Would You Take a Flyer on Michael Sam?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 23, 2014.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Not my point. If the guy can play, then he should be on a roster. My point is there's more to this story than just his ability to play. And I just looked up the last 8 SEC POY's and they were all drafted in the first or 2nd round. So the guy's definitely getting shafted because of his personal life.

TNJet likes this.
  2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

2003 Chad Lavalais drafted in the 5th rd and out of Football after 1 season, I am sure there have been others. It is about his play not his preference at this point, 2 teams have already had him in and he couldn't stick.

74 likes this.
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

you've jumped to a conclusion pretty quickly here. do you know any details about why he was cut from both teams so far or do you just assume that because other people who won the same college award he did were drafted earlier that he was cut because of his personal life?

why would teams even bother to put him on the roster if they were concerned with that?

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You're countering your own statements. You're asking when the last time a guy like this dropped to the 7th round. You asked to look it up and compare. You can't compare because his draft position wasn't solely based on talent and his field presence. It was based a lot on his off field concerns.

You can't make a comment about comparing him to other SEC DPOY players when he dropped for other reasons.

5. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

At some point, he will be a Jet, or at least I really really believe so

Before the draft Sheldon talked him up every day and he has started to again with his release, I think he gets signed in the offseason at some point. For how long? idk lol

6. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

The dude simply isn't nfl quality nothing more to see here

7. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

No problem. Lots of people disagree with me but I think it's still undecided whether he can play at the NFL level. Not sure if he'll get another crack though because the lack of versatility is really limiting which teams can even utilize him.

8. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Cooper decker Harvin kerley seems legit

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

The evidence that he couldn't make the rams PS and got cut from the 'Boys PS isn't enough evidence for you? Consider all 7th rounders who went thru similar histories and determine the probability of them making a 53 man roster. It's got to be under 1 in a 1000 at best. Yet you still think its undecided?

You're biased towards him and are using illegitimate arguments

10. JetsNation06

And the last 8 or so were all first or second rounders as I said. So that means it's the exception rather than the norm for an SEC player to drop that far in the draft. And Chad Lavalais? He wasn't nearly as productive or well-known as Sam coming out of college. Sam was a national name in college BEFORE he came out of the closet. That's because he was a great college player.

I believe he dropped in the draft and has been cut by two teams more for the fear of all the media attention that comes with him, rather than his inability to be on an NFL roster.

11. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

Not that I would like the move but if Vernon f'in Gholston could take a roster spot for 3-4 seasons, so could a Michael Sam. Definitely couldn't do worse at the position.

TNJet likes this.
  12. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Nothing against him..... But no.... The last thing we need is D-line help and he's not really suited to be an OLB.,,,

13. JetsNation06

Teams will always give a shot to a guy who has been as successful and productive as Sam was the major college level. Just look at Tebow. Yet what I believe happened is that the Rams and Cowboys realized that he may not be as versatile a player as they originally thought. So the cons of having to deal with all the media circus surrounding him outweighed the pros of his ability to help the team. Yet I still think he's probably capable of a roster spot based on his football ability but the baggage that comes with him just isn't worth the roster spot. I think teams are looking at the cost/benefit analysis when it comes to a case like Sam.

14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

You can disagree that he's not good enough to play in the NFL but assumption that heavy bias is the only reason for me to be undecided is wrong. I've laid out enough logic in my posts to show my rationale. Cameron Wake didn't make any NFL rosters when he finished college also.

#34 ajax, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't watch ESPN much anymore, stick with NFL Network for the most part - but I don't recall seeing any media circus surrounding him. There was buzz around the initial transaction but that's it.

Has there been a lot of media on this after the initial signings?

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that or he's not any good. The Rams and Cowboys already signed him and went through the media circus. The hard part was over. If they thought he was any good they would've kept him. Especially for the Rams who had to answer questions about him every day for training camp. Even he was any good they would've kept him on the roster to sack people on sundays. The cowboys clipped him off their freakin practice squad. He's not a good NFL player, gay or not.

Your posts on this matter are gay

17. JetsNation06

Not an unusual amount of media after the signings but we're also talking about the media in St. Louis and Dallas. The NYC media is a completely different animal. I'm torn on the guy. I agree that he's most likely just not good enough but I'm still a little skeptical.

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I'm surprised we didn't draft him....maybe if we were on 'hard knocks' again. Right up Woodster's alley

Besides, IK Enemkpali's prolly a much better prospect for us. They're similar in stature, and style

19. JetsNation06

The NY media is wayy different than Dallas or St. Louis media, no comparison there. So I think the media factor would play a huge role in the decision for a NY franchise to sign him. Yet I agree that he's most likely just not good enough.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So there was no media circus but the non existent media circus caused him to be cut. That's an interesting argument.