Geno Smith Sucks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm still not getting what you're saying.

Competition isn't what Geno needs.

He needs valid coaching and wide open receivers.

BakerMaker and NJBeliever like this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm not concerned about what Geno needs. I'm concerned about what the team needs, which is for the best players to play. Not sure why this would be new to anyone, I thought competition was our mantra.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hey...all I'm saying is that Geno ain't ready to carry this offense.
    We just need to move the chains and not turn the ball over.
    Do that and we win most games.

NJBeliever likes this.
  4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Just a few posts up, you agree that he's getting better but at the same time you want to pull the plug after just a year and four games. SMH. It's interesting that you mention Alex Smith, because if you were a Niners fan five years ago, you'd probably be one of the guys who decided that he sucked too.

Geno isn't the reason we're 1-3. Some of you guys act like we have a SB caliber roster and he's dragging everyone down. YES --- He deserves his share of the blame for a handful of bad throws, but there are plenty of other reasons to point to as well. A couple of missed throws, some crucial drops, questionable play calling, stupid penalties, a big defensive stop, a big play on special teams, or God forbid -- a takeaway ... any of these could have changed the outcomes of the last three games. There's no way I'm going to lay everything at the feet of a 2nd year QB. That's just ridiculous.

BakerMaker and FJF like this.
  5. legler82

There's a NFL team out there that will certainly be drafting a QB in next year's draft probably in the first round even though they have a 2nd year QB with the the numbers below in 14 starts. Can you guess the team and the QB? And do you know why they feel the need to draft a QB?

CMP% 59.1
    YDS 3,031
    TDs 22
    INTs 10

6. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

It's Mike Glennon (I cheated because I like the Bucs too.), and Lovie Smith was a fucking idiot for not starting him this season. He proved that last week. Glennon is a Game Manager, but he is an NFL caliber Game Manager. Mark Sanchez was a Game Manager, but he wasn't an NFL one, he was a college one.

The whole term "Game Manager" needs to stop being used in a negative way either way though. You can win a Super Bowl with a great game manager. Russell Wilson is a Game Manager. Brady when he was winning Super Bowls was. Chad Pennington was and Jet fans seem to like him. Game Manager has been used as a derogatory term meaning "Not a good passer.", when in reality it means "conservative with the football.", which isn't a bad thing. If Brett Favre was more of a game manager he would have more then one Super Bowl. Same deal with Dan Marino. Peyton Manning is one of the best 3 QB's ever and in reality he is just a Game Manager. Doesn't take a ton of deep shots. Conservative with his passes. Audibles to safe plays often. It's gotten him far though.

The Bucs either way won't be drafting a QB next year, atleast not in rounds 1, 2, or 3. They have too many other glaring needs. Offensive Line is the biggest. Defensive End. Outside Linebacker. Running Back. Corner. QB is about their 7th most important need right now. The Jets are the same way. WR, Safety, and Guard are all much bigger needs right now then QB. We need to fix those 1st.

7. legler82

The Bucs will most certainly be drafting or bringing in another QB via FA to "compete" for the job. It's obvious despite the solid numbers, they are not completely sold on Glennon. My point is not to say Glennon is good, but just to show the plight of a QB not drafted in the first; with the new rookie wage scale we may have change that to not drafted in the top 10. It's a constant struggle to prove you deserve the job, even when you are relatively playing well by most common metrics. If you are not one of those QBs drafted high in the draft, you either have to be putting up really really good numbers and/or you team is winning with you behind center. In the case of Geno neither is happening, yet fans, the Jets FO/coaches and the media continue to treat him like high draft pick. What is so special about Geno that warrants this preferential treatment that nearly every other QB drafted in the 2nd round or later hasn't gotten in the last 20+ years? I don't get it and waiting for someone to explain it.

cval likes this.
  8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

For the people who are adamant that Geno needs, under all circumstances, to be given more time (perhaps even the full season, regardless of his performance) to develop, I have a question:

Why is it that benching Geno is looked at as giving up on him? There have been a plethora of quarterbacks who have been benched early in their careers, who subsequently went on to have great success. Why is the argument being defined in the artificially restrictive terms: "Commit to developing Geno as the future OR start Vick and look for your future QB later?" Considering Vick's well-documented propensity for injuries, isn't it very plausible that, even if Geno gets benched in the next game or two, he will still get a chance later in the season, regardless of how Vick actually plays?

#168 slimjasi, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  9. mute

mute Well-Known Member

now that you mention that I just remembered to never take Rex P.C seriously. This means that if Geno shits the bed on Sunday he will bring in Vick.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The problem is the coaching staff or GM screwed this up. You do what Tampa did you start the Vet then go to the young guy when he is ineffective hurt or out of the playoff race. We did it backwards as usual.

legler82 likes this.
  11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Curious for anyone who has access for those advanced stats.

Geno obviously has a lot of brutal INT's. Does anyone know how many INT's he's thrown when targeting Decker or Kerley? I'm curious if Geno gets nervous when Decker/Kerley arent options and he forces bad throws.

12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The one thing I notice is that most of his picks are the result of throws that are late and over the middle. He also definitely gets tunnel vision. That throw to Nelson in the end zone in the Chicago game was a prime example.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Must be nice to have Vincent Jackson, solid offensive line and running game. Vincent played out of his mind last season. With Evans out for the next couple of weeks should be interesting to see how Glennon performs. Evans has been solid for the Bucs.

14. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Jets jumped on the start the rookie QB bandwagon of the last few years. Most QBs aren't ready to go in year 1.

15. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

I didn't about the 6 and 0...was only referring to the year when they went to SB.

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I was saying Geno Smith sucks two months before we drafted him. As soon as a heard someone say the Jets might pick him I've been yelling NO! The night we drafted him I changed my avatar to the current one. It only took 18 months for other people to catch on.

17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

What he needs is a new set of glasses, he has no vision..

18. TheSHRIKE81

TheSHRIKE81 Member

He's got a great throw but it's hard watching him when he's not seeming to get any better. And having him pretty much 100% out of shotgun is ridiculous too. Luckily he was only a 2nd round pick.

19. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

He gets nervous when I am not in the room watching the game... I'm sick of this shit.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think it's football smarts I think it's vision and reaction time. I think Geno has a gunslinger's physical tools but he's a half second late to the party too often and those throws are enough to sink him and the Jets offense.

I've seen him make the right read and then hesitate and make the throw a half second late too often at this point. Not sure what he can do to correct that but he's not going to make it unless he can throw the ball without hesitation on every throw he makes. There's no room for think twice and then make the throw at the NFL level. You have to see your guy and let it go and then you have to be both accurate with the throw and correct in the decision you made.

All it takes is two or three bad decisions/throws a game and you're not an NFL QB.

Let me just qualify this a little bit. Brett Favre never played a game in which he didn't make bad decisions and throws. However he made a bunch of good decisions and throws and every now and then he made a bad decision but the throw was so good he got the TD anyway.

If Geno got to the point where he was good for 30 TD passes a year then obviously throwing 20 picks is a problem that you can live with as long as the team is winning. He's got to get to the point where his positives significantly outweigh his negatives. So far we have no evidence that he's capable of that, although we've had a tantalizing glimpse now and then.