Jackson and Todd Bowles...both have shown they are one of the best at their positions. Jackson has made andy dalton look pretty decent and Todd Bowles clearly knows defense since he's working with one of the most banged up defenses in the NFL. I'd say hue Jackson over Bowles just because we need offensive minds in our organization.

11. Br4d

Why not look for a strong coach who can actually build things? That seems to be the direction the NFL is going at this point. I dread a GM/coach pairing in which neither guy is known as a builder of teams. That's what we had with Herm/Bradway, Mangini/Tannenbaum and now Rex/Idzik. There's not a name in those 6 that had a proven record of building teams.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The midwest doesn't have staying power though... the Big Ten and Michigan being down the last few years isn't just out of the ordinary down years - it's what the conference will look like into the future. The only teams with staying power, and therefore the best jobs, in that conference is Ohio St. & Penn St. Because their states play comparable high school football to the South.

Everyone else has the disadvantage of having to recruit primarily out of state. And if a player is going to go out of state, why would they choose Michigan/Wisconsin/Nebraska/Purdue/Iowa... etc.. over any of the SEC schools, Florida St, Miami, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, even Oregon, etc.... The Big Ten will decline. Michigan has the future of being an average midwest Big 10 team, with the occasional good season.. it's not the powerhouse of yesteryear or even should be considered a perennial contender.

If I was Harbaugh I wouldn't take it. Unreal expectations at Michigan and having to compete directly with an Urban Meyer who is not only a good college but holds a significant advantage in available talent. Not to mention the alumni base there is annoying..

I'd stay in the NFL where rules dictate an even, watered down playing field and he wouldn't have to worry about recruit, compliance, donor luncheons and all that crap. Oakland and the Jets would be good destinations for him because they both would be generous with the amount of power they give him and both play in a division where powerhouse teams/QBs like New England & Denver, won't be around in a few years.

13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I can't see knocking Harbaugh if he takes the UMich job. It's one of the top jobs in all of football. Plus what's wrong with taking 8 mil per season. Why should he want to go to the Jets for 4.

14. Br4d

Well, one of the reasons people might choose Michigan is that it is one of the top universities in the country in terms of actually educating players. There's a reason strong offensive linemen come out of Michigan on a regular basis. They go there both to play and to get a great education.

15. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Why do people have such a hard on for this guy? So he lost a SB, right? Well RR lost two AFC CGs, so this puts Harb one win better than Rex. As for me, I'll wait for a SB WINNER before I consider kneeling down and prostrating myself for their services or selling my soul to some underworld monstrosity.

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Maybe because his nfl record is 49-19 and has been to a Super Bowl and has missed the NFC Championship one time in his career, this year.

Axel3419 likes this.
  17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Just announced -- Done Deal - Harbaugh in Ann Arbor

18. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

The problem with this wish is that most individuals with a proven record of building teams either have a job or are retired. For example, I'm pretty sure every single GM in the league right now is a GM for the first time. Which premier team builders are looking for jobs right now?

19. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

All those General Studies majors.

20. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Schefter said the Jets have contacted Harbaugh to gauge interest. Could mean nothing, but atleast they are knocking on doors and not assuming.