Geno Smith: Lost in Cinci Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, Oct 20, 2014.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

1) It is absolutely part of his overall responsibility as the head coach. He doesn't get to just hide behind clever defensive game plans. This team has been inordinately turnover prone for years now. We have been at or near the bottom of the league in passing yards for years now. Rex has been here six years. We can't just absolve him of his team's perpetually glaring deficiencies because he's an entertaining cheerleader.

2) Having a top tier QB would be awesome, but history is also replete with incredibly successful "ball-breaker" head coaches (and there have been several of these "ball-breakers" who won championships without having an elite quarterback). Having an elite quarterback makes the job infinitely easier, but history has proven many times that it isn't a true prerequisite.

#21 slimjasi, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Technically yes, there is a part of me deep down (near my scrotum) that still has feelings for the Sanchize.

Dirty6Sanchez likes this.
  3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Like I said - I think Jets got their QB when Pennington came on board.

Of course, Herm blew it. I mean, if your QB is [fighting for yardage] on scrambles, your coaches are doing it all wrong. [SLIDE THE FUCK DOWN!!!] or [RUN THE FUCK OUT!!!] are not such a difficult discipline to instill - especially to a QB of Pennington's caliber.

Boy Jets would have looked mightily different if he tagged along in 2009.

4. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

As first happened with Sanchez, and now has happened with Smith, the Jets are AFRAID OF THEIR OWN QUARTERBACK! How can you possibly be succesful in this league under that circumstance?

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

it was Herm's fault Chad got hurt on a scramble? seriously?

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

You must really hate Herm if you are blaming him for Pennington getting hurt.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Of course he is clueless he is a defensive coordinator,this is why he has a QB coach,and a offensive coordinator and 20 other coaches on the staff ,not to mention Genos private trainer and access to the best training center in the NFL,but yea its def all Rexs fault

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Well. I know I stretched a bit there. Just frustrating - the only viable QB Jets ever had in recent memory was lost in such a bullshit play.

That said - if I am a head coach, if I see my QB scrambling and fighting for yardage, I am yelling in his ear for the entire duration of the practice - let alone the actual game.

9. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

You don't take away a QB's ability to just go out and throw. That's not the way to develop a QB. You let him go out there, not overthink, not be scared to throw, and sling the rock around. Don't dumb it down, don't color code his reads. The ones that are good will make mistakes and get better. The ones that aren't very good won't fix their mistakes.

By forcing a QB to be too careful, you limit his ability to be a QB. And nothing good will ever come from that.

10. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

That meltdown was aided by Tony Sporano, Tim Tebow, injuries to Keller, Holmes, and Hill, a dead running game, and a weak offensive line. What is Geno's excuse?

Hell in 2011 Sanchez had 32 total TDs (26 passing tied Joe Namath's best season) and he was rewarded with an awful 2012 team. Geno was given new receivers, new running backs, new offensive linemen, and no improvement.

nyjunc likes this.
  11. nyjunc

it was a run of the mil play, got pressured, scrambled for yardage. happens every game. Chad's body was just not built for the NFL. If he was durable he'd still be here and we would have won a lot more games this past decade.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me correct, he could have run out of bounds that time - which he didn't. Hence the ire.

13. nyjunc

I think the play was up the middle and he dove to get the 1st down.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I can't locate the video clip of it so I can't confirm - but what I can agree with you there is, Chad was fighting for 1st down; and I don't want my QB to do that.

That's the job of RBs, TEs and WRs. QB should just protect himself and play the next series - which Chad couldn't do. They are taking heavy physical abuses from the opposing front seven already - they don't need to expose themselves to these kind of unnecessary abuses.

15. nyjunc

they are competitors, they are coached to slide but he wanted a 1st down in a close game on the road. nothing you can do about that.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ya know - I love van Persie as a player. He's a phenomenal talent. Just - I don't want him on my squad. My reason? He's probably the best striker in the world of soccer on a fucking hospital bed.

The job of a QB is to direct the offense, and score points. Peyton Manning won't be much useful to any team if he's on a hospital bed.

If he injures himself while fighting for that measly yard, the entire offense stalls for the duration of his injury. He is taking way too much risk for a return of a fucking yard. Just not worth it.

If a QB of Pennington's caliber cannot grasp that concept, I don't know what to say. Really.

17. nyjunc

I don't know what a van persie is.

Chad was going to get hurt no matter what, it may not have been that play but it would have happened. his body was not meant for NFL football.

18. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

I believe Geno blames the media Haha.

But, In all honesty this next 8 games will be the deciding factor in whether Geno Smith gets replaced next season or not. He's got the talent around him ( with Harvin, Decker, Kerley, Amaro ). The running game is clicking and we're approaching a softer stretch of games then we've seen in the past month.

He needs to continue with the ball security,. and start scoring points in the RedZone.