Faulty Reasoning by Chad

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bowleggedwonder, Oct 2, 2006.

1. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I could've sworn if you throw an incomplete pass on 4th down into the endzone it's a touchback, maybe I'm just forgetting it.

Edit: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...4331186.story?coll=cs-bears-asktheref-utility
    Nevermind, seems that rule was changed.

#21 RobA, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey you guys, stop confusing poor RobA.

3. Ya cant fault Magini for being aggressive. i personally would've taken the points as we lost alot of momentum when we threw that int...but at the same time..when you have a juggernaut on its heels, you go for the kill.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Tony I usually think you are right on but saying to kick the FG is also to say don't kick the onside kick. You can't have it both ways... we got rid of Herm for a reason. I agree with the decision but the playcall and the decision by Chad is what needed to be questioned, you don't beat a high powered offense like Indy by kicking FGs. The circumstances dicatated going for it. Now against Jax in what might be a 17-13 game I'd bet Mangini kicks the FG.

5. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As one poster said in a different thread, the decision to go for it wasn't so much the problem as the playcalls prior and including that play, by going through 2 failed running plays a playaction playcall was blantantly obvious there and gave Chad no chance, if we mixed the plays up before, maybe this gamble would have worked also

6. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

There are two issues in this thread:

1) the choice of not going for 3

and

2) the interception

Both need to be separated and should not be confused. Item one has been rehashed to death by this point and should go away.

Item 2. It is silly to think that Chad is not gonna try to get points. The play was breaking down, Chad was in the grasp, so he threw to his one option and it didn't work. Does anyone really think that Chad is gonna play it safe and toss it away when the opportunity for 6 points is possible? Of course not... you're gonna try and make some points happen at that point.

7. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

Ok, the guy is like 1-95 in the redzone with 1 int, cut him some slack. The game is over, Lets go jets in week 5 vs the jags

8. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

Good point. I actually wasn't so upset with the INT because the receiver wasn't open but you're right had Chad thought a bit more and just run out of bounds or threw it out of bounds then Indy is backed up a bit more. Tough to do in the heat of the moment especially if by some weird chance you can get the reception or a penalty you just made something out of nothing.

9. NY-Jets18

NY-Jets18 New Member

i dont think chad had a choice, INT was the best option compared to throwing it to the ground, throwing it away or being sacked

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Throwing the ball away on 4th down would have killed momentum almost as much as a pick would have. At least Pennington tried and was aggressive. You can't agree with going for it and agree with throwing it away. If you're going to be aggressive on this particular play, you need to be aggressive to the fullest extent. If you throw it away, the fans are probably booing. On an interception, at least you tried.

11. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

I definitely see that side of it too, but still agree from a strategy point of view, the INT hurt more then one might have realized at the time and the smart play may have been to throw it away.