Jets acquire Percy Harvin!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

If the Jets don't like Harvin, they can cut him after the season and only be out a 4th rounder. If he pans out, they give up a 2nd rounder for what they know to be an impact player, and still have him under contract through 2018. If it comes to that, I bet they bring Harvin down on his cap value by restructuring with a combination of a signing bonus and bonuses contingent on health.

This is a rare low risk high reward scenario, not to mention that the trade used leftover cap space fans have been complaining about at a position fans have been complaining about. Do Jets fans want the team to build a winning program or do they want to complain? I submit this thread as evidence that points to the latter.

jerseyjay14 and Axel3419 like this.
  2. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Problem you have is he is the 3rd highest paid receiver in the NFL yet over the last two years he has been hurt more than healthy, only has 15o receiving yards in seattle total, and his specialty play is a screen pass and a jet sweep. You don't spend $10+ a season for that.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It'll be interesting to see what the terms of the deal are. If it's a playing time deal then the Jets could get Harvin and have him play sparingly this year and give up only the lower pick. It'd be nice to see that kind of deal work for them for a change instead of against them. On the other hand if it's a 2nd or a 4th depending on whether he is on the roster on a specific date the chances that we're not happy in the end go up some. That's what happened to the Bucs with the Revis deal.

Axel3419 likes this.
  4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I'm gonna laugh my ass off when this guy gets put on IR next week,this was a pure desperation move by Idzik to save his job he must think he might be fired.I'm really not sure how I feel about this guy,he has a 10 mill cap number for next season but we couldn't pay Revis 12 mill?un fucking real this guy is so fragile and gets hurt on every play.I wanna love the move but I can't yet

TNJet likes this.
  5. 85inthehall

If this becomes a waste of $7 million this year and $7 million in rollover plus a draft pick Idzik should be fired because it mean he got played by Seattle. He does know that Harvin doesn't play corner right?

6. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

again not a true statement against the cap
    he is 6. I know a minor point but get the facts straight

1[​IMG]Mike Wallace at Wide Receiver$15,000,000
    2[​IMG]Andre Johnson at Wide Receiver$10,000,000
    3 Vincent Jackson at Wide Receiver$10,000,000
    4[​IMG]Dwayne Bowe at Wide Receiver$8,235,294
    5[​IMG]Brandon Marshall at Wide Receiver$7,300,000
    6[​IMG]Percy Harvin at Wide Receiver$7,117,648

Axel3419 likes this.
  7. rammagen

THAT'S RIGHT ROOT FOR YOUR TEAM TO FAIL

8. LongIslandBlitz

Let's not get attached to the big flashy name in "Percy Harvin" this guys injury history is as bad as Dee Millners.He's a great talent if he can stay healthy ,he could be a game changer or pure disaster it could go either way

9. LongIslandBlitz

Not rooting for anyone to fail but we are 1-6 we aren't gonna have a winning record and this move isn't gonna change that its to late.Idzik dropped the ball in free agency now he is scrambling to save face,Its like spilling milk on the rug and going back to clean it a month later,now its this hard ugly stain that can't be removed

10. 85inthehall

And for that reason you can't put that much money in him -- low risk high reward is $3million plus incentives.

11. 85inthehall

sorry make it his annual average cash value of his contract is $12.9 million a year -- 3rd in the league.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's no longer true. From the Jets perspective his deal is 5 years and $47 million with just the $6.47M this year guaranteed. The original deal he signed with Seahawks was for $12.9M a year but they have graciously taken $14.1M in dead money hits this year and next and Harvin's deal is now the 9th highest for a WR from the Jets perspective.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Really like how there's no dead money. Basically an easy out for the jets.

Solid deal, still concerned about what led Seattle to get rid of harvin. Not too worried though because again, the easy out.

Also Harvin will help everyone if he can stay on the field. Will basically make everyone else's job at receiver easier

almbleamal likes this.
  14. rammagen

haters dont let things like facts stand in their way

Axel3419 likes this.
  15. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

According to Ian Rappaport the Seahawks had been shopping Harvin for weeks because of "anger management issues". Sound familiar Jets fans?

16. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Y'know I just realized, we're only in a position to take this kind of gambit on because of how JI has managed the team.

if this this works out, and yeah thats a big if, but IF it does work out, its proof that the system works and his pickiness when it comes to commitment pays off. we can trade for a potential offensive answer because we have a good amount of space for it, and we're able to do it without any guarantees forthcoming to boot.

mind you, this could bomb, this could prove not to be worth it, and we'd be out a few million to carry over and 4th. but still any positives that can be gained from this trade has to go down as an Idzik win. its a risk, but one we could only take because we didn't commit elsewhere.

thats the thing with this guy, its not that he doesn't want to spend, its that he doesn't want to commit more than he has to. we lose out on guys like DRC because we have a stubborn GM, and that sucks, but theres positives to this mindset as well.

Burnz likes this.
  17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Love the media reaction.
    24 hrs ago: Seattle is the best team. Excellent D and stellar O lead by Wilson and Harvin
    6 hrs ago: Harvin traded to Jets. The 1st question out of their mouths "what's wrong with Harvin?!"
    1 hr ago: some unnamed sources tell that Harvin is a locker room cancer.

Collective sigh of relieve: everything is ok with our fantasy world. Wow, was a close one!

almbleamal and Ozymandias like this.
  18. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Too little too late.

19. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I hate this trade, sure he has speed but he's a fucking nut, has a history of fights with teammates/coaches and he's really not even that productive, oh well he's here so might as well make the best of it welcome to the Jets Harvin.

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

So many positives behind this move in the short-term and long-term.

Jets finally have a game breaker on offense that defenses have to game plan for. The attention Percy draws should domino into increased production from all other receivers. Percy+Decker should be enough to prevent opposing teams from stacking the box; so the run game should also improve. Percy provides a big upgrade on kickoff returns and will likely return punts when the game is on the line. One conditional pick from rounds 2-4 is a great deal for this much improvement.

Long-term, I feel that Percy's addition will bring closure to Geno's status as future starting Jets QB. Geno's no longer getting a mulligan because the talent around him sucks. If he doesn't impress the higher-ups after the Percy addition, I'm pretty sure QB becomes a high urgency need entering 2015 draft. In addition, a veteran QB would likely be a priority entering this offseason too. Lots of questions on the Jets future at QB will be resolved with Percy added to the mix. Also, the salary for Percy is NOT all guaranteed. So he should be motivated to play/impress the new coaching staff just to keep collecting those big checks. If this offense can "click" and become competent, this offseason will change dramatically.

Another long-term effect involves Rex & MM. If the coaching staff can't turn this offense into something decent now, then Idzik has the justification to clean house. Decisions regarding HC, OC, QB heading into offseason will be heavily influenced on production post-Percy this year.

=====
    If Percy flops, I think Izik cleans house and Jets start next season with new coaching staff, new QB. New schemes on offense & defense will likely mean another huge roster turnover also. If Rex can't pull this team together now to produce some wins, then I'm sure a lot of the pro-Rex crowd will also agree he should be gone.

#680 ajax, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    almbleamal and Axel3419 like this.