More Colts Whining/Polian attacks Jets employee (MERGED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sundayjack, Oct 6, 2006.

1. mem_reddog

mem_reddog New Member

Also it's not like the ref's will stop the playclock, so the defense can get their men on the field. So is the offense supposed to take a playclock penalty while waiting on the defense. The NFL should not be so shady with the rules.

2. GreenMachine

How about a penalty for a DB faking an injury to stop the clock...ala Jets-Colts?

3. Ibleedgreen18

Ibleedgreen18 New Member

Of all people to complain how can the colts?

Isn't half of their no huddle offense and the no huddle in general in place to catch defenses off guard? Manning rushes to the ball to snap a play often when the D is setting up or making subs...

I understand that having 20 men on the field right before the snap and having them run off before hand in order to catch the D with the wrong personal or too many men is perhaps unethical to some....but it is not something that should be penalized....its keeping the defense off guard...and is probably putting the offense at a disadvantage too...how many false starts do you think would happen if you had in like 14 guys than had 3 run off just before you snap the play...I dont think what pennington did was anywhere near that example...he did what manning always does....saw an unprepared D and rushed a play to catch them off guard.

How can you hold one team to a different set of rules just because of who their qb is....or who their qbs dad is?

The contact that dbs can have was changed for the fragile colts recievers as well...because the colts complained about the pats dbs and had the rulebook changed...its football....contact happens...but if you are peyton manning....i guess not.

For the colts to complain about that rule is very hypocritial because they take advantage of unprepared defenses more than any other team, and that was all chad did...chad did not abuse that rule...he saw an unprepared team and capitalized....plain and simple...

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but at this point it does look like bs and I'm just waiting for the NFL to get rid of tackling so peyton can win a sb.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

from the rulebook:

Substitutes may not enter the field while the ball is in play. Any entering offensive substitute who participates in a play must enter while the ball is dead and must move onto the field as far as the inside of the field numerals; in addition, the player or players replaced must have cleared the field on their own side (between end lines) prior to the snap or free kick.

There can never be 12 or more players in the offensive huddle.

Note: While in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line and snapping the ball with the obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul; i.e., too many men on the field. If in the judgment of the officials this takes place, the following procedure will be applied:

1) If the play takes place and a defensive foul results, the flag will be picked up and the down replayed. At this time, the Referee will notify the head coach that any further use of this tactic will result in an unsportsmanlike penalty being assessed.

Note: Covering official(s) will extend both arms horizontally to indicate that substitutions have been made. Also, the same quick-snap rule will not be applicable in the last two minutes of either half.

2) On a fourth down punting situation, the Referee and the Umpire will not allow a quick snap which would prevent the defense from having a reasonable time to complete their substitutions. This will apply throughout the entire game.

Penalty: For illegal substitution: Loss of five yards:
    1) From previous spot if the ball was in play. Number of down and necessary line to gain remains the same
    • a) withdrawn player on field at snap or free-kick;
    • or
    • b) clearing field on opponents' side or across end line (whether violation is discovered during down, or at end of down); or
    2) From succeeding spot if between downs and ball remains dead:
    • a) 12 or more players in huddle (Blow whistle immediately).

5. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Manning has been doing that to defenses for how long now? And now that its been done to them they complain? Jesus.

6. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

rules are black and white. there isn't any "spirit" in them. dungy is a bitch, plain and simple. when it is in his favor, it is all well and good. almost get beaten by the jets at your own game, and now we have to invoke spirited rules that will help peyton and co....dungy can blow me.

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I agree with you and mem_reddog and KOWIE - the rules should be enforced as written, and if you don't like the way they're written change them during the offseason. And of course I agree that Dungy comes off as a whiny little girl in all of this. We can only imagine what he would have been saying if the Jets had actually won the game.

8. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

I never cared because it seemed unrelated, but Dungy should eetad!k and quit whining!!!!!BIG BABY!

9. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

HarHarHar. . .

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Suck it Indy.

[​IMG]

Suck it long, and suck it hard.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Fox just reported that Colts GM Bill Polian "jacked up" a Jets employee in the tunnel before last week's game, complaining that the speakers in the stadium were too close to the Colts' bench. Tannenbaum has contacted the league office to see if there is any recourse for the team.

You know, I never really hated the Colts (they were responsible for my fondest football memory, after all), but I sure am developing a nice loathing for them now. Could there possibly be a whiner franchise in pro sports?

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

They might be #1 in the whine department. Did you hear Polian getting interviewed by Mike & The Mad Dog after the Steelers loss?

13. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Here's the article.

Colts GM Polian accosts Jets official
    Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 11 minutes ago

When Colts GM Bill Polian placed defensive tackle Corey Simon on non-football injured reserve this week for an unknown illness it drew raised eyebrows around the league. As it turns out, that was not Polian's most questionable move in the last seven days.

Polian accosted a New York Jets official in the tunnel of Giants Stadium prior to last week's game, several sources and people present on the scene told FOXSports.com. The Jets have notified the NFL front office to ask what options they have and what action they can take if any.

According to the sources, Polian was upset that speakers were set up too close to the field. After voicing his displeasure, a Jets operations employee talked to Polian about the issue. It's unclear what transpired between the two but Polian eventually grabbed the Jet by the lapels of his suit jacket and jacked him up against the wall of the tunnel.

The team employee, who was quite shaken up by the fiasco, sought out GM Mike Tannenbaum about the matter. Tannenbaum then raised the issue with the league office in defense of the team's employee. It is unclear what action if any the Jets or the league can take in the matter but as one Jets source said, "You should have the right to a safe workplace without worrying that somebody is going to put his hands on you."

It's also unclear if Polian reacted upon getting provoked or Polian overreacted without much prompting.

The story quickly circulated throughout the Jets complex this week and many were appalled by Polian's actions.

Calls to Tannenbaum on Saturday evening as well as calls to Bill Polian's cell phone were not returned.

When contacted regarding the situation, the NFL's spokesman Greg Aiello said he was unaware of the situation and the league would have no comment regarding matters with teams.

It's unclear what the two men said to each other but regardless, Polian should not put his hands on an employee of another team or any man for that matter. Given his position in the league, it makes his actions even more questionable.

What is also unclear, since such matters seem rare in this league, is if any action will be taken by the league office or if Polian should simply issue an apology. According to others inside the Jets, the team employee who was accosted was quite upset by the incident.

14. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Oh my god. That is ridiculous.

You know, all these years I rooted for the Colts largely because the weren't the New England Patriots, now with these consecutive incidents, there is no way in hell.

15. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

See me in my office next time. I'll rid you of this sort of wrong-headedness. Bill Polian is, and always has been, a whiney bitch. If he's not reprimanded over this latest incident, I'll have to take drastic steps - an angry TGG thread!

16. Pam

I dispise the Colts, always have. Let's see how the NFL handles this. Anyone wanna bet nothing will come of this because it's the Colts and not, let's say for instance, the lowly Jets?

You can bet your sweet patootie if it was the other way around, the Jets would be paying fines already.

17. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

:rofl:

Well, i wasn't given much of a choice. Bill Belichick and the Pats, or Bill Polian or and the Colts.

Go Chargers! :smile:

18. Pam

Here here! Frump..frump..frump :rofl:

19. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

They are the excuse machine..and thats the reason they havent won a thing..and will never.

During their undefeated run...wasnt in Polian that said running the table isnt important? Even if he is correct..they always do a great job at two things.

Setting up the public for their letdown..and bitching about others doing the same things that have helped them succeed.

Winning teams just win....and shut their traps.

It would be like the guy that invented the wheel complaining that the next guy made his too round.

Nonsense.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Colts | Polian accosts Jets official prior to Week 4 game
    Sun, 8 Oct 2006 10:06:48 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Indianapolis Colts general manager Bill Polian accosted a New York Jets official in the tunnel of Giants Stadium prior to the Week 4 game, according to several sources and people present on the scene. The sources claim Polian was upset with speakers that were set up too close to the field. Polian voiced his displeasure and a Jets operations employee talked to Polian about the issue. It is unknown what happened between the two but Polian grabbed the employee by the lapel of his suit jacket and jacked him up against the wall of the tunnel. The team has notified the NFL front office and is looking to see what options they have and what action they can take.