A major test for Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Oct 17, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think it's more-so Geno just not willing to run. He doesn't want to do it. Coaching Staff wants Geno to run more.

2. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

This is questionable. In the first few games Geno was running like a madman and not sliding. Afterwards he started to slide much more (thank god) but then he soon stopped running altogether. Finally, in Denver and New England, he started to run again and we've had more success.

There's definitely some coaching influence in the change of his habits. Geno isn't experienced enough to decide everything himself; he's being told what to do for the vast majority of plays. I would honestly bet that Marty even says to him before most plays "If no one's open, try to throw it away" or "If no one's open, try to run" depending on the formation.

3. 101GangGreen101

I think the coaching staff taught him HOW to run under certain situations, not WHEN to run. You can teach a player the proper way to scrabble and gain yards, but that doesn't mean they are restricting him or telling him not to run. Geno still drifts back in the pocket consistently and when he's had the opportunity to run, he hasn't taken advantage of it.

4. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Maybe you're right, but in that case I think Geno has done a pretty good job deciding when and when not to run. He already has 500 yards running and 7 running tds in his career. His scrambling ability has gotten better and he knows when to run and when not to, though it's debatable in most cases so maybe I'm wrong. Plus, he hasn't gotten hurt running, which is probably the best sign so far.

5. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Harvin is so fucking overrated as a wideout. He hasn't had one 1000+ yards his whole career. So if this is Geno major test then Idzik sucks even worse the I thought.

6. 101GangGreen101

I think his scrambling ability was better last year - but maybe that is because teams didn't have tape on him. There were times against the Pats where he could have really hurt the Patriots defense, maybe things improve going forward. I'm glad he hasn't gotten hurt either - one thing is for sure, you can't question Geno's toughness that guy can take a freaking hit.

7. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with Geno. Until the signing of harvin we were not equipped for this spread shotgun bullshit, although it did work against the weak New England D. We are built to run the football.

Formation is all on morning not Geno, try some I formations, power run formations; he's made zero adjustments.

8. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Disagree. Disagree strongly.

in 2011 he had 87 catches for 967 yards, just short of the 1,000 yard mark, but he also rushed the ball 52 times for 345 yards, for a total of 1,312 yards from scrimmage, good for 22nd in the league.

in 2012 he only played 9 games due to injury, but he put up 62 catches for 677 yards. Over a 16 game season that pace is a 110 catch, 902 yard season. He was on pace for another 128 yards rushing, which would have pushed him again over 1,000 yards from scrimmage.

The question with him is health, not whether or not he can perform as a focal point.

And I think that's an awesome position to put Geno in, because it leaves less to have to extrapolate/project with regards to whether or not he is the answer.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

When Marty was in Philly, they were in shotgun probably 60-70% of the time. Now in New York, it's closer to 90%. A big reason for that is the quarterback not being used to taking the ball under center. It's on Marty catering the offense to what Geno knows.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Test Grade:

[​IMG]

MsuJets likes this.
  11. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I have been a Jets fan before you were a thought. Winston is a piece of crap, and if you want more of those type of players on your team, maybe you and axel should get together.