Geno Smith Has To Be Perfect

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Sep 23, 2014.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I miss Stephen Hill,everytime someone on our offense makes a catch I think damn...Hill would have dropped that pass

legler82 likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they didn't attack those fools very much!!!!!

They seemed to throw in Fuller's direction a lot and that kid can play. But what about the other CBs? Also - towards the end of that last drive Chicago was onto their 4th string Safety - a kid brought in off the street this week and they don't try to take advantage of that? How about looking for Cumberland in the middle? or putting Johnson out in a pass route to see if one of those slapdick safeties can figure out how to cover him? No instead they tried basically 4 passes in a row to Fuller's guy. WTF

We saw Cutler take advantage when the Jets had to throw in that one CB off the street. That was a fucking brilliant play - lining up the 2 guys together and crossing them in the middle of the field to see if that kid was in sync with the defense. Why didn't the Jets do the same? Is it Geno Smith or Marty Morningweg?

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. legler82

The bold was baffling. How many plays did the kid have to make before you start going the other way?

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

In game adjustments, or more accurately the lack thereof, has been an area of concern throughout the Ryan era. What i can't tell is whether the CS simply can't make them and be productive, or whether they are held back from making them out of concern that their players are, well, not flexible enough to make them? (Some might say too stupid, but you get the point.)

In this case I would find it very hard to believe that Marty did not notice, even before the game took place (didn't Fuller have interceptions against SF? It was him, right?), that Fuller can play. Yet Smith did not attempt to pick on his teammates particularly, instead of him, and he did get that second interception.

In other words I think it's on Smith.

6. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Well, people here are way too hard on a guy with 19 games experience. I agree there. Especially a guy who played in a high school system in college. But Geno had a bad game. Geno has to learn to throw the ball away. And not just when guys are chasing him out of the pocket. There are passes that even the great ones cannot make. And Interception No. 2 the other night was one of them. Sometimes you have to give up on the play. Live to fight another day. And another thing he must learn is not to go backwards. It is a bad habit he has when the pass blocking breaks down. He keeps backpedaling. As for the rest of it, two hands on the ball, of course, good footwork when he throws. The decision making has to improve. That comes with time. he is better than he was. He took a backward step Monday night. But he did not have much help. I am prepared to wait. All this talk every week about benching. And Rex saying he is the starter this week. That cannot be helpful.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Besides adjusting in game - another thing they never do on offense here that drives me insane is that they don't attempt to take advantage of the strict rules on pass interference.

How many times do you see other teams just throwing up chance balls deep down the field on 1st downs or second and short? A lot. Half the time they aren't really even trying to complete it they are just trying to get a pass interference call. And it works! Manning does that a lot but really most teams do it. You never see it here. Cutler burned us with that bullshit to put them up 14-0 early, Rodgers burned us the week before. The rules are messed up but you got to recognize it and help yourself with them.

8. NewYorkEveryThing

That is why u sit a young QB and play a vet , not saying Vick is our answer but Rex will use the excuse tbat be never had a elite QB and will probably score a decent job next year wit a. Solidified QB in place.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Maybe Rex can start playing redlight/greenlight with Geno?

10. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

It is frustrating to see these types of mistakes, especially the 2nd int. The first int was from a 'cute' play where the design was to fake the screen to one side which disables you from processing the real throw that well. The 2nd int was just inexcusable. Just no way a quality qb makes that play. I am plenty frustrated, all my friends tell me Vick is going to be the starter before long but I hope these mistakes really hit home with Geno. The arm is there, his accuracy is improving. His decision making...well that needs refinement. He has to stop trying to turn 'water into wine', when a play is not there don't force it unless its 4th down. I can live with that 2nd int if it was 4th and goal...at certain points in the game you just have to take your shot.

He better start to understand situational football or else he will be a career backup.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

It's nothing like that. Hill is a track athlete. Decker is a WR. Hill would be >> Decker if he could actually catch the ball. Celek is a TE. Cumberland is a TE. We can compare them. They both have solid hands. They are the same strength. Celek is slightly better blocker. Speed/agility wise Cumberland runs circles around Celek. Keller was a better TE than either and Celeks stats crush his. If Celek was on the Jets his statline goes to garbage.

#71 74, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  12. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

People are not understanding that Geno is actually progressing. Our offense moves the ball very well, as good as it has in quite some time and he's a big part of that reason. The turnovers are killers, of course, but all it takes is him cleaning that shit up and we're fine at QB. His major problem is that he tries to do too much sometimes, where as Sanchez was just totally brain-dead. Geno actually makes reads, he can read the defense, and quite frankly he plays like he understands what the hell he is doing. The problem is that he is pressing too much to make the big play. He's shown us that he can reduce turnovers before and make smart positive plays and that's when he has been playing more loose.

13. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

With the exception of a few depraved souls, I don't think you'll get much disagreement around here on that point.

14. legler82

Next time let's draft a guy that needs to work on just half of the bolded items, at most!

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You're basing this off of Measurable's. Celek is a better route runner, better blocker and uses his size to get open in the end zone. Cumberland is solid but he's very inconsistent and he disappears a lot. Not to mention he's average at best when it comes to blocking and his route running isn't as crisp. As a TE and a football player Celek is better.

16. legler82

I wouldn't concede that Celek is a better blocker.

17. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Indy drafted the best prospect his Manning. NE struck gold in the 6th. GB had Rodgers sit behind Farve for how many years? NO didn't draft Brees

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Every receiving option on the Jets is inconsistent and disappears a lot. Our quarterbacking been inconsistent at best and terrible at worst for Cumberland's entire career here. Put Cumberland on the Eagles his output is probably doubled.

Cumberland has played 2 full seasons so far:

Cumberland totals first 30 games:
    757 yards and 7 TD's.

Celek totals first 32 games:
    496 yards and 2 TD's

Yea, then from 3rd year on he has put up some really nice numbers...
    Eagles team passing yards rank 2009-2013:
    10th, 9th, 9th, 13th, 9th
    Jets team passing yards rank 2009-2013:
    31st, 22nd, 21st, 30th, and 31st.

Celek's best year was 2009. The last Jets player to have more receiving yards than Celek did that year was Cotchery in 2007 - over half a decade ago. The last Jets player to have more rec TD's was Santana Moss in 2003 - an entire decade ago! Celek wasn't even a team leader on the Eagles that year in either category.

On the Jets, Celek doesn't do shit except block...

My original argument was that the only big advantage weapon wise the Eagles had last year was DJax and a slight edge in their run game from McCoy. My post was comparing team weapons from that year, not who's had a better career. In 2013, a younger, faster, lightly worn Cumberland is definitely a better offensive weapon than an older, slow, and heavily worn Celek.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Not true when healthy Holmes was reliable, Keller was reliable Kerley was/is reliable. It's the other dregs like Gates, Hill etc that disappear. Cumberland has talent but he is inconsistent.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem is that this isn't something new. It's generally been the same throughout his tenure here so I doubt that it's a personnel problem. It's a stubbornness problem.