Jets acquire Percy Harvin!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Oct 17, 2014.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

2014 was never the year for a Super Bowl, and i recognize it is essentially year 2 of a rebuild.
    It was a year for growth and progress though, and a year in which we could have competed for the division. Idzik's big miscalculation imo was throwing away the present as part of a larger future plan. you cannot underestimate the present in terms of obtaining that future goal.
    if the coaches are fired, and the QB proves to not be our answer, the entire rebuilding effort takes a step back. by maybe a couple of years even..

I'm not saying Idzik will definitely be fired. I am saying he doesn't automatically have his job waiting next year to do what he pleases.
    he hasn't earned enough clout for that automatic second chance at coaches and QB.
    The year has to play out, and some progress made on Idzik's moves before that becomes clear. If they finish strong, then i'd expect both Idzik and the coaches to be back.

I disagree that Woody and Idzik are on the same page as well.
    I don't feel Woody, Idzik, and Rex/coaches are on the same page at all, which is part of the problem, and could potentially lead to a house cleaning/reboot.

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Called that shit

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

5. MaximusD163

I wasn't gonna say anything, just let him have it lol

74 likes this.
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

out of all those defensive players you listed, only Richardson was an Idzik move.
    The rest were already here, and their development was under some of the best coaches in the biz in Rex and Dunbar. coaches who will likely be fired now. outside of Richardson (who was a great pick), that front 7 roster and development had nothing to do with Idzik.

The secondary has gone down the toilet. we can no longer cover anyone on third downs or in the red zone, which is the biggest reason for 1-6 record imo.. say what you will about Cromartie, but you cannot compare the 2012 Cro to the 2014 combo of Walls, Adams, and Allen.

on offense, neither the QB or Oline has improved, which is the most important thing.
    WR's, you can't count Harvin for first half of season obviously. When Decker was banged up, we were rolling with Salas, Nelson, Kerley and Cumberland as our primary options. not much different than 2012 at all.

not saying Idzik is done. we still have games to play. but this season's roster was pretty weak considering 20 draft picks, and plenty of 2014 cap money. Harvin was step in right direction. just wish more was done sooner.

7. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Excellent post.

8. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

Axel3419 likes this.
  9. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

I did mention that in my post, but your earlier point was that we have not improved in talent since 2012 at all, so it wasn't about Idzik, I am just showing you that our starting players across the board are much better now.

The secondary has not gone down the toilet because it wasn't that good to begin with. One corner was Kyle Wilson. Enough said. The other, Cromartie, had a good year, but he was 30. There was no point in keeping him because he does not fit our long term plans, being too old. I personally think he is a little overrated this year because he is playing on a very talented all around defense in Arizona, and Peterson there takes on the #1 WR, and we've all seen how much Cro sucked last year, but more importantly, a 32 year old CB can be a stop-gap solution, like Patterson or whatever, but it makes no sense to look at him as some kind of talent that we lost since then. This is a new Jet team.

I will also say that when Cro looked really good in 2012, Idzik kept him for 2013, but he was absolute shit in 2013, maybe the worst corner in the league. Now in hindsight you can say that was just the injury, but last year it looked like he was getting too old too. So I wouldn't go around blaming Idzik for letting him go. And 2014 Walls and Allen are in my opinion better than 2013 Cro and Milliner (until Dec when Milliner took it to another level). Our secondary was terrible last year, and we didn't face this murder's row of elite QBs.

Aboushi has looked good so far, in a small sample. Hopefully he keeps it up. And QB, that's how it goes. Idzik is giving Geno a fair chance, now with quality weapons all around, but the rest is fate. If Geno continues to suck this year, I expect Idzik to bring in someone else next year.

As far as Decker being injured, you can use that kind of argument on any team. If Peyton Manning goes out with injury, and the Broncos suddenly look like shit, that's their GM's fault? This is one thing that annoys me about Idzik's criticisms. Is it his fault our top 3 CBs are not playing? Or that Decker had those hamstring injuries? Or that the NFL screwed us over with the schedule and then with the referreeing? Cut the guy some slack.

10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i agree with you..but our top 3 corners going into the season

milliner - unproven and injury history
    patterson - below average talent with injury history
    wilson - i don't need to say anything
    and mcdougle - again another player with injury history

11. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Well, to continue my Peyton Manning example, Denver got him coming off a major neck injury and surgery, where a lot of people, himself included, thought he might retire. At any point during his stint in Denver, Manning could've been hit in the neck and be done for good. The point being you can't just get perfect players every time without any kind of risk. If Idzik could've taken someone better than Milliner or McDougle in his mind, I am sure he would've. Neither of them had atrocious injury history, Milliner never missed a game in college, and McDougle only had one serious college football related injury. If you look at NFL history, I am sure there were a lot of players with the same injury history in college as Milliner/McDougle who went on to do great things, and there were a lot of others who became injury plagued busts. It's just easy to sit in judgement after the fact.

Also I wouldn't say Patterson was below average talent. He was pretty good when healthy, and obviously never had the AWOL thing before. And after the way Milliner finished last year, I wouldn't say he was totally unproven. He looked very good the few times this year when he was able to play.

12. MaximusD163

The 'below average' phrase is thrown around a little too much, I think Patterson was probably average or mildly above average with a pretty significant injury history. The other thing that needs to be pointed out is there is a difference between being 'banged up' a lot, and being genuinely injury prone. Milliner had some injuries, but not significantly more than the average player. The only reason people seem to remember him as being injured is because he had a shoulder injury around the time of the draft. He was banged up but always played at Alabama, and last year never had an injury that kept him out more than a game or 2. McDougle you can make a little more argument for, but even he doesn't have an intense injury history either. He just had a couple little things here or there before his broken collar bone, and even that is not generally the kind of thing you worry about happening again to a CB. McDougle had no history of injury to any lower body joints, tendons, ligaments, muscles, or bones. The risk of injury within this group is greatly exaggerated, and fans tend to do that. 'Injury prone' is another phrase that's really overused.

13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Percy will make a big difference

I just feel he creates mismatches and also frees up decker

This move will help a lot assuming he is healthy and on all offensive snaps

14. gustoonarmy

Sir Percy making new friends

[​IMG]

15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yea high fives are awesome!

Fucking fuck man. The dude is like. 80% chance to be Holmes 2.0 let's see some plays on the field in the next few games before we give a shit about who his friends are

Jake likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Can we exaggerate a little more? Jesus.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's more talented then Holmes - so we got that going for ourselves.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I was drinking lol just trying not to set myself up for disappointment

19. gustoonarmy

glad I read on before posting :rolleyes:

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I watched his interviews with the press yesterday and I have to admit I felt sorry for him. He is obviously a troubled guy but was trying very hard to be friendly and cordial even though he was dealing with a pack of vultures who were only trying to get him to make mistakes and say things that could get him on the hot seat .