2-3.. What did you guys expect?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsIn2004, Oct 9, 2006.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

OH...man Tony..I was a huge fan of that pick...he was my avatar for a year and half.

Agreed...the funny thing about him is that there are flashes..and as time goes by he is your typical player that doesnt live up to the hype..but finds his niche in about 2 or 3 years that will make him an important player for a team. He does have speed..you see that when he busts through.

On the proper team with the righ talent..he will be useful. Just not nearly at the money hes making..and not how much we gave up to get him.

2. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

You just keep looking at the stat sheet. I haven't seen him make a single play this season. Actually, I haven't seen him make a big play once in his entire career. He is the very definition of a non-factor. You concede that he's below average ... that's your attempt at defending him?

3. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I had this one marked down as a lose on my jets schedule that i chart before the season starts . so far im perfect ,i had us at 2-3 at this point and going on to win out before the break to finish at 5-3 before the bye week!

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He looked good for awhile in 04 when he had a healthy Ferguson next to him. Ferguson did much of the dirty work on the 04 team which allowed D'Rob to flash and make plays. He just isn't built for the kind of trench warfare that our D needs.

5. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Here's a monkey wrench: They fix the D and build a solid OL and we have a guy that can run...maybe 2 years from now. That's just about the time they're going to move on Clemens, if at all. So we fill all the holes in the ship and give it a rookie captain.

I stand by my original assessment...they should have started Clemens this year. NObody expected anything. It was the perfect time to get him used to getting killed.

6. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Dissapointed, but not surprised...

As I watched the Brunell pass to Santana Moss in overtime last week, I just knew that the Jets were in for a brutal beating in Jacksonville this week. The Jags are a very good team - playoff team - coming off a tough loss - coming home to face an inexperienced team.

Sure Pennington had his worst outing of the year. The defense was awful. Is anyone surprised? When picking this game I told LV Coach - Jets will get blown out this week.

This is the first game the team showed no progress. Hey, it happens once or twice to all growing teams. They stare down the howitzer at an angry gunman, and the Jets got shot down. They had no chance - that's just the way it is.

This is one of those weeks you burn the game tapes, and look ahead...

7. mem_reddog

mem_reddog New Member

There is no silver lining, this was a humiliating loss. Our defense gets worse every week, instead of seeing improvement. If there was improvement from week to week then it would make me feel somewhat better, but there is absolutely none. Changes to the defensive scheme have to happen, because it is very easy to see that the personnel that we have on defense are unable to perform in the current scheme.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I left Thomas out on purpose because as you say there's just nothing to be said about him. I was kind of wondering if anybody would notice.

9. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

The plan might be to bring him in at midseason. Or maybe next year. i don't know, Penny should have about 4 years left though, counting this year. That'd be 4 years of Clemens being on the bench, and that's a bit much. I don't know if Clemens will ever be a starter for the Jets. If he doesn't start by the middle of next season, I don't think he ever will.

I don't think the timing would be that bad. Clemens really would only need a season or two, especially if they're coaching him up now, which I'm sure they are. Look at Rivers in SD, if a QB has the right players around him, he can be brought along within a season.

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

It all teeters on a fine line. Do you really think Chad will go 4 years in a row without any serious injury? I am not wishing it on him, mind you. I hope he does great for 4 years, but given history, that is not realistic. Clemens will get his chance. He will have to make the most of it.

11. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Yeah 4 years would be a bit much to sit. NObody really expected a win this year. I'd just hate to get all the pieces compiled and then be forced to put him out there for one reason or another. If he's as good as everyone thinks, a lot of those late game plays Chad couldn't handle, would have been theoretically completed. He has the arm. Does he have the brains is the question.

12. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

2 DL
    3 LBs
    6 DBs

Could work.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

As far as Robertson goes, if Tannenbaum learns one thing and one thing only in his career, it should be that you NEVER bundle two 1st-round picks to move up unless it's something really, REALLY exceptional. We put all our eggs in one basket and this basket turned out to be a bucket of shit.

As far as the title to the thread "What did you expect," while I did expect 2-3, I don't expect this team to fold "like a lawn chair," the expression Ray Lucas so disrespectfully but accurately used last night. I expect this team to show progress, not decline. I expect this team to experience growing pains but I'd still like to see them stay in the game, even if they lose. Yeah, we're in rebuild, but the most discouraging thing about last night's game (besides the score) is that I don't even know where to start. There appear to be more things in need of fixing than we had in Week One.

Sure, Washington appears to be demonstrating talent. Cotchery is making progress. But we were awful on so many fronts as a unit, the game disgusted me. The game glaringly exposed us as a team still in complete disarray. It left me with the feeling that we're moving backwards instead of progressing. The infusion of stop-gaps like Barlow are pointless. Tangini needs to stop wasting future draft picks trading for anyone else to temporarily shore things up. We should have ran with the RB talent we had and left it at that.

I'm so pissed I can't see straight. And Coles needs to STFU.

14. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I did not expect that bad of and ass kicking, but it is a loss. Have to move on, there are no style points.

I will say one thing. I expected Vilma to be better.

15. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I was traveling and missed the entire game. I recorded it but just deleted it. I've seen enough in my lifetime, why subject myself to that? There wasn't even a FG to fast forward to and revel in, like the 1986 Miami game. Oh well, we beat Miami this week and we're 3-3.

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we have 90% of th guys from 2 years ago's D that took us w/in a makebale kick of the AFC Title Game.

17. nyjunc

We are running the wrong scheme, we had basically the same players 2 years ago(the only difference is Ferguson was at one of the DTs and Tongue and D. Abe were in the defensive backfield- we downgraded at DL but upgraded in the secondary).

18. nyjunc

Actually it was the other waya round, DRob did most of the dirty work and amde Ferg alot of money. Ferg was subpar for a few years then DRob was excellent in '04 commanding double and triple teams and allowing the other DL to roam freer.

19. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Doesn't matter what they did two years ago...they're playing like shit now. Besides, that D in 2004 sure played like shit last year too, with mostly the same players.

20. nyjunc

Last year we had a ton of inuries including losing our best defensive player from '04(Barton) early in the year.

They proved 2 years ago they could play well in big games, we suck now mainly b/c they took 4-3 personnel and are married to thsi 3-4 system instead of adpating to the talent we had. We have ALOT of defensive talent and alot of young defensive talent- it's being misused. Hopefully like we learned the first halves of '01 and '02 when we similarly misused our talent they'll adjust and we'll be alot better the 2nd half.