The Keep Rex Ryan Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Monty_Droppings, Oct 27, 2014.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Point of order-- I saw last years' jets outperform its talent with excellent game planing. Was it consistent? Absolutely not.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He got to those title games when he had talent to work with, he had personnel that Mr. T went all in on. When he had the talent, he got us far. Unfortunately that came at a price, not making it to the big show in those two seasons meant a downward spiral in talent and cap hell immediately there after.

His defense has still played well despite the lack of talent, this year the lack of talent on the back end is too hard to mask. Even Rex can't get much out of this defense this year, which says a lot for a coach that has always been an amazing defensive mind. To say he hasn't been a great defensive mind for this team is someone talking irrational.

Stats are pointless, use your eyes man, you can see what the problems are each year on the field. You don't need a stat to enforce the obvious.

The guy has a lot of amazing traits as a HC in this league. I don't care what anyone says, if he had talent at the key positions of this team, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead you strictly look at the, what have you done for me lately motives.

I don't care who the coach was for the past several years, we wouldn't have made it to the playoffs. To say we would've is reaching extremely hard.

3. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

There has to be reasons why so many sports analysts say that Rex Ryan is a good football coach. Even I see people like Albert Breer tweeting that Rex Ryan would be a good coach if he gets a QB. But you cant fire a GM and keep a head coach, and the GM has to go.

He still gets me angry over his in game management and the fact that so many penalties are taken. But they were down 7 points at halftime with 3 first quarter turnovers including one that spotted them 7 points. Shows that the team plays hard for him.

Problem is realistically how many chances does he get? He survived Tanny can he now survive Idzik? He needs a good offensive mind working with him. Yes Marty is better than Schotty and Tony but he does some mind numbing things. Not sure how much of that is related to Geno and his one read offense.

But for everyone who wants Woody to reach out to personnel guys for advice, you think any of them are going to tell him to fire Rex? I would say most would say to fire Idzik (he did a good job getting the Jets out of cap hell and the next GM should sure as hell thank him for the top 10 pick and tons of cap space set up that hes leaving). However, I highly doubt that the man is stupid. He is not blind to the criticism he takes from the media, and chances are he will be reaching out to some football mind for advice. Just not sure who.

#43 SienaSaints, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Agreed the offense is a joke and it's inexcusable but you can't blame Rex for neglecting it. We've had 3 different OCs in the last 4 years. He's trying. Admittedly it hasn't worked, but you can't say it's for being hands off.

5. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

double post....my bad

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think we should probably give Rex another 5-10 years to figure out how to manage the clock, groom a quarterback, have a good offense, and manage a team in general. Give him a break his defense holds opponents to like 30 points per game. We NEED that.

7. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that if Rex had a chance to build his own defense, Revis would be one of our starting corners right now.

Monty_Droppings and IDFjet like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Rex has to be fired. No other option. Rex gave me the 2 most exciting seasons of my Jets fan life (2009 and 2010) but that feels like a different lifetime now. The team is a mess. The Coach has to be responsible.

JetsNation06 and slimjasi like this.
  9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Oh, he's trying!?!?!? Does he get a fucking cookie? It's the NFL. He's a multimillionaire. He better be fucking trying. We've had the same basic weakness as a team for six seasons now - a mediocre to outright poor passing offense in an irrefutably pass-happy league. I'm sorry, but I'm ready to let another coach "try" for awhile.

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

In the NFL? Rarely.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

He has to go. I think Idzik should go too, but that won't happen.

12. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

He also has a HOF QB...

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

he helped groom that hof qb... something rex isn't capable of doing.

14. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Food for thought on a lot of different subjects ailing our season.
    Has everyone forgotten we are in rebuild mode? We aren't half way there yet with the personel changes needed to compete for the long term. We have had injuries to an already weak secondary that really has killed us in the early part of the season and going forward. We were in every game through the first half of the season except S.D. And Buffalo and may have won a couple of those games with a decent CB or two. I know we can't predict injuries, but really Idzik? No effort on your behalf!
    It sucks to be 1-7, but this kind of shit happens to teams which are rebuilding.
    We are many pieces away on both sides of the ball from competing, including Qb. When will we actually have a decent one at the most critical position on offense? I'm pissed at Idzik for not addressing the O-line at all, the secondary with a more serious approach, the WR corp ( but to a lesser degree because this team was and is no where near ready to throw it 30 times a game anyway with the issues on the line and QB), and at Qb, starter and back ups both.
    Our defense is severely hurt by our weak back end CB's and FS/SS, but our lack of speed at ILB, and OLB hurts us in the passing game each week as well, but more subtly.
    On offense, Geno does suck, anyone can see. So did Nacho his first season, but it wasnt as noticable for a couple reasons. Our scheme in 09 was smash mouth, and a very good ground game at that. Nacho was protected to a large extent because of our run game, where as our current run game scheme offers no protection for Geno. This shotgun oriented running attack Marty uses sucks! Nacho atleast had teams worried about play action, this is long gone now. Teams constantly run/pass blitz because our running attack starts 5 yards behind scrimmage anyway, so why wouldnt they? Our line doesn't help because they don't protect worth a shit whether he is throwing or not. Maybe Geno wouldn't be so bad if he had the 09 offensive line, but he probably would. This is year two of Marty's philosophy, and thru 24 games it totally sucks. A change here wouldn't bother me at all. What does he offer us?
    Rex and his current philosophy on secondary coverage, sucks as well. How many times have we seen a 3rd and 5, with our corners 8-10 yards deep? Sure we don't have personnel to play great man/bump, for fear of the long ball, but it doesn't seem to be working anyway. Rex seems almost conservative, rather than going all in. Our safeties and corners constantly blow coverages, and every zone we play allows someone on offense to get wide open every stinking time. Usually 10-20 yards down field. Our slow Linebackers kill us constantly here too. Harris can't guard a fence post, nor can Pace, Barnes, Couples, or anyone else. Davis is as close as we have and he isn't anywhere near a coverage LB at this point in his career.
    I've always been a Rex fan pertaining to defense, but not so much this year. He has sucked, and I know he is the one calling plays. Also, When will the Allen conversion to CB stop? He just isn't a corner. Try someone else.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if this rebuild includes a cleaning house of the coaching staff.
    Lets see what happens in the last 8 games of the season. All that's left is player development. Lets see who grows and who doesn't. Lets see who is worthy of being a Jet next season, with the remainder of the schedule.
    I knew coming into this season that our schedule favored that of a team who had been to the playoffs the previous year. Every team in the AFC improved (with the exception of Jax, and Oakland), while we took steps back.
    Idzik, Ryan, and Marty, better do some rethinking and retooling this off season strategy wise at their respective positions(if they are still here), otherwise we may have back to back sub 5 win seasons.

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

ive been one of the bigger geno supporters, but how you can say he didnt cost us the game is beyond me. he turned it over 3 times on our first 4 drives. if not for the defense we would have lost by even more.....

a team that "didnt show up" wouldnt have kept that game close. a team that wasnt playing hard for their coach would have packed it in at 21-7. they fought back

16. jerseyjay14

open your eyes. we cleaned house ALREADY

new GM
    new OC
    new DC
    new ST coach
    new directory of player personel
    12 new starters

cleaning house happened when idzik was hired

17. jerseyjay14

right and if we had a good coach we'd have 6 wins right?

the problem with this team is TALENT. we are bottom 5 at damn near every position... inclusing the most important one

any time rex had a SHRED of talent, this team won games. the guy made the AFC championship with mark sanchez. MARK SANCHEZ!

tbruner12 likes this.
  18. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Come onnnnnnn.

Rex is the DC. Thurman controls probably 10 percent of the defense. If that.

A GM was hired because a coach was forced on him (fine with me, I didnt want Rex fire..still dont) but thats a recipe for disaster from the start. Idzik isnt a football guy. He got the job by default pretty much.

And cleaning house doesnt involve most players. The Jets have a lot of young guys with potential. Just lacking direction especially on offense.

To clarity my original comment though. I dont want Rex fired. But if it means Idzik goes then I would accept a new head coach coming in. If Rex goes and Idzik stays I might lose all interest in this franchise.

19. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The heck you can't blame him. He is the HC, NOT the DC. The bottom line is that he responsible for the play of the ENTIRE team, not just the D. It's his job to learn about offense and make sure the OCs are doing their jobs well and doing what he wants. If he's not capable of that, then he's not qualified to be a HC in the NFL.

You're right about one thing, however...Rex is VERY trying to one's patience.