Bye bye QB in the draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Umphpool, Dec 14, 2014.

1. M00ndawg

M00ndawg Member

Agreed! This franchise doesn't have the slightest clue on how and who to draft... How do we mess up on the likes of milliner, Vernon, and Sanchez? All within the last 7 years...All drafted in the top 10.... Who the hell gave the guys top grades to be rated so high on our board?

2. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

For the record

I've always Winston over Mariota anyway so that's not the heartbreaking part lol, picking sixth outside of the being able to get Jameis or Cooper now is

3. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

mariota is not a sure thing, but what thing in this league is a sure thing?

we know whats not a short thing, and thats geno being the qb. and we also know a sure thing, the jets are a mess right now. what kind of fa would want to come here to better their careers? careers come here to die, therefore its easiest to get something through the draft.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are the one that needs to comprehend something beyond idiocy. NE just drafted another QB in the second round that will eventually become the next BRADY....simply because they know what they are doing and how to draft. At all rounds. Not like idiots loosers that want to tank for a draft pick....dipshit.

#204 LAJet, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The path to improving the team begins at the top. If Woody Johnson continues to allow the three ring circus of Idzik, Bradway, and Glat to run the talent evaluation show then things will never improve. The Jets are already 0-2 in the past few years at throwing a QB at the problem and expecting the rest to simply fall into place.

The team needs to get the right players, as opposed to a QB who has high fan opinion right now. If the Jets end up with 6th pick, miss Mariotta, but through draft circumstances end up with their #4 rated guy, then they will have come away with the victory. The right QB has to be the right guy at the right time, and Mariotta may not end up being that for us.

Not ideal, however when you can trust your leadership to work through bad situations, then generally the organization as a whole can profit and ascend.

Tl;dr don't worry about the draft pick, but rather the person making the pick.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If we win out we could conceivably draft 8th overall. New Orleans and Chicago play tomorrow so one of them will have a better record than the Jets can possibly achieve, even if they tie, in which case both will. If New Orleans loses tomorrow the winner of Atlanta/New Orleans next week will eliminate themselves from the draft in front of the Jets sweepstakes. With two losses the Giants would draft in front of the Jets if they both finish 5-11.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Considering the fall is potentially only two spots, I would take both of those wins in a flash.

TwoHeadedMonster and Br4d like this.
  8. Br4d

It would be the same people whining about losing draft position whining about losing on a bonehead play instead.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. Br4d

Oh yeah, knocking the Pats out of homefield and the Fins out of the playoffs would be worth more than any possible 6th to 8th pick gain.

10. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Such a crushing win. The cost of it cannot be calculated yet but one has to assume Cooper and Mariota are now gone as options and if you like Winston he is probably gone too. Just a devastating blow for a franchise that needed good fortune for once. This is a dark day to be a Jet fan, even darker than usual.

I hope people are getting ready for year 3 of Geno because what other option will there be?

TNJet likes this.
  11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

We never had a chance to get him. TB is playing to lose, had their opportunities against Carolina.

12. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Still two games left. I think Mariota is out of our range (it was even before this game), but I think Cooper and Winston are still in play.

13. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Not with this FO.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

The forgotten man may possibly be Connor Cook. I am not that big of a fan of his but if he tears up Bryce Petty and the Baylor Bears, I think his stock may just be too ridiculously high for him to return for another season at Michigan State.

I am fine with Cook.....as long as he sits for 3/4 of the year, if not the full year and if Jets fans show some actual..........................patience. If Cooper/Mariota are off the board, I would not mind Cook.

15. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Winston's TD/INT ratio got horrible this year. Went from 40/10 to something like 24/17. He regressed massively and in my view is not worth an early first round pick. He would be there when the Jets draft, and I think it would be a mistake to invest 2 - 3 years in another very inconsistent QB.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. Jets4eva9011

A lot of his interceptions have been cause of mis-communication, and him trying to do too much. Keep in mind, Winston has some new players on offense this season, which has contributed to a higher INT rate.

I would still take easily Winston if he fell to us. He's going to be a better pro QB than Mariota in my opinion.

17. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

How though? I don't see any way we pick better than 5 at this point. Titans-Jags is now irrelevant to us as even the winner we cannot pass based on strength of schedule. Raiders have 2 tough games left and no chance to win either. Bucs getting another win has also become irrelevant to us. Maybe we can pass the Redskins if they manage one more, but 5 is the ceiling. There is no chance Mariota or Cooper would slip to 5, as in 0%. They're too good and QB/WR are HUGE needs of teams that will be picking in front of us.

Winston is more of a wildcard and will really depend on how he does in the college football playoff and how he works out for teams.

Unfortunately, at this point you have to assume none of those guys will be on our team next season. It's depressing for me, at least. I feel like the 6th pick is really no-man's land in this draft. OT maybe? Anyone excited about that?

18. Jets4eva9011

At this point, Tampa Bay and Tenn would go with Mariota and Winston, and Jax would go defense for sure. The only team that could maybe pounce on Cooper would be Oakland.

I definitely think we're still in range for Cooper at the very least.

19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

If we are still at 6 come draft night, I would call Oakland to see what they are thinking then potentially trade up for Cooper if the asking price isn't too drastic.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Compare Dan Marino's stats from his last year at Pitt to his penultimate year at Pitt.