Calvin Pryor Player Assessment So Far

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Altoona, Oct 17, 2014.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Thanks

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

With the Allen experiment looking to get worse - looks like Pryor will be in at SS for the rest of the season. That could mean another safety being drafted in the near future to play FS - once Pryor gets more experience in the NFL.

3. MaximusD163

Could I trouble you to throw Coples' ratings up here?

Jets69 likes this.
  4. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

That should be interesting.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Pryor is excellent in run support, I really like what he can bring there.

Maybe in due time he can be a FS only because his athleticism is very good. Once he learns the league id like to see him play FS. Right now he's best not thinking too much in a complex defense.

6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to take upload the image on here but he's graded out overall at 0.3. He's basically been average but not as bad as people are making him out to be IMO.

7. MaximusD163

Thanks, if I had to guess he probably grades higher in the run game than pass rushing?

8. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This pretty much sums it up. He's looked good in the box but his coverage ability has been poor. Let's remember he is a rookie though. I'd like to see him playing a better suited role when we get a real free safety to compliment him. I think not only is he a rookie, but he isn't playing to his strengths because the lack of personnel has him fulfilling other roles.

9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Pryor has made some really good plays against the run and he popped a few guys made em drop the ball. I think he would've been our SS if Allen had not been moved and our corners were still healthy. He's decent for now i think he'll grow into a top 10 safety one day.. at least now that the season is canned he can get a chance to just work on the small things from before as it wouldnt matter as much anymore what happens. But on a side not it seems like him and Allen gave up like all of the TD's this year!

10. mute

mute Well-Known Member

He'll get better.

Ima usin Tapatalkie.

11. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

You are right. I was too quick to pass judgement in my earlier post. Pryor has looked very good and you never know where the ceiling is for young players like that. The ability to consistently play in the box is already there which is why I get frustrated by his struggles in the backfield. Sometimes I forget that I'm judging a rookie. Hopefully, he can became more proficient at playing "center field" soon because Jets really need help at that spot.

12. NFL

NFL Active Member

We all have to remember that Pryor has been playing somewhat out of position at FS and he hasn't done bad. Now, take into account that we have been playing the best quarterbacks in the league this past weeks. I expect his game to really elevate now that he's not playing quarterbacks who know how to look him off to the wrong side of the field.

13. MaximusD163

Understand what the differences are for each position moving from college to the pros. Safeties have to learn pro style offenses and pro style defenses more than most other positions, save for ILB's. They are seeing things unfold in different ways than they ever did in college, and they are responsible for more diverse coverage assignments than any other position, especially in a Ryan defense. Pryor rotates through taking on blocks, blitzing, man coverage, zone coverage, and often the responsibility he takes on is decided through play recognition as it develops. Combine this with trying to account for the physical prowess that pro level offensive players display, and you have to expect that it's going to take some time.

Defensive linemen's responsibilities have some play recognition involved, and some differences in the strength and ability of offensive linemen they go against, but more than anything else they rely on technique refinement as they move into the pros. It makes sense that players like Wilkerson and Richardson develop more quickly than players like Pryor and Milliner.

14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Calvin Pryor was told by the coaching staff that his role this season will be SS. He said as much in a video on NFL.Com "Pryor Ready for 'Strong' Role".

I think that this is great news that the coaching staff will be putting him in a position to succeed. It's also very encouraging that the coaching staff is letting players know right out of the gate day 1 what their role will be.

alleycat9 and NYJalltheway like this.
  15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Should have drafted Teddy.

_

LIJetsFan, TNJet, xxedge72x and 2 others like this.
  16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think Rex was totally on board with this pick. And knew a lot about this guy. They (the coaching staff) told Idzik the guy was good not visa versa. Statistically he was not that bad. And was graded a lot better than most people who watched the guy play thought.

17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Pryor's a special player. His motor is crazy. He was just out of position and asked to do things he had no business doing. I think he's gonna kill it this year. He's back to run support and stopping plays coming out of the backfield. Should be fun.

alleycat9 likes this.
  18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I really hope this guy turns into something now that he is gonna be playing the part of the field he is more familar with

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Agree. Rex was about the hitting, somebody lowering the boom. Also, all the DB's were were asked to do a lot of different things, at different positions. On top of the position changes from lack of depth.
    Maybe TB is just simplifying things for everybody to start things off, that's a good thing.

20. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i'm really excited to see what pryor can do next year, especially with having the support of the new secondary

JetLifeLo likes this.