WILL Rex be fired next Monday morning?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedGreen89, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The sooner the better

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

No, he wont be fired.

3. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

They're keeping Rex. He's not going anywhere. There's no new coach coming. It will be the Rex and Idzik show again next season.

4. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I think if Idzik keeps Rex to the end of the season, it raises the chance that Woody just decides to cut ties with both ( which I hope happens) in order to hire best coach ( as a good coach unlikely to come here given Idzik doesn't have a long leash). There's clearly conflicts of interest here across the board (Rex playing for wins near term vs playing younger guys, Idzik using Rex as scapegoat for season, etc) so best hope is Woody cleans house at the end of season and gets the best GM and Coach in here to start fresh with a high pick.

Worst case scenario is Idzik fires Rex now, hires some mediocre coach, then Idzik spends like crazy in offseason to save his own job and the house cleaning commences in 2015 after another joke of a season.

5. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Thank you Nostradomus. Whats the lotto #s tonight btw?

Jets69 likes this.
  6. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

gm needs to go with him clean house totally

7. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Two great rocks will war for a long time, Then Arethusa will redden a new river.

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Mr. Footjob.....Lmao!!

I'm starting to believe that Woodly and Rex share in some sort of deviate fetish interests and that's the most important thing to Woodly, and what is Governing his thinking. That and his lame attempt at business...

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

If you fire rex you fire idzik on the same day. Give the fans hope for the rest of the season that they will bring in a top level personnel GM and line up a top tier coach to rebuild this team next season.

TNJet likes this.
  10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I know in basketball when a coach gets fired or resigns, the team usually goes on a "it was the coach" run where they play harder and try harder for a few games to show it was the coach and not them leading to the bad play. If you are trying to tank that could be bad.

I would still wait to let Rex go. End of year unless there is a miracle. It's a shame, I like Rex, just didn't work out the last 4 years.

Rex probably gets a DC job somewhere, Idzik should stay but I really don't know what Woody will do there.

11. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Ok know it all time will tell.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  12. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

I would pay top dollar to see Captain Jet on the sidelines trying to coach this circus. It would easily be the most entertaining part of any Jets game.

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I basically agree. Barring the rare cases in which the organization believes the next head coach is already on the staff, I have never seen the point in firing a head coach in the middle of the season. Let Rex have his entire sixth season, and then make an evaluation. I've been pretty adamant that I believe it's time to move on from Rex for a variety of reasons, but I still don't think you pull the plug in the middle of the year.

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Rex had an over .500 coaching record going into 2014 and after the Raiders game. We know he's big into stats and this is the most important stat in his resume. I'd give him the rest of the season but it doesn't really matter now does it.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

WILL Rex change his tattoo if he is fired?
    [​IMG]

WILL Rex make modifications to his tattoo if he isn't fired?
    [​IMG]

Find out in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z.

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

On Tuesday will this thread be locked? ;)

17. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

If you keep a coach who is a dead man walking (ie the decision has been made to get rid of him) on staff, it isn't viewed favorably. In addition, if you start the search process during this period most coaches will turn down the job immediately. In this day and age, you're not keeping it secret if you're starting a search even if it's just in-house. The Jets job already has some perceived...disadvantages..for the top tier candidates. Idzik managed to piss off player agents last off-season, don't think we want a repeat of him pissing off people around the league. Not to mention, this isn't Hockey...obviously tanking for draft position is still viewed...unfavorably.

I don't see a reason to keep a coach to the end of the season if the decision has been made. If they are still 'evaluating' rex at this point, then I'd say they're likely to keep him next season which would be an unmitigated disaster.

18. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Thats some funny shit :D If the owner could do that PSL's would sell out...let everyone through their tickets in a hat and have the head ref pull the winner.

19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The bolded is the pertinent issue here. I'm not a believer in evaluating mid-season, at all. In my opinion, an organization should only evaluate the head coach at the end of the season. Let's say, by some miracle, (and it would be just that) the Jets catch fire and finish the season 7-0. Do you still get rid of Rex?

I know the hypothetical I just alluded to isn't happening. After three going on four non-winning seasons, I strongly believe this organization is desperate for a change of culture. To me, that starts with parting ways with the face of the franchise and the guy who has been here for six years, surviving two general managers and three offensive coordinators in the process. I'm all in favor of letting Rex go. But, I just don't think you change head coaches mid-season, unless you believe his long term replacement might already be on the staff.

Also, I'd argue that firing a head coach in the middle of the year is generally viewed less favorably than waiting until black Monday to give him the axe.

#99 slimjasi, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  20. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Good comeback