Takeaways from our trip to Green Bay

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsmets89, Sep 14, 2014.

1. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

First, let's start with Geno. Kid is so much improved, kept fighting even without his top receiver, and tied the game for us when we needed it. He did his part. Some throws were off, but he's still growing.

Dee Milliner looked lost at times like last year, but looked okay at other times. After watching today I'm thinking we rushed him back from injury. He looked to fade in the second half.

Pryor has gotta make that tackle on Nelson. That was Eric Smith-type angle on the play. He could have just laid the wood on Nelson right into his chest instead of trying to trip him up. They will learn from this. They were facing probably the best QB in the league anyway, and one of the best receivers.

Brian Winters needs to STOP committing penalties and pressures. Just killing us man, he gave up that pressure that led to the Geno pick. Changed the whole game.

Discipline. Penalties galore again...and that 12 man on the field one was another costly penalty as we would have had amazing field position with the interception.

Why keep using CJ when he was utterly ineffective? MM had many questionable play calls during this game. The Vick trick play especially, as it has now failed us twice in 2 weeks.

Most of us expected to lose this game, and even though we did, we still fought. This team is ready to take on the big quarterbacks. It's a learning experience. I'm just happy that this was not a conference game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Take away... we can't hold a 18 point lead.
    We are a ways away from being at championship level.

MexicanJet likes this.
  3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Take away, who gives a shit the officials are corrupt and already decided who they wanted to win

Brook! likes this.
  4. Midlife Crysis

My takeaway is that the team has promise but will not fulfill it if it doesn't get more disciplined. Too many stupid little mistakes, blowing our cool, blown assignments, etc. Also wish we had snapped the ball more quickly in the 4th quarter. Would have helped us to avoid chaotic last second conditions that resulted in the "non-timeout". That aside, not sure why we were milking the clock while trying to come back without timeouts at the end of the game :-(

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Offense can look good in spurts, even if the running game isn't working.

Powell is still a good player for the Jets, and so is Kerley.

Nelson was invisible and so were all our TE for some reason.

Defense is still great at stopping the run, but mobile QBs still give Rex a different wrinkle/challenge.

Secondary is young and bad as expected. It didn't show last week because we weren't facing a good QB or good WR.

Pryor as the deep safety seemed out of position.

Teams won't be able to run downhill on us. Still afraid of more quciker/speedy backs like a Spiller or Bush.

Little things holding the Jets back today. They got away with missed plays against Oakland, won't work against GB. Jets showing they are who we thought they were, an average team..

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Geno worked with what he had, still made mistakes but he is improving.

Our CB's suck. They need to step up or we are in trouble over the next 5 weeks.

Mo Wilk getting thrown out isn't acceptable, but what I didn't like is how GB didn't get flagged at all. David Bakthari iniated the brawl.

Hope Decker is alright.

Run defense was still solid even after losing Wilk.

We had a couple bad calls, need to clean that up.

Kerley needs to be more involved.

Not even going to address the timeout, it's typical Jets. Were used to this.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

My takeaway is i shouldn't have watched with packer fans, and I'm glad i didn't go to the game.

8. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Will we ever be that quality ?

9. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Wow, this was such a typical Jets game. Half the time while I was watching it, i kept massaging my temples to control the blood pressure and smiling to myself as I kept repeating, yep, it's the Jets.

The timeout of course. Wow. This game will probably be known as The Timeout Game from now on. I can see how fans are pissed at the refs, but really, it was just a stupid situation and bad luck. But I was scratching my head on that one until they showed the slo mo recap.

Then how about the David Harris interception that was nullified because of 12 men on the field (who were like milliseconds away from getting off).

Or Wilkerson getting thrown out. Or Decker getting injured. Or instead of just getting abused like everyone predicted, the Jets getting out to a 21-3 lead and then losing anyway. Yep, it's the Jets.

We are all bummed right now, but let's look at things in context. Everyone thought Packers would beat us, we go into their stadium, and play a very competitive game. So while we lost, we still showed that we are a decent team that has a chance at making the playoffs.

I thought Geno started really well. I don't blame him for the interception at all, as he was hit during the throwing motion. However, after the interception, something happened to him, where he lost some confidence, and the offense sputtered for the rest of the game. He needs to address that, and handle the ups and downs better. Overall though, I am still happy with his progress.

I am really unhappy with offensive playcalling. There are too many running plays where Ivory or CJ start running sideways, and usually they end up being tackled quickly. We should instead try to have our offensive line go right at the defense, and have Ivory or somebody pound the ball downhill. Also i think CJ should be used more on screens and dump offs and Ivory more on straight running plays, as he seems more effective there. Finally, enough trick plays. That thing with Vick was embarassing, just like last week. Seems like we are not calling enough passes to tight ends either. You almost never see Amaro or Cumberland.

Winters was terrible today and a major factor in the loss. He let the packers DE blow by him and hit Geno causing that interception. Later on, Winters held him and still allowed him to sack Geno, ruining another drive. I was hoping he would improve from last year, but this is not encouraging at all.

Our front seven on defense was outstanding early today. Richardson got that fumble recovery early, and played like a major disruptive force in the first quarter. He was pressuring Rodgers almost every play it seemed. Coples was in Rodgers face as well, Davis got a couple of sacks, and Pace got one. They also shut down the running game. Unfortunately Wilkerson was mostly invisible, and as the game went on, our pressure on Rodgers disappeared. I don' t know if it was him getting rid of the ball quicker or what, but he was much more comfortable later on.

The bad news is, we still got no secondary. Wow. I don't know who looked worse, Milliner, Allen, Walls, or Pryor, but Nelson was just killing it all game long, and other receivers had their moments. Hopefully Milliner gets better with more playing time, but there was something wrong there. On many plays, Pryor just seemed to be in the wrong place. Instead of helping the CB over the top, he would stay in midfield until too late, and arrive way late. I really hope they can iron that out.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

DISCIPLINE

In all facets of the game...WE LACK DISCIPLINE

Say it for me Arnold........

[​IMG]

MexicanJet likes this.
  11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Geno still crawled into a shell when we needed him big time after GB cut the lead. MM's play calling was fucking shit.

12. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Not until we find the discipline to tackle well, not create penalties and play solid football for 4 quarters.
    We got beat by a much better team, we should be looking at what they did to win, and at what we did to lose.
    Blaming the refs is fine if that makes anyone feel better, but it was the Jets that collapsed and gave away the game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

The only takeaway is this: The Jets need to win games convincingly, because if it's close, the refs will do whatever they have to do give it to the other team. We've seen this script too many times to think it could be a coincidence. Someone upstairs has a vendetta against us, and time and time again it's been the officiating costing us a game. We can't afford to let that happen.

Brook! likes this.
  14. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Snakebitten...

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Geno for the most part looked okay. He's still going to make mistakes. He had some iffy plays/throws. He did his part to at least tie the game. But the OC fucked us.

We shot ourselves in the foot. The Geno int was the start. Then the defense lets up a 97 yard TD drive. But you have to tip your hat to Rodgers. He's a beast.

16. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

That implies that it's random.

17. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

I think the league doesn't want anyone else but the patriots win the division.

18. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

you cant have watched todays game and seriously believe this can you?

19. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Here's my thoughts: the Secondary is young and bad, the next 5 weeks will be interesting .... Geno has improved quite a bit but he's still a project..... CJ and Ivory where disappointing today..... Having said all that, I think if we can get through this stretch of tough qb's around .500 we can compete for the playoffs.....

20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Offensive play calling was terrible. There was one set in mind where it was first down and they ran the ball for one yard. Then they ran the ball on second and 9 for...one yard. 3rd and 8...run the ball for short gain. Passing when we should have been running. Running when we should be passing.