We Lost Our Chance at Mariota Before This Game

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Falco21, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You people keep posting that this win screwed us out of a potential franchise QB.

We lost our chance at him when Tampa Bay lost to Carolina!!!

Tampa Bay owns the first pick of the draft and plays New Orleans and Green Bay to end their season. There is no way they beat either of those teams especially after losing to a Cam Newton less Panthers team.

Stop with the bullshit that we won and lost our chance at a franchise pick. We lost our chance before this game even started!!!

Matty Jets and HardHitta like this.
  2. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I agree.

I do think we're still in play for Jameis and Cooper.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

If we stay at #6, Washington would consider JW.

I think Jax and Oakland will go defense.

4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Thing is, Oakland could use a playmaker like Amari Cooper for Derek Carr.

I do believe Jax will definitely go defense, though. No way they draft a QB high after picking Bortles in the top 5 last year, and going WR after they picked 2-3 good ones last year as well.

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any way the Redskins would take Winston, after RG3 they're going to make sure their next franchise QB is an absolute saint

6. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Mike be for the best. If he's not a 100% lock to be a franchise QB and we burn a high pick on him it could set us back years.

7. floridajet

floridajet Member

Why would we want to draft Kellen Clemmons 2?

8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

No it won't. Rookies are cheap now, even top draft picks. Without the financial commitment, you don't have the playing time commitment either.

9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Sure but it isn't about that, it's about asset-management. If we had the potential to pick up, say, a guaranteed starting or even pro-bowl tackle and pass him up for a QB that doesn't contribute anything that's a bad trade so it sets the team back. If there was an Andrew Luck or something in this draft that's one thing but there isn't. Depending on where we finish and who is available I hope we pick up the best tackle or Amari Cooper. Hell, I wouldn't be against trading back a few spaces and getting the best available tackle and adding some depth. We have a lot of positions that need to be addressed.

We get a game-manager style QB in free agency, improve our O-line, focus heavily on our secondary in draft and FA and hopefully we aren't as shit as we were this year. Where do we get our franchise QB? Damned if I know but I don't believe that we'll be in a position to draft one of the top 2 QBs in the draft and I'm not really sure either of them are franchise guys anyway.

10. MikeSLTJ23

There's no guarantee in the draft. Ever. The QB affects the game 10x as much as any other position, so I think the gamble is worth it every time until you're right.

FJF likes this.
  11. MikeSLTJ23

And it sounds like Scherff is the top rated tackle... After seeing his highlight video, I'd be VERY disappointed with that pick considering the kid must somehow get away with holding on every single play.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

RGIII is a very high quality character guy. He's been injured, that's the problem.

13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I know he's a good guy, but he's been controversial and dividing the locker room, I think they want to steer clear of controversy at the QB position

14. Br4d

That's Dan Snyder blowing up his own locker room for like the millionth time by favoring a star player openly. I'll bet you just about anything that the only thing RGIII has done that is really controversial is to smile at Dan Snyder when he came calling after a loss once too often.

15. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Cooper or a pass rusher. I know defense is dumb but I don't see any reason to take OL at 6.

16. Br4d

LT is always worth a high 1st if you have a great prospect there. LT who will play RT for a few years is not unreasonable either.

Turbocharged23 and deerow84 like this.
  17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Why not just go back to never posting, it would be better than posting completely ridiculous statements.
    It's Clemens not Clemmons and the 2 of them are absolutely nothing alike besides the fact they both played for the Ducks.

MikeSLTJ23 likes this.
  18. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

If you look at what the cowboys have done and even fact that Mangold/brick have been mainstays on our team vs the Gholstons/Sanchez/Kyle Wilson etc, I think that shows how impactful getting a lineman high can be. I haven't looked at stats but I'd bet that they have among the highest hit rates for a position high. Given our recent drafting, I feel risk averse to the point I would take Ronnie Stanley or Peat well before taking a chance on Mariota or Winston if they are on the board.

19. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

The only problem is there aren't any sure-thing LTs worth a top-5 pick this year. Every prospect has question marks, troubling injuries, or projects to a guard rather than a tackle. If we use a top 6 pick on anyone, we have to be sure they will instantly be a starter and will one day replace Brick.

20. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

What are the question marks on Stanley?