Rex Ryan to the Giants?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Geno007, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I won't go that far...many Head coaches have gone back to being OC/DC..

aorn In his career, he's still a great DC... Look at the rankings and with the lack of talent.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If the reports are true he has already told people its TV or Head Coach,Apparently there are offers on the table between 3-5mill for him to join someones broadcast,so why would he take under 1mill to be a DC?

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan will be the new head coach of the Falcons.

That team has a offense but is clueless in defense. That owner also would go after a Rex to bring life into that team...Not to mention, Rex has ties with Clemson which isn't too far

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That article about Rex's prospects is hilarious. Shit Cannizaro, at least research Ryan's history with the Jets before you put out some drivel like that. He says the Raiders may be a candidate for Ryan since they have a young promising QB in Carr. The reason Ryan is done here is largely due to his inability to be able to develop young QB's. Umm Helloooo!!! Noone is hiring Ryan for his QB mentoring. They'd hire him in spite of his offensive knowledge shortcomings. He's by far one of the worst when it comes to anything offense related and that will be a huge red flag for teams wanting to bring him in.

The Giants may hire Rex as a hot air balloon. Yet the Giants are too classy of a franchise to ever want a buffoon like Ryan as a HC. They already have a HC with multiple SB rings.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

That's what I think as well,that team has a ready made offense and is a perfect fit

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

stop w/ the class nonsense, the giants are fake class and read the article. it was discussing him being a DC under Coughlin not as HC.

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I know it ruffles you a bit when I mention franchises like the Niners and Giants and how classy they are. I'm just stating what's well known in most league circles. I didn't realize he was mentioning Rex as DC under Coughlin. If that's the case then that would be a good move for Rex. He'd probably want $2-$3M a year to be a high powered DC.

Rex's best move is DC or TV at this point. He'll only further tarnish his reputation if he tries to be a HC again.

8. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

Mara and Tisch would never put up with him. It will never, EVER happen. Coughlin wouldn't put up with his ass either.

9. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Rex Ryan would be a huge upgrade over Perry Fewell. My guess is Rex interviews and gets one of the HC spots this offseason or takes the year off and works for CBS or ESPN.
    Taking a DC position gives him the best chance at improving his resume to get the top of the line jobs when they open up and the Giants would be a good fit but maybe a little awkward for Rex and Jets fans.
    Rex isn't going to be out of work for very long and I wish him success wherever he goes unless its the Dolphins.

10. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

If Rex were let go after last season, I think he would have had a legitimate shot to get another HC gig right away. But, I think this season is really going to hurt him. How many head coaches without a ring get hired after finishing their last season at 3-13/4-12? How many head coaches without a ring get hired after 4 straight non-playoff years?

The best example of a head coach being hired immediately following a disastrous year (that I can think of) is Rich Kotite being hired by the Jets (Of course, lol) after losing his last 7 games as the Eagle head coach to finish at 7-9 in 1994.

The best thing Rex has going for him is his four playoff wins, but overall, I think people drastically overrate his merits as a head coach. He has a losing record, overall. He has missed the playoffs four straight seasons (and 4 out of 6 overall). He will be coming off of a 3-4 win campaign, easily the worst season this franchise has had since 2007. I just don't see him being anywhere near as attractive as a lot of his fanboys seem to think he will be. Add to all of that the continuous flow of empty words and delusional comments, and you have a guy who just doesn't seem particularly worth it to me.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I dont think he is taking a DC job again. I'm sure he'll have options outside of coaching on the sidelines.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Well there is a black sheep in every family and I will tell you once and for all that I would never say we should have kept Rex.

Based on what I have seen in the past 6 years from this man, good riddance.

13. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I think I heard it on the Michael Kay show during an interview with Rex that ESPN supposedly has a $4mm per offer for him if he gets fired. If so I agree he heads to TV to recharge his coaching batteries. It would not surprise me at all if he turns into the next John Madden, he's very charismatic much more so than the current talking heads.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I think Jay Cutler is pretty solid. He's not great, but he is good enough not to screw it up if he's on a good team. Matt Ryan is a bit better than Jay Cutler.

Rex could be very good with a decent QB, he doesn't need an amazing one. I think he would love to coach the Bears because of his father's history there, especially the '85 Bears. Rex is an emotional guy and I think he would love to do that for his dad, take over the team 30 years after his dad was their DC and won them a Super Bowl with what many consider the greatest defense of all time.

I actually think the Bears are an excellent fit for Rex, but the Falcons would work too. Not so sure about the Dolphins being a good fit since Tannehill is a below-average QB.

15. greenlantern

greenlantern Member

please no!!!!

16. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Listening to the radio shows here in Atlanta would be hilarious if he became the next head coach. The Falcon fans would love him to be the DC but don't want him as HC.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Rex would walk on water in Chitown. The Ryan legacy is alive and well. Not quite at the Ditka level but alive and well none the less. Bring in and install the GnP thereby limiting Cutler's throws, riding Matt Forte to the tune of 25-30 carries a game, using Marshall and Jeffrey as field stretchers.. Absolutely a great fit in the Windy City.

18. jack handy

jack handy Member

As a fan would you want your team to hire Rex to be the new HC? This board would go nuts if the Jets introduced a retread with a losing record as the next person leading the franchise. Maybe after he spends some time as a coord.

19. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Waitasekent. Waitasekent heah. Rex to da Giants? Awr you just lawst, I mean are you totally totally lawst. You must be out in nevah nevah land if you think the Giants will hire Rex

Which is exactly why I hope it happens

sackexchange likes this.
  20. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

This thread is depressing - it reminds me that Rex is going to take some other team, not us, to the Super Bowl. :(