Jets acquire Percy Harvin!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Oct 17, 2014.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 48m
    Russell Wilson had a Total QBR of 45.3 with Percy Harvin on the field this season, and a QBR of 71.0 with him off the field.

2. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

LOL...no shit...Sadly enough...I am one slot down from a CIO...hard to find gigs out there like that...it'll all work out...just kills me to see the same parallel playing out with my team. Rex may not be the apple in most people's eye...but he surely deserves better than this...and I'll tell you. I don't know Rex personally...but I do know people who are friends with him and they've told me...he goes out like this and he will make it his personal mission in life to beat the hell out of the Jets every chance he gets... For some those may be words...but I believe them. Lord help us if he goes to a team like Buffalo...which could EASILY happen.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

haha what a bunch of fucking cry babies. If you were my dog I'd kick you.

When the Jets are tearing the NFL a new asshole next season starting with the opener no one (except Jet fans on TGG) will be bitching that Idzik waited until game 7 of the 2014 season to 'acquire' one of the most dynamic WRs in the league.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  4. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Does not change my mind what so ever on Idzik. Still gotta go.

Seattle clearly did not want him, it was a matter of calling, any GM could have made this move, we just made it first lol

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

We'll see about that. Sorry but Megatron wasn't available. So we got Percy Harvin which isn't exactly chopped liver. These are the same guys who probably ripped the Jets when we got Decker. The bottom line though : Decker is a helluva player. So is Harvin.

freemantoon likes this.
  6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

So the source is a Houston talk show host... Cool, must be true.

almbleamal and freemantoon like this.
  7. mezzavo

Pfffft...put down the bong, place the brownies back in the oven...since when have the NY Football Jets EVER teared asshole? Hell, in their best seasons they were merely good...I've never heard a Jets team referred to as Elite...which is what I would equate "tearing assholes" to. LOL!!

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

mezzavo likes this.
  9. mezzavo

Love it!!!!!!!!

God, where I work...a TPS Report would be a step UP! LOL!!!

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Don't know how it'll work out, but my bet is that Rex will be here for at least full 2015, with updated roster. If THAT doesn't go, then all bets are off.
    And yes, I heard that too. Rex is very passionate and if he is fired in what he takes as unfair manner, he will take less $$ to go to a place like Buffalo and will make it his personal mission to stick it. Note that no matter how good Pats are, Rex's Jets are playing them very tough for the most part. Now imagine Jets are the target of his venom.... it won't be pretty.

11. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

that is why I stayed technical and did not go the management route. I will manage my 54 servers and help out the agents when I can and give training :)

mezzavo likes this.
  12. rammagen

I think that is woody is scared of

13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I prefer working with machines as well. Unfortunately the $$ are on the management side.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Wall of text in a few days no doubt but the short version is:

1. The offense has killed the Jets this season. Adding a playmaker is exactly what they needed for the second half of the season.

2. Is Percy Harvin going to be able to stay on the field? He's been injury prone so far in his NFL career and he's reportedly battling a thigh issue now.

3. The trade of a 2nd round pick for a 26 year old play maker is not a bad thing if the guy is a star. Is Harvin still capable of being a star player in the NFL?

4. The trade of a 4th round pick as a stopgap move would be bad. The Jets really need Harvin to prove his worth and be a major contributor moving forward.

5. Rex is not a dead coach walking. Not yet anyway. You don't make this kind of move mid-season on a failing team if you're planning to fire the coach at the end of the season. Rex may still get fired if the Jets can't reverse things at this point but Harvin gives him a ray of hope on that front.

6. The Jets could use Harvin sparingly until the bye, giving him time to recover from the thigh injury that's bothering him. Assuming he passes the physical they have a full week to evaluate his physical condition and decide how they'll use him for the next month. He could sit out the Bills game and have 17 days to recuperate if that's the best way to go.

7. The cap ramifications of the deal are not that big. The Jets gave up $6.5M of their cap surplus this year to make the deal. That's not breaking the bank to get Harvin. If they wind up keeping him, well his $10.5M next year will slot into the most available cap space in the NFL. The Jets cap number next year at this point is $97M including the $10.5M for Harvin.

I have no doubt that the same people criticizing the Jets for not spending their cap space will also find ways to criticize them for making this deal. Critics! What are you gonna do?

15. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

The Jets are known for tearing their own asshole, does that count?

RubenDias and mezzavo like this.
  16. rammagen

depends on where you are at. I work for a cloud solutions provider that is based on both coasts. I work hard but I make decent money esp in Atalanta as compared to south florida where I was before this. I think it just depends on what your goals are and what you are happy with. I know if my cio leaves or if my manager leaves I will be third on the list to be tagged to go with them. So I have the security of that plus I choose how I support my area. I am just responsible for that and making sure the agent know how to fix common issues. I provide support for 41k clients for mail and make more then enough for my wife to work part time and still enjoy the better things (vacations eating out concerts). I admit not as much as my manager but with the cost of living here I am more then comfortable and don't have to deal with his daily grind of meetings and paperwork.

mezzavo likes this.
  17. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Here is how this can go down:
    1) Spend $7 million this year and a draft pick to bring in a player that is injured, doesn't help the offense, and doesn't click. Basically burn $7million for 9 games and lose the $7million in rollover money. Basically Idzik was used to allow Seattle to dump salary and looks like a fool with a chance to lose his job.
    2) Harvin stays healthy and contributes a bit on special teams and has a good game or two catching the ball. They try to renegotiate his deal since his $10million cap hits for the next 4 years are insane. Basically he costs the $17million of their $20 million from this season ($7million of lost rollover and $10 million next)
    3) Harvin stays healthy but isn't involved enough, becomes a distraction, and costs Rex and Idzik their jobs.

How often is a 24 year old traded in his prime followed by the same player being traded 2 years later? He is the epitome of great talent never living up ti his potential. Just seems like a lot of money they could have used to try and get one of the top #1 receivers coming free next season or fill multiple needs in FA. Harvin is a nice to have - not a #1 receiver. He needs to be a focal point of the offense and that has not work consistently in Minnesota or Seattle even after Seattle didn't bring back Tate. He is a better receiver than Harvin.

TNJet likes this.
  18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about the trade. It makes Idzik appear somewhat schizophrenic and doesn't appear to fit the strategy of building through the draft. The timing is also suspect. I know one thing, though. If the Pats made this trade, the acquisition of Harvin for a mud round draft pick would be viewed as brilliant and Belichick would be lauded for fleecing the Seahawks. It would be Randy Moss 2.0 , print the SB tickets blah blah blah. Because the Jets made the trade, the Jet hating NFL media label it desperation, Harvin is trouble, etc. Maybe Seattle didn't want to trade him to a team they would potentially face in January? I'm willing to give it a chance, but it does sidetrack the "blow it up and start over " mentality I had accepted this week.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Harvin was brought in by the Seahawks to get over the top and win a Super Bowl. They accomplished that goal with some contributions by him to that effort but not many. The contract he signed with them was signed before he missed most of the 2013 season with an injury. In 2015 and moving forward they have major cap issues to deal with. They decided to bite the bullet and make the deal this season because they could absorb half the dead money hit now in 2014 with the space they had available. As a result they only take a $7.2 million hit in 2015 and none at all in 2016 when they're really under the gun against the cap.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member