75.9, 77, 73.9

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mikejsmith6852, Oct 27, 2014.

1. mikejsmith6852

mikejsmith6852 New Member

Those are Eli Manning's QB ratings in his first 3 full seasons, and that's excluding his rookie campaign where he posted a 55.4 rating over 9 games. I've often been critical of Eli. I think he's overrated. But he's certainly been a good pro QB, albeit one whose postseason success has enabled some to overlook his flaws.

My point is this. It takes years to develop a pro QB. Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson are not the norm. There is absolutely no point in starting Vick, and there is no point in starting Simms. Start Geno, the QB we've invested the past season and half in developing. Geno has been a disappointment and we need to be prepared to move on next season. But there is nothing to be gained from starting someone else, and maybe he can make some significant progress over these next 8 games.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh give me a fuckin break!

Geno sucks! Give it up!!

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Go away.

4. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Sigh...Ill bite. The key difference being is that you always knew Manning had the tools and the ability and the smarts to win games. Geno has none of the above

5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Genover is done

Just stop

6. mikejsmith6852

mikejsmith6852 New Member

The key difference is Eli was given a longer rope because of his last name.

Axel3419 likes this.
  7. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

I agree with you here. We gain nothing by starting vick. This season is no longer about winning but preparing for next year. Geno needs to be forced to show progress.

However, the team cannot continue to play a QB that threw 3 ints on 3 consecutive possessions. You just cannot do it. We need to have Vick start and either play decent or make us realize why he wasn't the starter from the beginning of the season. My guess is the latter

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The major difference is Eli was basically the #1 overall pick, Geno fell from the 1st round to the 2nd round because he wasn't expected to be good. The leash is much shorter, if Geno was a top 10 pick I'd say growing pains but there was a reason Geno fell and wasn't a top 10 pick.

HardHitta likes this.
  9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think you're right in that it takes time to develop a QB but eventually we need to relocate the blame. I love Rex and until recently I wanted to keep him, but this team needs a complete culture change, everyone needs to go from the top down. We can't just keep drafting quarterbacks then running them out of town. We need a head coach who knows offense and knows how to develop a passer in the modern age of the game.

Eventually you have to stop looking at the quarterbacks and start looking at the guys responsible for them. There are plenty of talent evaluators who were high on Geno and Sanchez, and we just completely dropped the ball on getting them to the next level. There's all this "just think of if we had a Russell Wilson", but who even knows if Wilson gets to the point he's at know if we had drafted him. Hell, who even knows if Brady could have developed in this environment. You can't just keep throwing rookies into a dumpster fire and expecting them to save the day. I guarantee if we draft Mariota without making wholesale changes all we're gonna do is ruin another kid's career and bitch on this forum in 2 years about how every new toy we get is broken.

CaneJet, FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Oh yea cuz that Seattle regime has such an awesome resume of developing QB's like Tavaris Jackson and New England is a QB Mecca, I mean look at the awesome QB's they developed like Cassel and Mallett.

11. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Peyton went 1-15 in his first year too. Yeah, it's the surname.

Or it might be that they don't suck as much as Geno? 56% passer, with only two games in his career with a passer rating over 90%. And the NFL is much more pass-happy than when either of the Mannings made their debut.

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Wilson is the only rookie QB Carroll has tried to develop in his tenure. And the Patriots didn't need to hit on either of those guys, what they do with Garropollo will be a better indicator.

My point is that look at the environment Wilson gets thrown into. A ridiculous defense and a strong running game led by Lynch. Geno gets thrown into a place where his head coach only talks to him when he's telling him jokes, a defense that gave up countless 40 yard touchdown passes last year and an offense consisting of Jeremy Kerley as its main playmaker. You can't expect a guy to come in and flourish under that, I don't care how good of a prospect he is. I'm not trying to defend Geno, I'm trying to give the entire organization blame they fully deserve.

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yea that and also Wilson is 10x the player Geno is so it's silly to even bring up these other things

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So I suggested keeping Sanchez for the next few years, while Jets develop that young QB. For like the past 2 years. The response from this fan base? I was out of my fucking mind. What say you? Try developing the QB while appeasing this fan base. Tough luck, son.

15. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

I totally understand what you're saying, and if Geno wasn't terrible I'd agree. It does take time to develop a QB.

But like I said, Geno is terrible.

16. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

Heard this argument every year with Sanchez.

IDFjet likes this.
  17. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

stop with the fucking geno threads. Bottom line is he is horrible. no ifs and buts about it.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The biggest problem I see with Geno is his inability to feel the rush. He literally has no idea where the pressure is coming from and if there even is pressure. This in turn affects his ability to throw the ball on time as he generally holds the ball way too long or makes poor throws because he feels as though he is rushed when he in fact has time. Unfortunately this is a skill that generally cannot be learned.

He doesn't deserve to play for at least a couple games, but with Vick as a free agent, we basically have to bring the guy back and it makes no sense to cut him when you can stash him on your roster and hope to got sitting and learned aids his development. Regardless other viable options need to be brought in and a true camp battle should be held. It's hard to believe he'd win the job, but it doesn't hurt to have two young quarterbacks on the roster.

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Steve Young had some interesting comments about geno on Espinoza today,,,,,,,

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Which were?