Thursday Night Football off of Bye

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I've seen this idea come up a couple times and I really like it. Thursday Night Football is an absolute disgrace to the league and it's not even remotely fair for the 2 teams that get stuck in it.

This Sunday, the Cardinals and Broncos face each other, having both come off of their Bye week. That means both of those teams have 13 days to prepare for each other, while the Vikings and Packers each had 3. Now, if the ARI/DEN game was put on TNF, then each team would get a completely reasonable 10 days to prepare for each other, while the Vikings and Packers get a normal week.

But that's not fair, it takes away the advantage of their Bye week! Nope, in addition to getting a 10 day prep week, they get another 10 day prep week as they come off the TNF game for their next Sunday game.

Doing TNF games off Bye would increase the quality of the games drastically, and would actually make them, I don't know, fair or watchable. Each game has been at least a 20 point blowout this year and this game looks well on its way to being another.

dawinner127 likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this makes too much sense,
    it will never happen

Brook!, JetLifeLo and Big Cat like this.
  3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Good idea. Next best thing to getting rid of it.

Brook! and JetLifeLo like this.
  4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

are we 0-2 on thursday night football? i can only think of losing to tebow and NE last year,

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Roger Goodell has red hair.

Jetfan76 likes this.
  6. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Well following the patten someone will get blown out but since both teams suck there might be a tie.

7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

We won in NE in 2008 with Favre (No Brady) to get to 7-3.

edit: We also won @Buffalo (game was in Canada) in 2009 and we beat the Bengals at home on Thanksgiving night in 2010.

8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

damn i forgot about the favre game... that woulda been a classic had brady played... that tip toe catch by moss in crunch time was crazy though.

9. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Arent all, or most the Thursday night games division games? I guess the NFL thinks if they do that it will mean more ratings. Cause ya know the NFL has to worry about ratings.

The talent level between the teams has been the worst problem though. Next weeks game Colts at Houston should be better hopefully.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

First take just had a good segment on it, Bayless brought up all the games from last season how pretty much all the games were close and good. (Jets-Pats, San Diego beating Denver, etc)

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2013/TNF

I think the games are just currently matchup problems. Ponder starting killed that game, it doesnt matter what day the game was on, it was going to end up a blow out.

Next week this trend should end, Colts @ Houston.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They've always been terrible games. Just because in the last couple years they were closer games does not mean they were good games. The quality of football being played on these thursday games with the short week are atrocious. They should do away with them completely.

TNJet likes this.
  12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Agreed, I would get rid of MNF and SNF to, but obviously that will never happen. Just keep it down to 6 hours of football a week.....

TNJet likes this.
  13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

And I dont think the actual football on the field is that waterered down, its the gameplans, the scheming, the X and Os, teams are not adjusting in these games. It seems like the coaches are unprepared and whoever walks in with the winning formula just runs away with the game because the opposing coach doesnt have time to prepare a proper plan for every situation that arises.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm fine with SNF, that should be the showcase game of the week. All these other primetime games are stupid and greedy. Saturday Night Football is making a cameo later this season too. Yay.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am not sure I get the hate for TNF. It actually will work for me since I am going on a golf/outdoors weekend and won't be home til mid afternoon Sunday the weekend of Pats/Jets. So I get to watch the game Thursday with some buds and go up to play golf the next morning. Works for me.

16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Sunday morning football is making a cameo to also.

Big Cat likes this.
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Better yet, this was what I was thinking

Monday night football -> Bye -> Thursday night football -> return to the cycle.

Two prime-time football, for extended prep time.

18. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I would take Saturday games over Thursday, but college football doesn't allow that to happen. Thursday is just stupid.

19. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

This is probably the best idea I've heard in a while. Unfortunetly, this league is rigged for the most part so that would only increase the integrity of the game and Roger Goodell says fuck your integrity.

20. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

I for one don't mind TNF, gives thursday a new face