Marcus Mariota says "I'd play my heart out for the Jets"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Nov 25, 2014.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Wasnt really comparing them at all. Just saying that every highly ranked college QB has great games and people overreact to em. No doubt Mariota is a better college QB then Geno was and Im not doubting that he should be a top pick in the draft. He's earned it by what he's accomplished up to this point.

But like I said in previous posts , I think anyone expecting him to be the savior for a bad team is fooling themselves.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Not the savior, but the foundation for a rebuild.

_

Pocket Jet likes this.
  3. irishwhip03

Well I'll say right now if the Jets pick him too much will be expected from day 1.

If it was a guarantee that the front office was going to put together a top oline through free agency and that Harvin's injury problems are a thing of the past then maybe I could get behind the idea of drafting him.

But neither of those things, especially the latter, are guaranteed.

4. JStokes

Oh I'm not in the guarantee game. I just want us to take who I think is the best QB in college football and hope that he's good enough to overcome the shit that this franchise is.

Btw, I don't want him near the field for a year. Except in mop up duty.

_

Pocket Jet likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What is it about Mariota that has him as a potential first overall pick that every other Oregon QB didn't possess? If the system is what makes the QB good, why isn't every Oregon QB on top of every draft board each year one comes out?

I personally believe he will be a very good NFL QB, but I understand the people who have their doubts. I think it says something that despite the system, he's probably regarded as the best QB in draft by a large chunk of the pundits.

6. Voyevoda117

Voyevoda117 Member

This kid is slaughterhouse stomping Oregon St right now *smh*

On one hand I'd LOVE to have Mariota in a Jets Uni, but just not under this current management we have. I get the feeling Rex and Idzik would ruin this kid.

.....and tbh I don't even think Idzik would even have the competence to even draft him if he was sitting there availabe.

7. irishwhip03

I understand that point of view perfectly. In today's NFL you need the QB no doubt.

But to me I think the rest of the team isnt set up for a young QB to succeed on. And I dont trust this regime or any other regime these days to sit a guy that you draft that early.

Because as much as a young QB can benefit from sitting on the bench for a year , today's NFL sets these guys up to succeed from day 1 more so then at any other time in history.

And lets say a veteran QB comes in and starts the season for us next year and we start 0-2. Everyone and their mother would be calling for Mariota and the brass will likely cave to try and save the season.

8. JStokes

I've always advocated signing a vet and keep Vick and keep Geno and Simms so Mariota is way down the depth chart.

Look, you can't become a consistent winner in the NFL without a stud QB so at some point you have to roll the dice and hope like hell either the player can overcome the darkness of the franchise or the franchise FO is changed.

You can't hope to build a team first then slip the star QB into the system because by that point you're a perennial 8-8 team drafting 16 and you'll never get your stud.

Gotta make the pick and as fans hold your breath. I have a feeling he'll be ready sooner rather than later I'm so impressed by him.

_

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Personally I think the team needs to rebuild the O-line before they bring in a young QB, especially in New York with the media spotlight. Yesterdays games moved Marriotta to a clear position as the best QB to draft, but I'm still not sold on him or any of QB's being worth a top 5 pick. The biggest nitpick I have with marcus yesterday was the hurdle, I hate to see players do that mid field, it will get them killed at the NFL level.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

First off, you're nitpicking shit. You're gonna bring up a hurdle he made in the spur of a game moment? Really?

Second, I hate this theory of "rebuilding the offensive line before taking a young QB". This theory is such bullshit. You think Indy made a bad move drafting Luck before fixing their other issues? You're basing your theory on the basis of Mariota starting immediately which is something almost all of us on here are against. You don't pass on a prospect like this to build an offensive line in hopes of finding a QB elsewhere. You just don't pass on this chance. If the Jets fix many of their holes, they are likely gonna find themselves with a 8-8 like season, thus giving them a mid round pick where guys like Mariota don't fall to.

Draft the QB you want at number 4 or 5 and then sit him on the bench. Build the offensive line and put weapons around him and put him in.

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Thats why we need a decent'ish vet with rhino skin to take snaps for a year and let them take the heat off.
    ANY rookie QB coming to Gotham is going to be subject to the same impatient morons expecting them to be the next Namath

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If Ryan Leaf was playing for Washington State we'd have the exact same post here on TGG. Only the names would have changed.

13. JStokes

You realize everyone knew Leaf was a total douchebag?

And from every report ever, Mariota is a class person, driven, extremely intelligent, respectful?

_

Pocket Jet likes this.
  14. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

If you think Mariota is going to be a stud, you don't pass on him because there's not enough talent around him.

15. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with any first round pick we choose as long as Idzick is not the one doing the picking.

16. 1968jetsfan

First of all I said it was a nitpick, you're making that argument, really? that's your basis of attack? Calling something I said was a nitpick at the time and calling it nitpicking? Really? You think so? How original.
    2nd, you may hate that "rebuilding the offensive line bullshit". Deosn't matter how good your QB is he'll fail behind a bad offensive line. You may not like it, you may not agree, but show me a team that can win without protecting their QB?

The Jets aren't going 8-8 next year unless they get very active in the free agent market. No Corners, No O-line, aging LB corp, 1 truly reliable productive RB when he's healthy.

Luck I would take in a heartbeat, but if Mariotta were luck he wouldn't and won't be available at #2, #3, #4 or #5.

17. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

One pick is NOT going to rebuild this offensive line. We have a need potentially at LT, one at RG, we may need a new LG depending on how Oday plays, and we most likely need to replace Breno Giaccamoni soon. With the exception of Mangold, we potentially have a need for four new offensive linemen, one rookie isn't going to bolster this line.. Second, Andrus Peat and Cedric Obegui all have glaring flaws when it comes to their techniques; they have a ways to go, before they can become competent starters in the NFL. In my opinion, Brandon Schreff is the best OL prospect, but no one is sure if he'll be able to play Left Tackle in the NFL, due to his short arms; and I'm most definitely not passing on Mariota for a guard, when one can be had in Free Agency.

This leads to my next point, you can't make the assumption that we'll be this bad next season. Heading into the '13 season the general consensus was that the Jets would be a four to five win team. But we exceeded expectations and ended up at pick 18, putting us out of position for some of the elite prospects. It's the NFL anything can happen, you cannot assume we'll be in a position to draft top tier prospect next year. If you see a QB you like, you take him and you don't think twice about it. The only player I'd consider taking over Mariota is Amari Cooper, and I'm not even too sure about that. Every prospect has flaws, as I said before, we won't be seeing another Andrew Luck for a very long time, and if that's what you're waiting for, you are going to be deeply dissapointed.

18. 1968jetsfan

You actually are kind of making my point by showing how much of the O-line needs to be rebuilt, which is my point. it's going to be a 2-3 year project within all likely hood to get a new O-line built and get it playing well together, longer if you keep hoping for 2nd through 5th round picks to be your prime guys or you get really lucky.
    Your correct about heading in to 13, but part of that is some of the teams on the schedule in 13 turned out to be bad teams that were projected to be good, or at least better, teams than they turned out to be in 13, that happens.
    And yes the Jets could have some surprise players step up.
    But as long as the O-line remains even close to this bad, as long as the CB's are MIA, as long as the LB corp as a whole is aging an ineffective the odds of the Jets being an 8-8 team is remote at best.

And this is coming from a guy who preaches that this is a QB driven league, but wins are a team stat.

19. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

We're not in the same situation that we were in '06, because we do not have two first round. If it's going to take two to three years to rebuild the OL, are we just going to ignore the QB position? Yes we have holes, but that should NOT stop us from taking a Quarterback in round 1, if we feel that he can be a franchise Quarterback.

20. 1968jetsfan

And here's where we have our rub, I don't doubt that Marriotta will be a good QB..I have doubts that he'll be a true franchise QB...I don't think there's anyone in this draft that's more than a 50/50 shot at best of being a true franchise QB. But that's just my opinion on the matter.

I'm a big believe that you win the game in the trenches, a bad offensive line will cost you more games than any QB and a good O-line will win you more games...though admittedly there won't be many jersey sales with O-linemens numbers on them, O-line just isn't sexy.