Jets acquire Percy Harvin!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Oct 17, 2014.

1. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Finally got a chance to sit down and read this entire thread. Sometimes I honestly hate being a Jets fan, I really do. I was expecting majority praise of Idzik for this type of bold move, but of course, a good % of this thread is unhappy with it. You just really can't fucking win with this fanbase.

I keep reading throughout this thread this was a 'desperation' type move. Uh, no. How is it desperate to trade for a receiver who's locked up FOR NO GUARANTEED MONEY for the next 4 years? You're also aware that Idzik can restructure his contract too right? Lowering his cap # in exchange for more guaranteed coin in future years if he so desires. And guess what? Even if he doesn't, you cut him for no dead money (similar to the Revis/Bucs type deal) and all you give up is presumably a mid round pick.

When Harvin is healthy he is a SPECIAL talent. Great kick returner (Anyone else sick of seeing guys like Hakim/Powell fail to catch/fumble the fuckin ball?), something we haven't had since Leon Washington. He also can stretch the field vertically, another thing we haven't had since 09/10 with Braylon. He is a jack-of-all trade type WR; you can line him up outside, in the slot, run a sweep with him with his blazing speed.

He's only 26; this isn't trading for someone past his prime. You can make the case he hasn't even HIT his prime yet at that age.

Not only that, this gives Geno another weapon which will allow this front office to make an informed decision on whether he's the QB of the future.

All of this above for a freakin conditional pick. Now, there is some risk here, mainly the injuries and apparently this 'maintenance' type issue. With that said, all of the above I listed FAR outweigh the negative. This was a refreshing trade, something bold that I'm proud of Idzik for executing (and this is coming from someone who has bashed him for his drafting and failure to adequately address the WR/CB sitch this offseason). The fact he made this trade when we're 1-6 is completely irrelevant. He made this trade looking at this for the long-term. We now have 2 top receivers and an emerging TE to work with for the foreseeable future (and hopefully Kerley re-ups for the slot). That ain't bad folks.

Kudos Idzik. Kudos.

Br4d, Axel3419, MikeSLTJ23 and 11 others like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Does the receiver make the QB or the other way around? Moss had Brady throwing to him and that was magic. Harvin has Geno throwing to him and we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe it works, maybe it don't. If it don't work out, we part ways. Wouldn't be the first time a "name" Wr didn't work out in the Ryan Era.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Kudos to YOU my friend. Reading this thread last night was torture. This post was sorely needed.

4. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Im happy that the dude is here but i wont be confortable until i know whats the terms , cuz i suspect it can be something like if he is on our roster in 2015 we own em a 2nd round pick istead of a 4th and our 2nd round its a very high pick. Dude is legit no question if healthy one of the best. I hope they make a press conference about this so we can know all the details.

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Well there's a SLIGHT difference between the records of both organizations. Of course the Pats are going to get more of a benefit of the doubt than we are in player decisions. Just like in the NBA if the Spurs do something it's automatically brilliant while the Knicks can do the same thing and get criticized for it. Both franchises earned those assumptions. Like it or not success does play a role in public perception and rightly so.

6. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

That's fair. I would be surprised if the conditional pick didn't kick in till at least the '16 season, giving Percy the rest of this season and '15 to hit whatever incentive Idzik/Schneider laid out.

irishwhip03 likes this.
  7. tubby

tubby Active Member

For the people saying "Idzik is using this as a distraction to get people talking about something else" when has Idzik ever shown any notion of him caring what the media or fans think of him? It's a good move because it shows he's willing to make a bold move if he thinks it benefits the team (something most of you were complaining about when he didn't make a splash in FA but now all of a sudden it's a problem).

People complain that Geno has no weapons. Well now he does. If he sucks it up the last 9 games there's no excuses anymore and we can move on

Axel3419, irishwhip03 and rammagen like this.
  8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Public perception - sure. We are talking about so-called analysts who are supposed to evaluate a trade on its merit. That's my whole point: BSPN is nothing but a biased rumor mill and their employees are no more trustworthy than an average biased fan.

9. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Definitely helps the offense. I hope Seahawks don't come close to sniffing the 2nd round pick but Percy is going to come in and make some huge plays if healthy.
    The cap hit isn't going to change anything with how much space we have, and he'd probably be better then FA WRs and we get him now. Unless he starts punching people in the face like Seattle, Percy should be here the next 2 or 3 years and gives us our first big play threat at WR in a while.

10. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Axel3419 likes this.
  11. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

a second round pick for a young in his prime game changer is a deal I would every day of the week

Truth4U2 likes this.
  12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

13. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Ill say right here today that we'll all hate this deal...we'll want this clown gone just like we all couldn't wait for Holmes to leave

14. UtahGetMe2

UtahGetMe2 New Member

I really think that this is as much of a low risk potential "lightning in a bottle" move as it is an evaluation oppourtunity for Geno. This signing gives Idzik the ability to see how Geno reacts and performs with another weapon on the squad which will offer a head start for free agency and also the draft strategy.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Some people are saying the Jets obtained Percy to see how Geno performs with better skill players. I hope the reason they got him was to win games. Btw Randy was a great receiver before he paired with Brady.

16. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself

17. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

I agree with everything said here. Totally on point IMO.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is true, But Randy always had a pretty good QB getting him the ball too. Geno is not in either of those Qb's class YET. I dunno if this deal is gonna be a litmus test for Geno or not, but without an significant upgrade on the OLine, I doubt if the results will be accurate even with Harvin. Geno still can't drop back and pass, gets lousy protection and on occasion tries to make sugar out of dogshit which usually results in an INT.

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Jets fans are like battered wives... someone goes to hand us a gift and we flinch away and start mumbling to ourselves that it's a trick

Axel3419 and babyknight like this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'm not sure how people can ignore the guy has been with 3 teams in 5 years.

He wasn't happy on a Super Bowl winner and contender this year, you think he is going to put up with the Jets' disfunction?