Will john Idzik be fired?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TonyMaC, Nov 25, 2014.

?

WILL john Idzik be fired by seasons end?

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

not "do you want him to be fired?", but WILL he be fired? without your own bias what do you think woody will do?

If woody keeps idzik its because he believes that Idzik is a better talent evaluator than he's thought to be by some fans and deserves a chance to make a team with HIS guy coaching and HIS staff top to bottom.

if woody fires JI, its because he caved in on fan and media pressure and would rather move on to another GM than potentially stick with a tarnished entity manning the front office, effectively making the ENTIRE staff a scapegoat for the jets troubles.

I honestly think he'll still be Gm after all is said and done. johnson's been patient with his other GMs, i expect the same here. the fact that he hasn't been allowed to pick a head coach might be the big decider in all of this.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

how does anyone really know?What are we suppose to do call a fortune teller and pray he's right?

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Does he deserve to be fired? Hell yea he does.

Will he? Hell no. Woody is a spineless bastard.

4jetfans, papapump and mezzavo like this.
  4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I doubt it man... i'd love it though. Firing a GM after 2 seasons just doesn't seem normal though

Red Menace likes this.
  5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Said exactly what I was going to say...almost Verbatim

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Unless the Jets finish strong I don't think Woody has much of a choice. The Jets at least right now are an embarrassment and he needs to do something big. He cannot do his normal low budget hire of a first time coach and first time GM. There will be a lot of pressure on Woody to bring in an established GM and coach and actually spend some money. Just firing Rex and keeping Idzik does not alleviate the problem and just pushes the firing of Idzik one year and then means hiring a GM again with a coach already in place or firing a year coach as well after 2015.

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yes

(haven't you seen the billboards??)

8. LongIslandBlitz

No but I saw a plane with a banner!!

4jetfans likes this.
  9. TonyMaC

WHO?

what established GM? what established coach?

please don't say gruden, he's been outta the league so long I doubt he even WANTS to come back or COULD.

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am not advocating the right or wrong just arguing that Woody will not be able to cheap his way out again and hire a cheap HC/GM that have never coached/GMed before. He will be under pressure to make a splash and give the Jets some respectability. Who knows who Woody thinks that might be. But I would argue we will not see another Groh, Edwards, or Mangini type hire again.

11. TonyMaC

I think we'll see another rookie HC again… because there aren't really that many viable vet HC's to begin with.

I ask who, because I'm at a loss for established HC's that have for some reason parted ways with their team.

Mike Shanahan? whos failed quite recently with WAS and is getting on in years...

MAYBE Gruden? who doesn't even seem interested…

the list ain't long. odds are we're gonna HAVE to give it to a newbie NFL HC, cheapness has nothing to do with it its just scarcity.

Noam likes this.
  12. TonyMaC

oh an GM's! whos an established GM we can trust? who's the obvious alternative to JI?

ANYBODY isn't an answer as much as it might seem that way in our bitterest of moments.

#12 TonyMaC, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

While I agree with you the list is limited I disagree about the dollars. Woody has always taken the cheap way out taking HCs and GMs that no one would bid against this time there will be a lot more pressure on him to sign a high profile signing whether its an established GM or HC, a sought after coordinator that is the "hot commodity" or a hot college coach. Woody will have a much harder time cheaping his way out this time. He needs to show the Jets are respectable and this change just does not continue the Jets as the media punchline. Something similar to what the Cheifs did a few years ago with Reid, the Browns did with Holmgren would make sense as he will want to bring experience and respectability. I hate the idea of Gruden but I could see Woody going there or going to Cowher and giving him total control or even bidding on Harbaugh. The problem is going after big names means giving them what they want and that is money and power to do what they want similar to what the Knicks finally did with Phil Jackson.

Regardless of what Woody does the prospects are quite scary. But back to the original point absent a Jet resurgence I think Idzik is long gone. On side point I went to the Bills game Monday in Detroit and I watched Idzik before the game and he seemed to get the cold shoulder from everyone in the organization. While everyone was running around shaking hands, back slapping and doing pre-game hugs there was Idzik standing alone with his arms folded looking quite friendless. No one would even go near him. Player, coach, etc. I get the impression that he may not have very many friends except the ones he has brought in. But that is pure speculation on my part and irregardless of that I think the man is gone. Woody needs to make a splash and restart all over and keeping Idzik one more year before firing him makes no sense.

14. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

I don't think he will be fired. It would be insane to fire him after this season, and the exact reason why most fans are fans and not people making decisions. Not only did Idzik not get a full chance to show what he can do yet, but firing a GM without some sort of outstanding reason after 2 years would send a signal to anyone else that the Jets are a retarded organization not worth bothering with. 2 years is certainly not enough to judge any GM, as given the crapshoot nature of the NFL draft, any GM, even the best one, and any organization can go 2 years without having great drafts, on top of which not enough time has passed to even judge his drafts yet, and on top of that, even with what we know, his drafts are not as bad as many fans think.

There is this hysteria because he had 12 picks and didn't land half of them as starters or impact players right away, but that's just retarded thinking. Go to pro football reference website, look up other teams' draft history and you'll see that that for most, it's not that much better than ours in the last two years, and for some it's worse. Look at whatever team you think is the most brilliantly run in the NFL, and you'll probably find a couple of drafts in the last 10 years or so which were no better than Idzik's. On the other hand, if say Aboushi keeps playing like he has and turns into a solid starter, and we get 3 starters from the 2013 draft (Richardson, Aboushi and Bohannon), and it is not outside the realm of possibility that Pryor becomes a much better player once he moves to SS, so we could have 3-4 starters from the 2014 draft (Pryor, Amaro, Dozier, Reilly). Suddenly Idzik's drafting would look much better. Either way we can't tell yet, because it's too damn early.

Most GMs get at least 2 coaches, because the way responsibilities are delegated in the NFL, it's hard to tell who is the guilty party more, the coach or the GM. With 2 different coaches, the picture becomes clearer. For example, everybody is angry at Idzik and/or Bradway for shitty drafts, but my personal guess is that the coaching staff has a huge role in evaluating talent. Look at Tanenbaum, when he had Mangini as a coach, he was drafting pretty well, but with Rex, his drafting became abysmal. I would not be surprised if Idzik's drafting improved as well with a different coaching staff giving him evaluations.

What a lot of you see as Idzik's bad moves, such as not signing Revis or Cromartie, I actually see as good moves. It just has to do with the perspective, is your main focus to win now, or to build a real contender? Signing over the hill veterans would help with the former, but hurt you with the latter, because by helping to win meaningless games in a transition season(s), all they are doing is hurting your chances of landing really high picks and possibly nabbing that elusive franchise quaterback. That's not to say that Idzik sabotaged the season on purpose or any of that silliness, it's just that his primary focus wasnt on winning this season, it was putting together young quality talent for the future. And if that talent didn't work out, like say with Milliner and McDougle because of injuries, then for the long term benefit of the team, it's better for us to suck and get higher picks and grab that talent the following year, rather than be that team in no-man's land.

15. PhillyJet52

PhillyJet52 Member

Tough question as this team is a shit-storm with Idzik written all over it. Do you let him run with this for another 2-3 years or do you pull the plug. I think the more important question is who is your HC if/when Rex is let go. If this is a long term rebuild then why not stick with Rex? Personally, I am not interested in Gruden, Cowher, or Harbaugh. It's not going to be an easy road ahead and I feel bad for guys who show up every week to play. God forbid Mo and Sheldon walk.

16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

It is a tough question. Where do you lay the blame (or the majority of it, assuming it isn't a straight black or white choice) - with Rex for the coaching or Idzik for the roster? I'm still feeling that the majority of the blame lies with Rex. This team should not be 2-9 bad, so I think Idzik gets a black mark on his record and notice to improve at the moment.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This absolutely should have been an option in the poll. I agree 100% that Idzik should but won't go. Woody can't admit mistakes were made ever.

TNJet likes this.
  18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Yes he will. Rex is gone. Woody can't storm the weather if he keeps Idzik.

19. LongIslandBlitz

There's a 75% chance Idzik gets fired and a 100% chance the winningest coach in Jets history also gets canned.I truly belive that Idzik is a dead man

20. LongIslandBlitz

It will be cloudy with a chance of "billboards" if he keeps Idzik.The fan base will be in disarray if we keep Shithead

mute likes this.