the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You are blasting us into reality. Good post

All we seem to draft is Defensive wonderboys. Heck, take some risks on and deal for a Cooks and dare I say it...Bridegewater or Garrappolo for future QB insurance????!

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am not afraid to judge Idzik (grade B) and your analysis of the man is excellent..

As a CPA representing me Idzik is careful, precise, rigid to combat an Audit.

He needs to improve as much as Geno in being able to be flexible, plan B etc. reactive, decide quickly to counter other offers and negotiate successfully for the talent out there!

3. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

moving to a new thread...

#403 al_toon_88, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The clown show continues.

5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Actually this is the best comment I've read today. We lost some good GM prospects just because of Rex. Idzik is a money guy and that is what Woody likes, so no one should be supprised by the signings or lack of. I say give the GM and Coaching Staff the boot and bring in a football guy who has the right to hiring any coach he likes.

6. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

So the guy is brought in to a really bad team with a bunch of aging untalented players and given the task to rebuild for the future. And now, in just his 2nd year, so many fans (and some in the media) are trashing him using a bunch of bullshit arguments. Now, none of us know yet whether Idzik is gonna succeed or fail, either outcome is possible at this point, but it's way too early right now to pass judgement on him. I just want to talk about some of these retarded arguments I keep seeing:

- Idzik didn't address our holes in the receiving corp in the offseason: OK, in one offseason, we signed the WR widely regarded as the best available in this offseason (Eric Decker) with a good deal, we drafted one of the best tight ends available in the draft in the 2nd round (and he's looking pretty good right now, despite being underused), and then we drafted 3 more receivers in the draft, some relatively high, and brought in Patrick Ford to compete with several receivers we already had, including a former 2nd round pick they wanted to give one last chance to (Stephen Hill). This is all in one offseason. What the hell did you expect him to do, spend most of our cap to bring in several high priced WRs when we didnt even know whether we had a franchise QB or not? Get real.

- Idzik didn't address our problems in the secondary: Again, they had to give the #1 CB spot to Milliner, so the only thing they could've done is bring in another quality corner and a free safety. What did they do? They drafted a safety in the first round, and a quality corner in the 3rd round, then also brought in Patterson, who actually when he was healthy, played pretty well in the past, and had no history of doing weird shit. They also drafted another corner in the 6th, and brought some others in to compete in training camp. Now, we've had a lot of bad luck with the secondary, McDougle out for the year, Milliner constantly hurt, and Patterson going nuts. Also Pryor hasn't panned out so far as a free safety, but that pick was most likely on Rex. But the point is, Idzik has done a lot to address the secondary. What do you think what happen to any team if they lost their top 3 corners to injuries/shenanigans? Imagine Seattle without Sherman, Maxwell, and whoever their third best corner is. And to people whining about DRC or Revis, Idzik's primary goal isn't to win now, it's to build a sustainable contender, so how would paying huge contracts to overrated DRC or washed up Revis contribute to this? DRC doesn't even look that good on the Giants a lot of the time, in Rex's man-to-man coverage he'd likely be a pariah here by now. On top of which, luck is luck, if we signed DRC or Revis and they got injured instead of Milliner/McDougle, how would that be any different?

- Idzik doesn't spend our cap, he must be some kind of cheapskate trying to save Woody money: However you feel about Woody, do you really believe he doesn't want the team to do well? The better the team does, the more money he makes, so this is just a retarded thought process. Why should Idzik go out and spend the money every time some of it is available? That's what Tanenbaum used to do and how did that work out for us? We had a tiny window of a couple of years, didn't even make it to the Superbowl, and then became terrible. If you notice most teams that win the Superbowl are ones that are build to be successful over time and not some flash in the pan. There's nothing that I've seen so far that shows me that Idzik isn't willing to spend the money when he believes it will improve the team long term, see Decker signing. He's just unwilling to throw it away on short term panic moves, which in my opinion is the right way to go for a GM.

- Idzik is terrible at drafting: Ok, we've had 2 drafts under him so far, and I admit, they don't look great right now, although obviously it's very early. Still, we did get a defensive rookie of the year and what looks like an outstanding player in Richardson, a servicable full back in Bohannon, so even if Geno and Winters and Milliner don't pan out, it's still not a complete waste of a draft. This year's draft, Amaro is looking pretty good, and somebody like Dozier or IK might still emerge later on. But more importantly, check this out (possibly with some booze handy): http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/draft.htm
    This is our draft history, and as you can see, Idzik is pretty much par for the course. I do think Idzik has to become more in charge of the draft process, because some of our picks that don't look so good right now seem to have Rex written all over them, like taking Pryor when our need was a free safety, or taking Milliner with his medical history. But overall, Idzik's not worse than his predecessors when it comes tot he draft, and might even improve as he gets more experience and gets his own people in.

So the bottom line is, a lot of the whining is just a knee jerk response to us doing worse than people thought. Given Idzik a chance to do his thing over a reasonable time-span, and if the team sucks then, feel free to call for his ouster. But until then, stop whining.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You've just made one helluva case as to why we should hate John Idzik. If this is your idea of a defense, Law isn't a career option for you. For the most part, pointing out all of Idzik's misses just reinforces all the reasons why Idzik might not be the best GM for this market. Now if you want to reach for reasons why Idzik's decisions have all been solid ones, be my guest. I've always felt that Idzik was going to let 2014 play itself out and make a big splash in 2015. Now if that doesn't work out, then what?

Keep in mind that this fanbase hasn't played a SB since the Vietnam War. Slow and Steady might be great in the Pacific NW, but on the East Coast, we're more results oriented. We tend to want results in a much shorter time frame.

Woody is a businessman and by that, I mean money trumps everything. Yeah, I would imagine Woody is estatic over how much cash was saved. This is a man that famously quoted "You can never have enough Tebow". He's got a lot of PT Barnum in him so yeah, I think he puts profit over wins.

#407 Cman68, Sep 29, 2014
    Jets69 likes this.
  8. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I give Idzik a pass year 1 since he inherited a capped out, depth lacking team from Mr. T but the drafting is what is turning me off with him. I don't mind not overpaying players in FA but you have to at least acquire some talent from FA besides a Decker or Johnson. Dimitri Patterson was not the answer, nevermind his health issues.

You can't cut a 4th round pick 4 games into his first season after missing time with a seizure. That's silly. Its 1 gaff for special teams and we're cutting a kid for that? So many players have made mistakes on this team, you're going to hold it against the kid because he's a 4th round, expendable rookie? That's bullshit. You expect to at least hang onto your 4th and 5th round picks for at least ONE full season, not just cut them like they mean absolutely nothing to you. That's inexcusable.

Again drafts need time to be reevaluated but you can't just cut mid round picks so soon and think that's okay. We basically swapped an early 4th round pick in Saunders for a mid 6th round pick in Powell, I might not be good at math but that doesn't add up.

Jets69 likes this.
  9. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

It's Jacoby Ford.

Best receiver draft in years. Top-flight All-American cornerbacks available. And he gets neither. He blew it.

The guy is just in way over his head.

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  10. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Idzik sucks.

BleedGreen89 and Jets69 like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Idzik has been way over his head. Can't scout, questionable FA acquisitions.

It's tough to like anyone in the Jets organization right now.

#411 101GangGreen101, Sep 29, 2014
    Jets69 likes this.
  12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

How is the criticism unfair?he drafted Geno Smith,he drafted D millner,he drafted Mcdougle,he didn't want to bring Revis back or sign anyone at corner,he didn't spend free agency wisely,he wasted a pick on Jalen Saunders.He signed Patterson then cut him .Trust me Idzik def deserves some blame here

13. Geno007

No way. Not Idzik he built the Seahawks super bowl team.

Jets69 likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He gets unfair criticism because he needs more time really. I've supported him but he shouldn't be supported nor discouraged at this point because he's really only had one offseason to maneuver without cap problems.

His draft looks bad now but drafts can't be judged 4 weeks into their rookie seasons. If this were the case most drafts by all 32 NFL teams would look atrocious.

15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

The one great value pick we made got snagged up by the jaguars. Even they have a better eye for prospects than us. How pathetic is that.

16. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Teddy Bridgewater.

_

17. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

How much money did they blow on CJ2K and Vick? I was fine with those signings, but considering how they are being utilized, and the fact that the team is so weak at CB and WR, it looks horribly incompetent in retrospect.

This really isn't a rebuilding team. The defense with more talent at CB could be the best in the league. I think with another WR in addition to Decker, Geno would look a whole lot better.

It's great to talk about rollover money and rebuilding...but flags fly forever and this defense with a few more players would be good enough to carry a team to the playoffs at least.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Idzik couldn't build a house out of legos

Jets69 and legler82 like this.
  19. Geno007

He would be to slow answering the door to get the Lego's.

Jets69 likes this.
  20. bnots13

bnots13 Active Member

Great post man. The fact of the matter is you're never going to change the opinion of the knee-jerk reaction morons so I wouldn't even bother.

rohirrim665 likes this.