Still not gaining ground in chase for #1 pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhySoSerious488, Dec 7, 2014.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

But why? RG3 is physically shot. If you're going to trade draft picks, you might as will trade them for someone who has potential to be a franchise cornerstone. I think those days are long gone for Griffin. I mean sure a change of scenery can help but I just don't think you can physically handle being the type of quarterback he needs to be in order to be successful. He's never just going to be a pocket passer.

2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Looks like Coates is the guy forget Cooper

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Forget Cooper? No. He's better than Coates. If we somehow fall out of the top 5 and take Coates at 8 then its a solid pick. Cooper is top 3 material depending on the draft order.

4. Jetsfansince95

THIS !!

5. Jetsfansince95

Same way Watkins was THE guy :) to me Beckham is the steal of 2014 !

6. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

That means nothing without a QB.

7. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

If we can't get Mariota/Winston early, and Cooper is there, if I was the GM, I'd trade down, hopefully similarly to the Buffalo trade last year for Watkins, and grab an extra first round pick next year or extra high picks this year. Superstar WRs do not translate into NFL success nearly as much as other positions, so if you can get extra high picks, do that, and fill up on OL, CBs, pass rushers.

Axel3419 likes this.
  8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I see it differently.... If the Jets had a #1 WR that would make the entire offense better. Decker would be more effective as a 2, and the running game would have more breathing room.

A QB would be better, but I have strong doubts about Mariotta (not a great thrower) and Winston (interception machine).

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Oh no, we may not get the number one pick!!! No!!!! We just might have to draft our franchise QB after the number one pick where more Super Bowl winning QB's have been drafted.

10. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Well, adding a good/great player at any position will improve your team. But when you take one position, you miss the opportunity to fill other positions, and I think there are more important positions to team success than WRs. This is just from looking at NFL data/history, teams with the best WRs usually suck: Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Josh Gordon, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss for most of his career, Chris Carter. Jerry Rice was one of the very few exceptions and that was a while ago. Having an elite WR just doesn't seem to translate into team success very much. Most teams that win the Superbowl have solid WRs but no the true superstar types. Other positions like QBs and pass rushers for example seem to have a much greater impact on winning.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Can't disagree with any of that. At the end of the day I'd be happy if they added any player that didn't turn out to be a total waste.

12. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

You can generalize about every position. In a passing league, quarterback and offensive line are the most important positions on the field.

13. Voyevoda117

Voyevoda117 Member

Could be wrong, but I'm thinking we pick no earlier than 5th. By then the two best QB prospects have a good chance of being gone. That win over Pitt is prolly gonna come back and bite us in the ass :-/

14. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

We also have a chance at the first overall.

The only way we draft later than the 5th is if we win 2 games or more (against the Titans, Pats and Dolphins). If we just beat the Titans and lose to the Pats and Fins, we'll likely draft 4th or 5th. Remember the Jags and Titans also have to play one another, and the Bucs might beat the Panthers or Saints.

15. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Its very possible that the Denver game doesn't mean a thing to Denver unless they come into the game 1 game ahead of NE. If that last game is meaningless Oak could win it.

The real issues are can Tampa beat either CAR or NO and can JAX beat TENN (assuming the Jets lose to Tenn this week)?

16. Jetsfansince95

Sad how not so long ago we were talking scenarios of winning and losing to make the playoffs... now we're talking about scenarios at getting the first overall pick... what a sad disgrace of an organization

17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I didn't like what I've seen from Mariota. He doesn't set his feet when he throws, he does a jump step. That garbage may work in college but not in the NFL. I'm probably one of the few that thought SF should have kept Smith over Kaepernick. Other than his legs Kaepernick is a below avg QB, borderline back-up. His shelf life isn't long. Unless MM can turn himself into a good pocket passer I think he suffers the same short shelf-life fate that Kaepernick will.

18. Jetsfansince95

MM can't turn anyone into anything

19. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Way better than being in the middle like the last few years. I'd rather have a top pick than be just outside the playoffs.

20. Jetsfansince95

Because our top picks have been studs...