No regrets with Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TonyMaC, Oct 26, 2014.

1. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I do not regret that the jets drafted Smith in the second round. he was touted as the best QB in that draft, and fell into the laps of a team in need of a boost at QB. he was the BPA, by all accounts, at that moment in time. he was a good pick without using the gift of hindsight, no matter how he turns up.

I do not regret the team keeping with him after he struggled, we needed to see how he would respond to something going wrong (which WILL happen no matter who you are) and if he would rebound. sometimes he did, but not enough.

And I do not regret giving him the time he has gotten to settle into the role of starting QB. its unrealistic to fully evaluate a QB after one year, and really we needed to give him a full offseason to adjust to the pros.

All in all i don't regret the time spent with Smith as jets starting QB. i really don't, and I never will, and I absolutely think he was worth a try for the amount of time he's been given.

But we can't rely on him to be the starter next year. that was the question we needed to answer, and we have the answer. I'm not gonna say he'll never be a good QB in his career, and I see no point in cutting him given his low cost, but we should not move forward thinking we have an answer at QB.

no regrets, we tried.

CaneJet, Snatch Catch, joe and 15 others like this.
  2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I dont regret it either, he was the right pick at the time...Honestly, he dropped and I was excited when we chose him. I was there at the draft.

But he is so terrible that I would rather see Brett Ratliff out there.

Honestly, it is time to move on and change this whole organization up and down. Idzik failed this city.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I agree we needed a QB last year and the highest rated guy fell in our laps. We did our due diligence and it's clear now that Geno isn't the guy. We need a QB next year and we need to go get a veteran. And draft a guy early to sit for a year or so.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  4. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

No qb in that draft has looked good. We really didn't have too many options.

Let's move on now.

5. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Hell yeah bro, I wanted him so badly.

We got him and well, it didn't work out.

6. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Great post, obviously there are far more problems in addition to QB but it's time to move on. We don't have the answer on our team.

7. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Should have drafted a damn receiver and signed a journeyman qb.

8. TonyMaC

weird part is, he WILL be in the mix next year, being the only QB on contract and all. Probably just as a backup, but still, he'll be here.

if theres anything to Smith we'll find it, we just can't go on thinking we WILL.

vet,rookie, and Smith (and I guess Simms?) thats our QB situation next year. which vet? depends on how Vick does.
    which rookie? depends on where we draft and how the draft falls.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

By who and there was a reason he fell. Our FO and HC were to stupid to know why. Should have asked me. lol

10. TonyMaC

wait this year or 2013? cause this year we did, and honestly we probably got the best we were gonna get in Vick. we didn't really have much options in 2013 to do so.

as for a WR… without KNOWING how Allen would turn up I'm not sure that would've been the better pick at the time.

11. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It's time to move on from this coach and this QB. It's just time. This game is a microcosm of what's been going on all year with this team.

They have no discipline whatsoever on either side of the ball, so even when they are moving the ball or stopping the other team they're still playing against themselves and losing yards, losing first downs/giving up first downs due to penalties. We need a HC who understands and knows the offensive side of the ball, and one who can coach his players up better then Rex. Rex is a good defensive coach, but he doesn't fix the mistakes that constantly plague his teams. And now that the talent has dwindled, the mistakes dont get hidden anyway near as well.

Geno Smith is simply not the answer. I have no problem with the Jets keeping this guy on the team in hopes of a miraculous turnaround but the Jets should absolutely be looking to bring in a new QB next year to be the starter. I'd actually be looking to draft one and sign a veteran.

#11 kevmvp, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    Pocket Jet likes this.
  12. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Speak for yourselves...I knew it was an epic waste of a draft pick the moment I heard his name called b/c I actually followed the dude in college and knew his nice stats were the result in a fraud air raid system that inflates mediocre QBs. He was an awful pick and had we not picked him, we could have selected a QB this year such as Johnny Manziel. We would have been able to select an OL or skill guy in Geno's place and been significantly better off. But our retard GM thought he was being clever by "winning the draft" and "Getting value" when every other GM knew Geno was a clown.

13. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I agree. Geno Smith was a complete waste of our time the moment Idzik drafted him. I also do not understand that just because we needed a QB and this stiff fell to us in the second round, we had to take him. No, you only take him if you believe in wasting high draft picks on mediocre talent at the most important position on the field.

FlaJet likes this.
  14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

15. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Geno Smith was a good value pick. I don't fault Idzik for picking him. I'll fault him if they stick with him going into next year though.

It was a good gamble, he was the highest rated QB in that draft. It didn't work out. Smart GM's move on, we'll see what Idzik does.

TonyMaC likes this.
  16. TonyMaC

Geno Smith was a good pick at a great value. How he turns up changes nothing about that, he was the best pick we could've made when given the information we had at that point in time.

One shouldn't make draft selections based on what COULD be there next year, thats ridiculous, thats what a "retard" GM would do. You look at whats available see who has the best value, take a balance at some of your needs and shoot.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What exactly requires something to be the "right pick"? Drafting a project QB in the 2nd round doesn't seem like the right pick to me.

GoldenShowers likes this.
  18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

the jets should have never started geno so soon. they definitely fucked up treating him like a franchise qb this offseason and not even entertaining the idea of a qb competition. he has talent but needed time to learn the baiscs of how to play in the nfl.

I hope they keep him as a developmental player and treat him as such. we need a veteran starting qb next year.

#18 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    Fiftynine likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

People say that he was the highest rated QB in the draft, but that QB draft class is a piece of shit. Not one of those QBs from that draft is good.

20. TonyMaC

EXACTLY right, it didn;t work out but it wasn't a bad move. #noregrets #butuhstillwegottamoveon

looking back it was a weaker one, but i don't begrudge the jets for getting a QB during this time. Lord knows the college QB's that looked good at that point would decline and we would look stupid for waiting instead of pouncing.

you play the draft as it is not what you think its gonna be next year.