The Official Fire Rex Thread is here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 22, 2014.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

People don't remember "cap hell" well. Now we have money, and ppl want us to dump it on bad investments again. The open of the schedule has been tough and we certainly are off to a bad start, but I think it's a far cry to blame coaching. Building, it's a lot better than 2011 & '12 where the offense literally could not move the chains. It's better than last season too. Few bad mistakes, but not near the worst and you see the issues at corner, Johnson not getting it done, ivory not getting enough. Run the ball

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Smith Fans watch him throw into triple coverage and their response? Downgrade the OC's prior history.

As far as Andy not going to KC, you are pulling it out of your hiney hole as to why he didn't go. Maybe he didn't want to go. You have no idea. If you have a source, post the link.

What is your opinion on whether the ball boys are also holding Smith back. I'd love to know.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

All OCs have some sort of flaw and make mistakes. Marty is still more than likely the best coordinator the Jets have seen in years.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Marty's #1 flaw is assuming Geno can handle all the stuff he gives him. He can't.

5. 101GangGreen101

Marty's true flaw is his close yardage play-calling. Marty, specifically on Monday night I think tried to gain more trust in Geno and Geno failed. Especially after the Timeout against the Packers - Marty is trying to trust Geno. I don't think the QB is giving him any reason to do so.

The offense more than likely could scale back going forward. Not too sure.

The Dark Knight and JetsNation06 like this.
  6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Marty has some really good moments in terms of play calling, I'll give him that. Yet then he reverts to Idiot Marty and that's what kills the flow and rhythm of the O. I still think in base formations the Jets pretty much handle most teams across the O line. Just pound the rock, read option for Geno and play action.

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  7. Big Blocker

As you say no OC is perfect, and any that are will likely or have already been given an HC job. You recognize that the qualities of OC's is relative, and this notion that the team is failing because of Marty and that some other OC would be doing much better is ridiculous.

But let's focus on this trusting Smith concept. I doubt Marty WANTS to trust Smith. To have to trust him.

But lets look at the big picture, and specifically the suggestion that the Jets drastically downgrade the passing game, and in that connection rely more on Ivory in particular. ftr I have no problem at all with giving Ivory more snaps, but that's not really the issue.

Big picture is the whole idea of giving the ball to Smith in camp, in his second year, with no real competition from Vick, was to see if Smith deserves to be kept going forward as the Jet Qb. So, if htat is the big picture, how is that idea, that objective, served by drastically dialing back his role?

This place can be funny at times, but just last week many here were saying the CS was not allowing Smith to play his game. That the CS should show they have more trust in Smith and choose an offensive approach accordingly.

Trust in Smith. Right?

Another point before I proceed is the criticism of the run v. pass ratio has to take into account the Jets were down quickly by two scores. While that does not mean they needed to abandon the run, they in fact did not. But the Bears, like the Packers, stacked the box, Johnson got limited production in ypc, and Smith did get some nice plays off throwing the ball against that D that was loading the box. Also don't forget how decimated their secondary was as the game went on.

Given the specifics, the sorry state of their secondary, the Jets being behind, Johnson's ineffectiveness, the Bears loading the box, and the overall objctive of seeing what Smith can do in his second year, what is the point of following an O that would have dialed back his role?

I understand that different opponents going forward may not present the same opportunities for a passing attack that the Bears did. But there's still that big picture goal of seeing what Smith can do if the CS shows they trust him.

Unfortunately whether they SHOULD trust him is another thing.

Imo his defenders want it both ways. They want to say Smith is the future, and we should "trust" that he is that. But the Jets should also NOT trust him to have a substantial role in the offense.

I think that is a contradiction. If Smith can't show he can get it done with what is a fairly typical role for a Qb in the passing game, why should he be kept in there just to hand off to Ivory four out of five plays?

8. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

It's because Jets fans are idiots. I said this back 2-3 years ago that THIS FANBASE cannot handle a rebuild because this fan base is so short-sighted and reactionary. Every week after a loss it's "FIRE EVERYONE, WE NEED TO BURN EVERYTHING AND START OVER," meanwhile they don't realize that we are still in fact a building team and that well quite frankly you can't build a team on the fly over the off-season. There has to be some LONG TERM vision of what they want this team to be, along with good drafting and smart free agency moves. What is not smart is throwing massive amounts of money at every free agent on the market, like some would have liked us to do this off-season. It just pisses me off that NO ONE remembers how badly Tannenbaum fucked us with those massive contracts and all we got out of it was two AFC Championship appearances where we were clearly outclassed on both sides of the ball. Meanwhile the teams who beat the shit out of us drafted most of their talent with a vision in mind and didn't even spend much money in free agency.

This thread is a joke, it's your classic Jet fan "grass is always greener" BS that clouds their minds. So many of this fan base thinks if you just get a new owner, fire Rex & Idzik, that things would automatically improve. Meanwhile our owner actually gives a damn about the team and has invested resources into this team to turn us from a complete laughingstock like we were in the 70's, some parts of the 80's, and most of the 90's into a franchise that has steadily getting better. Oh and our coach is the winningest in team history. Yeah and I forgot to mention that our GM is doing exactly what this fanbase wanted to do when all they could do is cry and moan about us needing to rebuild our roster from top to bottom 2-3 years ago when we were in cap hell.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

In addition to the stellar seasons of McNabb and Vick, he made a very old Jeff Garcia, and a very young Kevin Kolb look pretty good with the Eagles.
    He also was there for Foles rookie season.

Andy Reid worked with him for 10 seasons, 9 of which Marty was the assistant HC. I don't think there are any hard feelings.
    In terms of him being some flawed OC, that's not at all how he's perceived around the league.
    Here is a small snippet of his resume.

10. 101GangGreen101

Marty was already a Head Coach. Didn't work out with the Lions. I do not believe Marty is the problem in regards to the turnovers and lack of execution.

I believe Marty likes Geno Smith as a QB, I do believe he WANTS to. Not just has to, but wants to. Marty came here to prove something to the league - he wanted to bring the Jets offense from the depths of hell and develop a QB. I think he wants to.

It's in the team's best interest for Geno to be the guy for this team long term. Hence the opportunity this season. Vick is the backup pending Geno's performance. If Geno gained the trust of his coaching staff completely, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I think Marty messed up during the timeout-gate during the Packers game, he wanted to trust Smith more gave him a chance on MNF to prove it and Smith failed. It's simple as that. They may have to dial it back just a little bit and go back to the 50/50 pass run ratio which we did not do the last 2 weeks.

Marty should have kept Ivory in there longer. That was the game Ivory should have received 20+ carries. Running CJ up the middle isn't going to work that effectively. That's not putting him out in open space. The Bears secondary was decimated by injuries, but the skill position player we had weren't all that great neither.

I think the Jets need to continue with Geno, until well Geno does absolutely nothing good on the field and he regresses to the point where he's not effective at all. We should have some more patience, but the patience should be thin at this point. He could bounce back and be that guy from the 1st half Packers game prior to the INT, we don't know. Get him in rhythm early and try and keep that rhythm going throughout the game.

11. Big Blocker

I don't disagree with most of this post. My point in the previous post was that there is a contradiction between the goal of seeing what Smith can do, whether he should be the Jets starting Qb going forward, and the notion that the CS should not give him the ball.

That's really rather straightforward. Now of course within the parameters of the running game Ivory is doing great and Johnson not so much. So yeah, it makes sense to give the ball more to Ivory.

But whether the pass v. run ratio should be drastically rebalanced imo depends on the opponent and game situation more than it should on seeing how Smith can do by NOT letting him pass the ball.

Of course it is also my opinion that we are very close to deciding that Smith cannot get it done, and should not be given many more chances to lose games.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Moronic thread posted by a complete moron and fake ass muslim.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that Morningwheg is not gonna stray too far from his playbook to suit Geno.

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Wow. Okay Barcs . Please tell me what does me being a Muslim have to do with me thinking Rex to be fired? Why did you feel the need to mention that.

15. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

You should read the Bullying thread. They really broke his soul.

16. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I think (hope) we are going to see this Sunday
    Unfortunately, the Lions are ranking pretty high on run defense so far this year.

17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

exactly. The first half of the schedule is a blessing in disguise because the second half gets drastically easier. If we play up to the level we been playing at against these good teams we're going to be fine. Even if its too late by then to make the playoffs, this stretch of games is going to make the team better and work much harder. I just hope we don't ease off the gas pedal once that 2nd half of the schedule does come around and start playing to the opponents level.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not to be a buzzkill, but what makes you think the second half of the schedule will be that much easier? The rest of the AFCE are making adjustments and more likely than not, will be better than what you're seeing right now. The Jets aren't the only team that will improve as the rest of the AFCE isn't gonna stand pat. This will be one of the toughest seasons in quite some time for the Jets. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say within the next 5 years, the AFCE will become a powerhouse division like it was several decades ago. Don't dismiss the Patriots, Bills and Dolphins just because you don't like them. That would be a mistake.

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

compared to the 1st half of the schedule.. its easier. Not a cakewalk i would never say that, no division game is a cake walk for any team unless butt fumbles get involved. To be fair though the patriots are very beatable if we run the right game plan (literally RUN), besides the vikings game (no peterson) they have been given a run for their money early on by the dolphins and raiders. Mia & Buffalo is a toss up... but i know buffalo never finishes that strong

20. NewYorkEveryThing

A little premature.No?