Woody Johnson is preparing to hire former GM Charley Casserly as a consultant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Dec 22, 2014.

1. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

i like the fact that we are getting some very experienced football minds to help us consult on the next hiring, i really do love rex as a coach but i think its very unrealistic to expect him to keep his job as last year he just held on to it and this year has been abysmal in comparison. I think idzik has made good cap moves but missing out on that number 1 corner during a free agency ABSOLUTELY STACKED with great corners was a big miss on his part. If Rex gets fired my top candidates would be Harbaugh, Brian Kelly or Pep Hamilton. If idzik gets fired I would like DeCastro but doubt he would leave baltimore and more realistically would really like Tom Gamble; the guy we almost hired a couple years ago. What I think is the most likely of this bunch is Brian Kelly and Tom Gamble, which honestly I think would be a really good pairing. Im just imagining these guys at the combine and in the draft room and they just look like they have their shit together.

2. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Your explanation--or really, freedictionary.com's explanation--really added very little clarity to your assertion. what, exactly, is this commonly shared theme or trait? It's ok to be descriptive...

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Ok, I feel better knowing Wolf is involved to help find the successors. He's one of the most respected minds in the business and built that Packer powerhouse in the 90's. Finally a decent hire by Woody. This is getting interesting now.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

no one has been hired yet.

6. grumpynyjetsfaninME

If Idizk gets fired.. I see rex around one.more year.. or at least untill week 6..

7. JetsNation06

I'm foreshadowing...at this point it's all we got.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Do you really think Woody is stupid enough to force an HC on an incoming GM AGAIN? Cmon man...

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Still rooting for Tom Gamble...

10. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Its Cman man on your case :)

11. JetsNation06

Could very well happpen if Wolf gets involved. I agree that Gamble would be a very good GM hire and the majority of his background is heavy on player personnel.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Then if he does not agree with Woodrow, he can call him a FO homer.

13. grumpynyjetsfaninME

at least untill week 6..he gave rex nothing to work with. if a new gm brings in a cb or 2..and rex goes 2-3..good bye.. marty should go before rex does..

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

rex ryan is the shared theme.
    6 years of rex and no offensive players to show from the draft and only a handful of defensive players. thats with 2 g.m.'s and 3 o.c.'s
    i don't know how to make it any plainer.
    idzic might be gone and we may end up better for it. but there is a good chance we maybe throwing out the baby with the bath water

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You know what they say. Too many cooks spoil the broth. Woody seems pretty confused. And he is repugnant to the negative media attention. In other words just trying to save his face. Either back up your GM or fire him. You don't need a group of "experts" to do that.

16. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Heard Peter King say yesterday that Wolf and Polian have both declined. Wolf because of his role on the NFL advisory committee and Polian because of his position on ESPN.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

More and more people keep coming out saying that they support Rex and the problem was the players that he had to work with. I honestly would not be shocked if there was a GM candidate out there that wanted to retain Rex knowing that they can give him what he needs.

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

A brain and a 10 year course on what an offense looks like in the NFL?

JetsNation06 and Red Menace like this.
  19. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

What you haven't made any plainer is how Rex Ryan is responsible for drafting anyone. He's the Head Coach. Drafting and otherwise obtaining players is the responsibility of the General Manager(s). Yeah, any head coach might be in the ear of the General Manager, but in the end the GM should have the bigger vision for the team because, ultimately, the GM is the supervisor of the head coach.

Moreover, when you look at THIS YEAR's offseason, we don't see a lot of what you might think is influence from Rex Ryan. We KNOW (or strongly think) that Rex Ryan loves CBs. So, it's hard to fathom that he said "let all the GOOD corners sign with other teams. and, please, waste THREE draft picks on WRs who will never actually contribute anything positive before they are cut." And in previous Tannenbaum draft, Rex Ryan even flat-out stated that Stephen Hill was "not his guy".

Absolving the GMs of significant responsibility in the lack of talent on the Jets because there was the same head coach during their tenure makes it appear as if you have little clue as to what the roles and responsibilities of each position are. As far as throwing out the baby with the bathwater is concerned: your baby is Ugly and has shit all over the carpet.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He already has the first and the second isn't required. What's required is talent. Idzik starte giving it to him but unfortunately not at the most important position.